Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
.22 Hornet is a better tool, and more versatile if you load your own.

Originally Posted by cra1948
Got my first .22 magnum when I was 16, an Anschutz 141M which is the last gun I'd ever get rid of. With a cheap 4X Weaver B4 rimfire scope it far out-killed the .22lr I'd been using up to that time. Stuff the size of porcupines and coons were decisively dead with one shot. Woodchucks died from body hits out to 150 yards, the two longest measured shots I made on them being 152 and 157 yards. IME the .22 magnum is a much more decisive killer of small/medium sized stuff than the .22 LR without getting into the hassle of reloading.

Even though I reload, there have been times where it was easier or faster to grab my 22 Magnum. I have a Marlin bolt that does duty as a pest gun. We had a driving shed (now gone) that used to attract skunks. It was about 50 yards away from the back porch. I didn't want to get too close and the 22 Magnum had the reach to whack them at that distance and farther. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Steve you remember during Covid that you praised Trudeau and supported Canadians being under house arrest for not getting the vaccine the didn't even work? Remember when you praised Trudeau for closing churches, Canadian businesses ruining millions of lives. You even celebrated the Canadian truckers being arrested

You're a fraud and we don't forget

Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Got my first .22 magnum when I was 16, an Anschutz 141M which is the last gun I'd ever get rid of. With a cheap 4X Weaver B4 rimfire scope it far out-killed the .22lr I'd been using up to that time. Stuff the size of porcupines and coons were decisively dead with one shot. Woodchucks died from body hits out to 150 yards, the two longest measured shots I made on them being 152 and 157 yards. IME the .22 magnum is a much more decisive killer of small/medium sized stuff than the .22 LR without getting into the hassle of reloading.

Even though I reload, there have been times where it was easier or faster to grab my 22 Magnum. I have a Marlin bolt that does duty as a pest gun. We had a driving shed (now gone) that used to attract skunks. It was about 50 yards away from the back porch. I didn't want to get too close and the 22 Magnum had the reach to whack them at that distance and farther. smile

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Yeah Steve...my aversion to reloading isn't reloading per se. Rather I like having a .22 with a bit more smack than a .22 LR, but not the intensity of a typical .22 CF, without having to mess around developing reduced loads etc. At one point in my life that stuff was fun, in fact, I had a pretty good 2000 fps load for the 63 grain Sierra semi-pointed in my .222. These days I like to keep things a bit more simple, one load per rifle. For a number of years my .25-20 pretty much worked for the same sort of things my .22 magnum always has, but my son has it right now and, when I mentioned bringing it home recently he got all down in the mouth and talked about how much he really loves that rifle.... what can I say?

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah Steve...my aversion to reloading isn't reloading per se. Rather I like having a .22 with a bit more smack than a .22 LR, but not the intensity of a typical .22 CF, without having to mess around developing reduced loads etc. At one point in my life that stuff was fun, in fact, I had a pretty good 2000 fps load for the 63 grain Sierra semi-pointed in my .222. These days I like to keep things a bit more simple, one load per rifle. For a number of years my .25-20 pretty much worked for the same sort of things my .22 magnum always has, but my son has it right now and, when I mentioned bringing it home recently he got all down in the mouth and talked about how much he really loves that rifle.... what can I say?

I think for some people, it's a realization that the cartridge fills a niche.

For me, it was pests. My old high school buddy lived on a farm a few miles from me. I was at his place and he showed me his new 9422. I had never seen or shot one, so we took it out back to shoot it. His dad ended up using it more than he did! smile

Your son obviously has a soft spot for it. It fills a niche for him too!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ribka
Steve you remember during Covid that you praised Trudeau and supported Canadians being under house arrest for not getting the vaccine the didn't even work? Remember when you praised Trudeau for closing churches, Canadian businesses ruining millions of lives. You even celebrated the Canadian truckers being arrested

Anyway…

I recently got in to the .17HMR. I’ve had a .22WMR in the past in the form of a 9422M that I had to sell many moons ago (sure miss it now!), but while that was a great rifle, the .17 is a real step up! I plan to use it for light varmint hunting/squirrels, but aside from that, it’s just a lot of fun to shoot! Basically no recoil, accurate as all get out, very flat shooting, and it sounds just like it looks: like a miniature rifle round. The only thing not to like is the per-shot cost, which is still a good bit less than even .223 right now if all you’re doing is poking holes in paper at 200y and in. Get one!

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have had at least one .22 Rimfire Magnum since age 16, which was over half-a-century ago, and a .17 HMR since a year after the round appeared in 2002. Have found plenty of uses for both, where they work far better than the .22 LR.

Also have owned .22 Hornets for many years, along with .17 Hornets. They work great too--but if somebody can't find different fine uses for a .22 LR, .22 WMR, .17 HMR and .17 or .22 Hornet then they don't qualify as a real rifle loony.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Basher
Originally Posted by ribka

Anyway…

I recently got in to the .17HMR. I’ve had a .22WMR in the past in the form of a 9422M that I had to sell many moons ago (sure miss it now!), but while that was a great rifle, the .17 is a real step up! I plan to use it for light varmint hunting/squirrels, but aside from that, it’s just a lot of fun to shoot! Basically no recoil, accurate as all get out, very flat shooting, and it sounds just like it looks: like a miniature rifle round. The only thing not to like is the per-shot cost, which is still a good bit less than even .223 right now if all you’re doing is poking holes in paper at 200y and in. Get one!
oops ... yeah all Canadians aren't liberals... okay...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been a while since I used one on meat, but a CCI Stinger did yeoman work on groundhogs, DRTs with head and chest shots. If you have a rifle that shoots them accurately enough, they can be a workable alternative to buying a .22 mag if your needs in that line are limited.

Not meant in any way to discourage the purchase of a new rifle!

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Been a while since I used one on meat, but a CCI Stinger did yeoman work on groundhogs, DRTs with head and chest shots. If you have a rifle that shoots them accurately enough, they can be a workable alternative to buying a .22 mag if your needs in that line are limited.

Not meant in any way to discourage the purchase of a new rifle!

Speaking for myself, I tried the peppier 22 LR loads, but had to step up my game. They weren't quite what I needed.

The first thing I noticed about using the 22 Mag loads was the amount of damage and faster kills they provided. Most 22 Mag loads use HP bullets. They really knocked what they hit for a loop compared to the tamer LRs. Even eastern coyotes. Again, the distances were less than 100 yards.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nope, i am not a salesman! Make up your own mind, it is not a difficult decision.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cs2blue
Nope, i am not a salesman! Make up your own mind, it is not a difficult decision.

Its an easy decision. Everyone should have at least one 22 mag. I have had many over the years, but down to just a CZ that is scary accurate.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have .22 WMR and .17 HMR, find the .17 to be more accurate. My Annie really likes TNT ammo.

I bought this .17 used and sometimes one can find a deal. They're a bit pricey, new retail.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My .22 WMR is a newer version T Bolt. I did some work on the trigger.

I like the new mag design. The plastic stock version has a place in the butt for an extra mag.

It's accurate enough, can't keep up with the Annie, but wouldn't expect it to.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have .22 WMR and .17 HMR, find the .17 to be more accurate. My Annie really likes TNT ammo.

I bought this .17 used and sometimes one can find a deal. They're a bit pricey, new retail.

DF

Nice wood on that.

This is my CZ 452 22LR. You can't beat the price or the finish.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Nice wood on that.

You have some really good wood on that one, better than average.

DF

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by steveredd1
wanted to go that route, but price of shells for it, changed my mind and unboxed a 700 lvsf in 223 and with 40gr vmax and blue dot I'm better off
grin

Great post! whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=ribka]Steve you remember during Covid that you praised Trudeau and supported Canadians being under house arrest for not getting the vaccine the didn't even work? Remember when you praised Trudeau for closing churches, Canadian businesses ruining millions of lives. You even celebrated the Canadian truckers being arrested

You're a fraud and we don't forget {Quote}

another GREAT post....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

DF

Nice wood on that.

DF

Thanks. It's luck of the draw unless you buy it at your LGS. smile This rifle was ordered from a catalog.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

Nice wood on that.

DF

Thanks. It's luck of the draw unless you buy it at your LGS. smile This rifle was ordered from a catalog.
You need to buy some lottery tickets.

Ha!

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My BRNO shoots what it likes pretty well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 42 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,571
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.