Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I purchased a pre 64 m94, ( manufacture date 1957) in 30-30 at a gun show in Conroe, Tx recently. On top of the lever there is a 8 digit number preceded by the letters "TX". These numbers have been engraved by hand,with a engraving tool. The guy I bought it from hadnt noticed these numbers. I called him and told him about these numbers he said that if this gun was a prison issue, or border patrol issue it could raise the value sustantially. My question is does anyone have any idea how to track the history of this rifle. Would winchester tell me who or what organization originally bought it?

Thanks, Ace

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Highly unlikely that anyone would be able to track the history of your rifle and the Winchester Co. that manufactured your rifle no longer exists.
A pic would be interesting.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's a possibility you could get info by getting it lettered by Cody Firearms museum and if it was shipped directly to them. Could also be 50 bucks wasted.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
There's a possibility you could get info by getting it lettered by Cody Firearms museum and if it was shipped directly to them. Could also be 50 bucks wasted.

There are no existing Factory Records for M1894’s manufactured after 1906. Polishing Room Records which indicate the day your gun was serialized most likely are available for this gun. There is no other info available.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Unfortunately my guess is this is someone’s drivers license number. My TX license number also has 8 digits.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Highly unlikely that anyone would be able to track the history of your rifle and the Winchester Co. that manufactured your rifle no longer exists.
A pic would be interesting.

Originally Posted by Poconojack

There are no existing Factory Records for M1894’s manufactured after 1906. Polishing Room Records which indicate the day your gun was serialized most likely are available for this gun. There is no other info available.

I agree with Poconojack and I will add that's it's gonna be hard to track and even find out anything on it, However I wouldn't give up trying to find out anything more if I could as Information seems to develop as we are getting more and more available with the Internet and Collections developing more and more and some older information being disproved and other facts coming to light.
As a guest you can ask a General Question on the WACA (Winchester Collectors Arms Association), site and possibly send pictures to a Member who will post them for you and possibly get some help or information. There are Members from Texas that might be able to Help or possibly know someone that can.

Good Luck,

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a 700 Classic with was close to 24 characters - letters and numeral digits hand engraved under the barrel. I got my money back. Whoever you bought it from should refund your money. If he doesn’t post his miserable name and don’t do business with him again.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can't help but also can't figure out the problem. It is a used gun with a history. I have bought many guns with such markings. Bought a Winchester model 12 in 20 gauge with a slip-on pad. Under the cuff of the pad were initials of previous owner. Now instead of being hidden these initials are displayed. Part of the gun's history. However, I bought a new in the box, 1951 year of manufacture Smith and Wesson K-38 that had a man's driver's license number etched into the side plate. Whoever "DL 9125" is, I will hunt you down and inscribe the same on your forehead.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 450yukon, 12 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,535
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.