Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by hanco
Blackhead doesn’t have any pics

If blackhead turns into a pimple, will it be on Geedubya's ass?

Might turn into a boil

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
So I guess my opinion is NYS deer hunting can be pretty good.

Great bucks! Danged nice!

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

I hunt the Norhern Zone, in the Adirondacks.

If I see a deer a day I consider that day successful.

I'm not a meat hunter, I'd rather have a good piece of beef, so I only shoot old mature deer and have let small bucks walk.

Plus when I'm 4 or 5 miles from the truck I don't wanna be packing out a dink.

My best to date is a 137 inch 11point

“Factio democratica delenda est"
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As someone posted earlier, "Upstate" means different things to different people and can be used to describe vastly different areas of the state with very different hunting conditions. I was born in the Adirondacks (in the same house my father and uncle were born in), grew up hunting there and now guide hunting there. If you have any specific questions about the Adirondacks feel free to PM me.

Frank

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We do the Catskills - usually Sullivan & Delaware counties. Private property is preferable but both places we hunt touch fairly vast areas of state land. Fortunately we are able to punch most of our tags each year for both bow and gun with a couple decent bucks.

Only small problems I can see is a lack of decent farmland for wildlife nourishment. Also, the wariness and high alert mode every deer exhibits because of the sheer number of hunters in the area - most especially noted in the Sullivan Cty area.

-Ken

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by keystoneben
My uncle's got two cabins in New York (Norwich area). One's got power, etc. That's surrounded by farmland and woods, so it's basically like hunting around here.

He has another piece that has a small cabin off a seasonal road. Surrounded by 4000 acres of state forest. A lot of fun to hunt. Seems like I've been going up every other year and it's always a good time. Its been a little tougher to get up there now that PA's opener is on Saturday. But I make extra effort when there's snow on the ground.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great pics Ben! Love them old hunting camps.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fshaw
As someone posted earlier, "Upstate" means different things to different people and can be used to describe vastly different areas of the state with very different hunting conditions.

Understood. Kind of like "hunting in Texas" or "high fence hunting."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You shot those all in NJ, right? wink whistle

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by keystoneben
My uncle's got two cabins in New York (Norwich area). One's got power, etc. That's surrounded by farmland and woods, so it's basically like hunting around here.

He has another piece that has a small cabin off a seasonal road. Surrounded by 4000 acres of state forest. A lot of fun to hunt. Seems like I've been going up every other year and it's always a good time. Its been a little tougher to get up there now that PA's opener is on Saturday. But I make extra effort when there's snow on the ground.

Great pics Ben! Love them old hunting camps.

Yeah, I look forward to the camping as much as the hunting.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bbassi
You shot those all in NJ, right? wink whistle

Heck I didn't even know there were deer in NJ............

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve been hunting in Western New York for about 25 years now. We hunt public land in Allegany county. Pretty much the same woods hunting as here in PA. I have taken a few nice bucks over the years, but none in the last 8 years. Pass over a lot of dink bucks…but still have a great time with my hunt buddies. Pic from last year…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
I’ve been hunting in Western New York for about 25 years now. We hunt public land in Allegany county. Pretty much the same woods hunting as here in PA. I have taken a few nice bucks over the years, but none in the last 8 years. Pass over a lot of dink bucks…but still have a great time with my hunt buddies. Pic from last year…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dang, could you get a citation for not wearing an orange hat??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I killed my biggest public land whitetail not far from New Paltz, NY.

Scored 154. Got him way back in the mountains. I was younger and could hike miles like it was nothing.

I loved hunting in upstate NY. Beautiful area. Some huge deer. Great people. I would like to go back but don’t know anyone out there anymore.

RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice bucks guys…. Like others have said depends where in the state your talking and what your looking for. I live on “The Island” LOL . We have some good deer here if you have some time and bow hunt. Lots of new areas opened up in the last decade that had not been hunted for 100 years. Everyone and their brother in law had 180- 200” deer in the yard on the north shore. First year it opened they all killed the swing set buck and sent pictures into trophy hunter magazine like they had accomplished something special. On the public land side yeah you could probably do a p&y deer every year with a good chance at a 140 or better if you have a lot of time on the island. Southern tier region has a crazy amount of deer but good luck finding one north of 100 inches on a regular basis ,it is a meat hunt with small basket bucks for the most part. Northern part of the state by the Daks does not have the numbers like the south but when you find them they will usually be bigger deer. They have not issued a doe permit in the ADK state park for as long as I can remember and the forest is very old growth with little food in it. Western part of the state is still holding a good bit of Agriculture and dairy but it’s hard to get on private if your not a local or new to the area.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.