Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
My 24 year old daughter is a moron and will not be talked out of driving to Anchorage in about 10 days. I am going with her to give support etc. so she is not driving alone with a toddler across Canada and Alaska.

Any advice on what supplies to have for this trip would be appreciated.

Leaving Kansas City MO and driving through North Dakota, Edmonton Alberta, White Horse in the Yukon, Tok AK, ending up in Anchorage.

Map app says 60 hrs of driving, 3,600 miles.

So what are gas prices in Canada and Alaska? What is a reasonable expectation on days of travel?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bring sleeping bags, real sleeping bags and enough clothing that will get you to -40 inside the bags for a last resort camp out in a dead car. Keep the phones charged and call ahead along the route to confirm what's open as far as gas stations, hotels etc. Keep track of weather and be open to hanging out in town if the weather turns. Get the car in for radiator flush and upgrade on coolant for -40F (maybe replace the thermostat). Might want to replace belts with new and throw a set of chains that fit in the trunk. Bring some jumper cables. Make sure the little one has good clothing as well. I'd take a small camp stove and pot along too just in case the small chance you get stuck for a day and need to melt snow. Don't forget a nice camera.

Keep in mind you probably won't need any of the above but better to have it and not need it than.....

Have a good trip.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What model/year of car?
Check weather forecast before setting off.
You all have passports? If not, you’ll need proof of citizenship.

Last edited by Stammster; 02/22/23.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
She will almost certainly be driving in periods of bad weather/roads. When she crosses into BC she will be required to have snow tires on her car. Check and see if there is space on the ferry at Belling
Bellingham. I can tell you it is a LONG drive across Canada.
Gas in the Yukon was as high as $11 when i came though last May

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been a long time since I drove up there, but i'd say 6 to 8 days (complicated by toddler!). Used to be a lot fewer gas stations and motels available during winter - and March is still winter up there! Need enougth gear to survive in case of breakdow/accident/whatever - food, water, heat source, cold weather gear, shovel, tow strap, good spare tire - and good tires suitable for roads that have not been salted bare! Not talking surviving for weeks, but at least a couple days just in case. Pay attention to weather forecasts and plan fuel stops.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Tag

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Buy her and the toddler a plane ticket; drive the car up in a couple months. Car rentals are cheap right now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'd also post on the Canada forum, our northern cousins will be happy to give guidance.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does not sound like a good plan.

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don't honk at moose. They tend to take it offense at it.

Take a couple of good flashlights and a basic tool kit. Bottled water. Granola/protein bars. Toilet paper and paper towels.

In Canada, strictly observe the speed limit.

It's not likely to be a dangerous trip, but probably not very fun, either.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B3

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Stammster
What model/year of car?

2019 GMC Acadia.

We do have passports and will be taking tire chains. Will have the oil changed and fluids looked over before leaving.

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Buy her and the toddler a plane ticket; drive the car up in a couple months. Car rentals are cheap right now.

We have tried. She's being a numbskull about this and was going to go it alone with the toddler grandbaby.

The plan is so stupid that at a minimum I have to go supervise.

We have offered to pay to ship the car and she's having none of it. Stupid plan.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by davet
Originally Posted by Stammster
What model/year of car?

2019 GMC Acadia.

We do have passports and will be taking tire chains. Will have the oil changed and fluids looked over before leaving.
Dave,
Honest question - have you ever spent 60 hours in a car with a toddler? You aren’t going to be pulling 12 hour days with no stops. Think this over carefully.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by davet
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

We have tried. She's being a numbskull about this and was going to go it alone with the toddler grandbaby.

The plan is so stupid that at a minimum I have to go supervise.

We have offered to pay to ship the car and she's having none of it. Stupid plan.
Copy.

I’d encourage you to work on the presentation. Your offer is a solid one, and would seem to me the most prudent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Couple of things,

I would cross the border in Montana and drive to Calgary then up to Edmonton. Better roads, may be farther.

Plan all your stops ahead of time, never get below 1/2 tank of gas. I always carried an extra 5 gallons just in case. Remember not all the locations are open all the time, it is better to drive off the top end of your fuel tank than the bottom. If you do not do this you could find your self stranded, if a gas station does not open.

Motels, do your planning and make sure you have phone numbers if you do not make reservations in advance.

You should be prepared for some road closures.

I would also suggest a camp stove with at least 1 gallon of fuel. A nice came pot and bullion cubes with instant rice and water and you are set.

I am not sure if you carry a tire inflator, that works off your battery. I may come in handy.

Snow tires and chains should be a given. You may not need the chains.

Snow shovel.

As mentioned prime sleeping bags, a fair amount of groceries just in case. I always travel with a case or 2 of bottled water.

Make sure you have a real spare tire. I always traveled with 2.

Windshield washing fluid pick up the -20 stuff, you will use the heck out of it. Make sure the vehicle washer lines are cleared out before you depart. If they freeze up you are in for a long trip. I always take extra washer fluid along.

The ferry is a good way to go. Make reservation for your vehicle and book a cabin. It is a nice way to travel and you will see quite a bit.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
So, what is her reasoning for "gotta go now"?

I think, therefore I am, conservative.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That’s the stupidest thing I’ve read all week. It’ll be dangerous and take at least 2X longer than you expect! Heed the advice above about survival gear if you folks decide to attempt it.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
more power to you man for doing this

I would have zero desire to even discuss doing it much less going thru with it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JeffP40
So, what is her reasoning for "gotta go now"?

Her husband is Air Force and going directly from Turkey to Anchorage, and she is taking the pay out for travel expenses instead of flying/shipping to get on base.

I have no idea why she is doing it this way. Nobody thinks this is the right move except the 24 year old with her head up her ass.

Her full plan was to get in the car and start driving north west with a toddler and dog. F'n stupid.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
So her husband supports the idea?

Risk exposure- and mitigation - is real.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.