-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Air Force husband wants her to do this with his toddler?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KFWA

I don't get it at all. Doesn't make any sense in my opinion. We have offered everything we can and she's stuck on driving with me or without me.

It took several discussion with her to get it through her head that I was going along and not letting her drive it alone.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Still the heart of winter.....What could go wrong?

He went over yonder way
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
It's been mentioned before, the alaska marine hwy might be the answer. If they are running.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sounds like a fun trip. Good luck.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Heym06
It's been mentioned before, the alaska marine hwy might be the answer. If they are running.

Its my understanding that the ferry to Anchorage won't be open until May.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two spare tires for sure.

I drove the Alaskan Highway in a CJ-5 pulling a little utility trailer after college with a buddy for a fishing trip. We did it in June and camped most of the way. We brought rifles and shotguns because that’s what we always did anywhere we went.

Not knowing the laws of Canada, crossing the border on the Top of the World Highway, the customs asked if we had firearms and we said yes. Told them what they were. He wanted to see them. They were buried in the trailer. He didn’t want us to have to unload the thing so he just let us on our way

Unfortunately, I don’t think you’ll have a chance to bring a firearm with you unless you hide it somewhere. I wouldn’t want to take that drive in the world we live in today without a firearm for protection from man and beast.

No way I’d do it in the winter.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done this the week before Christmas one year pulling a trailer. I did have an itinerary put together, I'll see if I can find it.

Some things off the top of my head.

Along with the wiper fluid, add a sponge, your headlights will get so dirty you can see.

I would try to drive the Fort Nelson to Whitehorse stretch during daylight as much as possible. You might want to spend the night in Watson Lake.

Plan on wildlife being in the road.

Have everybody in the car and rolling at least 30 minutes before the sun comes up. You need to make every minute of daylight count.

Filling up 5 gallon can of gas at Fort Nelson wouldn't be a bad idea.

Don't worry about exchanging money, just go in Walmart and buy something, they will do the conversion and give Canadian money back.

Tell your debit cards your going out of the country so they will work.

I would throw some zip ties and a small cheap tarp to block my radiator off if the heater stops working.

Take your jack and lug wrench out of it's holder before you leave your house. Better yet, buy a cheap breakover and a socket that fits your lugnuts.

I've had worse weeks down south with ice than driving that trip.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would not drive the ALCAN in March period, let alone with a toddler. I worked with a guy that PCS’d out of Elmendorf in March about 9 years ago. Our top civilian in the unit told him not to do it, but he said he had to get his camper to the lower 48. Three days later we got photos of his truck and camper with broken axles from frost heaves he hit in Canada.

Now others I know have driven it and made it, but most that did in the winter months that said they would not do it again. I hope it goes well if she dies drive it.

Last edited by Hudge; 02/22/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In additional to all the other items mentioned, a block or radiator hose heater wouldn't be a terrible idea either. She may experience temps and driving conditions that she has never seen before.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B3

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Two spare tires for sure.

I drove the Alaskan Highway in a CJ-5 pulling a little utility trailer after college with a buddy for a fishing trip. We did it in June and camped most of the way. We brought rifles and shotguns because that’s what we always did anywhere we went.

Not knowing the laws of Canada, crossing the border on the Top of the World Highway, the customs asked if we had firearms and we said yes. Told them what they were. He wanted to see them. They were buried in the trailer. He didn’t want us to have to unload the thing so he just let us on our way

Unfortunately, I don’t think you’ll have a chance to bring a firearm with you unless you hide it somewhere. I wouldn’t want to take that drive in the world we live in today without a firearm for protection from man and beast.

No way I’d do it in the winter.

I don't see why taking a firearm would be a problem. Even more so with AK being the destination. I take firearms to Canada every year while hunting. Just fill out the form and pay a small fee. No handguns of course.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Disable her car and make her fly!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was stationed in Alaska in the 1970's. As per those who drove up, the roads were better on the Alcan because they had to plow the snow off and they were froze. In the summer the gravel roads turned to mush. It's my understanding that the Alcan is all paved or blacktop now. I personally think you would be better off driving to Washinton and going north on the Alcan and spending as little time in Canada as possible due to a variety of unknow issues. It is probably longer but much safer. The Alcan is prepared for drivers in the winter and the summer due to the civilization and services along it.

Back then you had to plan on at least both headlights being knocked out and having your windshield trashed before arriving in Anchorage.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 02/22/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A family friend helped build the AlCan highway, he had some stories to tell.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Alcan is 1422 Miles long and I live at MP 1415 and have driven it dozens of times any time of year. My Dad worked on Alcan and Canol construction 1942-1945.

There are many good suggestions above but I'll highlight a few with my comments.

Talk to truckers. You'll find 99% very helpful and knowledgeable. If they are holed up in a town, you stay there also until conditions improve.

Best route, IMO, for you: Portal ND, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Valley View, Dawson Creek. I don't stay in North Battleford....gangs!

Is the vehicle 4WD? If so, I no longer carry chains but tires are all near new with a real spare where I can get at it and jack and block of 2x6 handy.
The surface isn't the tire breaker it once was and good radials are quite trouble free.

OEM engine block heater and cord. Beware of hose heaters etc.

Contact Creek will be cheapest fuel and good folks that stay open all winter.

The road is most crooked and hilly in Toad River area and usually has stone sheep and caribou on the road.
From Muncho to Watson Lake there will be wood bison on the road. Do not stop to gawk as the old bulls may bash your radiator in.

There's a lot of crummy motels along the way especially Watson Lake.

Notify your credit card company that you will be international. Most businesses will not give you the exchange rate. It's dollar for dollar.

Windshields are a consumable!

You don't need to invest in expensive sleeping bags. A couple down quilts will work just fine.

From Kluane Lake to Beaver Creek is permafrost and muskeg country so the frost heaves can be huge......slow down for 150 miles.
Don't overload the vehicle.

Fast Eddie's in Tok is a good place to overnight with clean rooms and good food. The last leg from Tok to Anchorage will include some very mountainous driving.

Bring your bino and camera.

Lighten up and support your daughter. Enjoy another adventure.

Best of luck!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Tag

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks Vern

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I can’t imagine…..

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I’ve personally driven this route either to Fairbanks or Anchorage. It’s paved now so broken windshields and headlights may not occur. Gas stations can be far apart as stated. Prepare for 40 below and hope you don’t run into it. Stuff fails in cold weather. In the 14 trips from ND toAlaska I didn’t have many problems but I was prepared. Changing a tire at 40 below sucks. Good luck. Edk

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by KFWA

Kind of what I was thinking. I think I'd want my family to wait a month or two for warmer weather. Sometimes we underestimate how unforgiving nature can be.

I think Vern has a future as a travel agent. Good on him for all the inside info.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (219DW, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,353
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.