Print Thread
Hop To
W
wagner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I need a new vest….I’ve been using my primos vest for a long time. It’s been great but it’s just too big. I’m looking for something smaller that breathes better.
I’m 5’8” 165 and need a small/medium vest. Don’t care about price. I like one or two big front pockets and rear game pouch.
I’m currently looking at the Sitka but it lacks the rear game pouch.

My primos
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like the new one the THP guys are pushing.

W
wagner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jstocks
I like the new one the THP guys are pushing.
Tethrd m2. That one certainly is on the list.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ol Tom Gunslinger is a really nice vest.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The badlands is very nice actually and stays above the hips

Alps is good after the dang frame removed

The prois female turkey vest is actually super slick. Minimalist which is nice. Doesn’t look feminine either. Tried my buddies wife’s on and was impressed. I’d use it if I needed one

The tethered is a good design it seems but 300$. Would love to try one out and see

The Sitka sucked IMO.

IC B2

W
wagner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
A women’s vest!!🤨. Lol I’m sure it’s nice. I will consider it.

Yeah the badlands looks pretty sweet!

Problem with the Sitka is storage. But it’s super compact and I love that. The problem with 95% of the vests out there is they are giant and don’t fit me right. So these newer runnin and gunnin vests are very attractive to me.

Last edited by wagner; 02/22/23.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best vest I have or have ever had is the Will Primos Signature turkey vest. I like everything about it, though it can get a bit warm on hot days.

The Mossy Oak Longbeard Elite is very good, to, and gives a bit more ventilation with its open sides.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 02/22/23.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm still using the vest I got probably 30 years ago, or whenever it was. Keep patching it together and it keeps serving me perfectly. So I guess I'm no help with new/newer vests...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’m telling you. I know it’s a women’s vest. But it was very minimalist and well made. The tethered vest is the closest thing to it but pretty expensive.

The badlands on Amazon in sale I believe right now in bottomland. Badland has a killer warranty btw

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve used a cabelas tactical tater for the past 10 years or so. Great vest, but has so many pockets I end up carrying a bunch of crap I think I might need, but never actually use. I bought a Sitka vest a couple weeks ago, loaded the stuff in it that I frequently used, put it on, and adjusted it. Now, I haven’t actually used it in the woods yet, or done any long sits with it. But so far I love the way it fits and functions. I’m sold on it.

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
IC B3

W
wagner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I appreciate all the feedback! You guys have given me some great options.

It looks like our vest options are expanding every year too accommodate everyone’s needs.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I just got an email ad from Midway with this one in it. Looks pretty cushy.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...one&utm_campaign=free-shipping-close

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This has turned out to be a pretty good, minimalist vest. It's an Alps Longspur. Alps sells two versions, one with a seat and one without. I got the one without and just hang my own seat on it.

On the back there is a fanny pack with different compartments inside, a water bottle holder, and up highter that pouch has a game bag in it. I just let my mossy oak seat from walmart hang from it.

The front has carrying pockets for two pot calls, a box call, mouth calls, strikers, shells. It will carry my smart phone in them, too.

My only issue with it is that the straps attached to the two call compartments that close the front aren't adjustable and I'm pretty big. (Other straps are ajustable.) If I'm wearing a coat underneath it, the bottom strap can get kind tight. So I cut the buckles off and used paracord and sliding cord adjusters in their place. I can wear it over a heavy coat now with plenty of room to spare.

W
wagner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I ordered the Sitka. I have a lot of Sitka gear and it’s of good quality, I would expect the same from their vest. Free returns,..so I figured why not.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You guys would laugh at my vest. It's old and worn out... like me!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The vest I've worn most was a Bucklick Creek Vest - before they got bought out by BPS. They also had the most phenominal customer service. Back in the 90s I bought one of their vests and the pot call pockets were too small. I sent them a letter telling them that pot call compartments needed to be redesigned. A year or so later, I got a call from them telling me that they redesigned their vest and still had my suggestions, and if I sent them my old vest they would send me one of their redesigned vests as a replacement. They actually sent me their redesigned vest with a paid UPS mailing label for the old vest. No cost, nothing. No how is that for customer service?

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The paracord and adjusters are a great idea! Will add new life to an old vest for me. Thanks

W
wagner Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I received the Sitka vest Saturday. I don’t love it but I certainly like it a lot. I will be keeping…

What’s missing for me is a random large storage pocket on the left side. I would have designed the slate holder within the pocket. The other thing is the front buckles..I wish they would’ve used the conventional buckles that are used on the rest of the vest.

I’m glad I purchased it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.