Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Years ago I had a Charter Arms Target Bulldog 44 Special. I sold it later and kinda regretted it and I see that Charter Arms now has a stainless steel version. I was wondering about the quality of the new, stainless version compared to the old blue version.

Last edited by LCHunter1; 02/22/23.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Seen a couple locally and thought of trying one. I just find that currently 44 and 45 double action revolvers are quite hard to find and they command some pretty ridiculous pricing. But I still look

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Quality seems to have varied greatly over the years depending upon who was in charge of the company. The very first ones were decent guns. The quality went pretty much close to junk later one. Once part of the original owners got the company back, things improved.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks. The one I had was an older blued model. Had wood grips and "different-looking" adjustable front and rear sight. Hoping someone on the Campfire might have had some experience with the new, stainless variety. Quality is an issue for sure and the stainless feature is a big plus but not if it's a piece of junk.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My close friend had both...don't worry about quality or reliability.. He and I were shinnying across a log "bridge" in the dark. The new stainless fell out of his pack, kersploosh (we never heard it, the creek was raging). Hunted and hunted for two weeks, finally I borrowed a metal detector and found it in a pool. The innards were completely packed with sand and silt. He completely disassembled it, no rust, even on the springs, functioned perfectly after cleaning and lubing...the point is, he was impressed by the quality of the interior parts. The new stainless one shoots to the sights with bear loads. (I now own the blue model. The loads I am using, about 230 gr wheelweight...I had to add .060" to the front sight)

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Wow! Quite a testamonial. Thank you. That's what I'm looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good service from an Undercover and a couple of Bulldogs, but they were early Bridgeport guns. To Charter's credit they sent parts free gratis, anytime I asked for them. I'll try a matte black 45 ACP if I can find one that isn't scalper priced.

Last edited by SargeMO; 02/25/23.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I found a target Bulldog at the gun show last weekend. It was a blue 5”. I hate to buy something before I’ve made it all the way around. When I came back the seller was pushing the dollar bills in his pocket, and the proud new owner was packing it up to take home. I guess you are right, you snooze, you lose.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.