Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Like has been already stated. Tikka T3x 7mm 08. I would also look at the Tikka Hunter 7mm 08

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like my Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06. I think it fits the “all around rifle” category well. Based on your selection criteria, I think your original inclinations were good choices.

At EuroOptic.com there’s currently a variety of Sako rifles in stock & on sale.

Two of my personal favorites are:

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-finnlight-65x55-jrsfl51.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/sako-finnlight-30-06-sprg-jrsfl20.aspx

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I pondered that for a long time when I was younger and could only afford 1 rifle. I have a Winchester model 70 in 300 Win Mag and never looked back. Still using it 38 years later

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tikka.

Kimber Montana, if you can find one.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Like everyone is saying, Tikka T3X. Another really nice option, but not stainless is the Sako S20. There are some variants of the T3X that are really nice such as the varmint or the arctic but just the superlite will do. Another option that’s very nice, but again not stainless is the savage ultralite, it’s has a proof research carbon fiber barrel. As far as caliber I would go with two options .308 or 6.5prc, or if you go the ultralite, the 280ai is a very nice round. If you don’t mind spending money on ammo or if you reload, that’s my choice but if you want something you can go anywhere and find ammo, then .308.
I’ve been looking at rifles recently but can’t afford them on a teen budget lol. My Ruger American predator is fine for now.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Lets get this started off right. How many guys are going to suggest Tikka, and probably the superlite, since his buddy wants a fluted stainless barrel?? Use the rest of the money on a really good scope, or really save your money and buy a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex and hunt the world over. Anyone that can't get it done with that combo, needs to take up a different sport. And yes, before you ask, that set up will lay some waste (shoot better) to rifles costing twice as much or more. Just sayin..

Only thing I would add would be to spend the money saved on ammo and go practice.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
To all that have replied I thank you. I've looked forward to all the opinions and recommendations and I've read them all. Lots of Tikka love here for sure. When my buddy asked me if I could only keep one rifle for everything going forward I pointed to my Tikka that's chambered in .338Win. There's nothing I can't do with it except big Africa, and that's just from legal regulations not actual limitations to the cartridge.

Much appreciate it.

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
for hunting in all conditions and easy to find ammo any place in the world Winchester model 70 extra - treme S.S. 30-06

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For the 100th time I guess, Tikka T3x SS SL is everything you asked for .
I’m more of 2-10 scope fan, or 3-12 at the most to keep it on the lite side, in either Talley’s or DNZ.
Does your friend reload?
For one rifle that does it all, 30/06 is the king.
180 game kings are accurate, kill game and very affordable. I push them almost 300 win mag velocity using Hunter. 168 ttsx with big game is my main elk medicine.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Alex_Beasley
To all that have replied I thank you. I've looked forward to all the opinions and recommendations and I've read them all. Lots of Tikka love here for sure. When my buddy asked me if I could only keep one rifle for everything going forward I pointed to my Tikka that's chambered in .338Win. There's nothing I can't do with it except big Africa, and that's just from legal regulations not actual limitations to the cartridge.

Much appreciate it.

Absolutely!!!! That was exactly my suggestion, prior to reading your caliber/cartridge restrictions! My wife will continue to hunt with only one rifle/cartridge…..even if it’s not legal for all game in Africa😉 ! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/05/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Much appreciate it.

Have you ever shot a Tikka T3x lite or superlite chambered for 7mm-08? I guarantee your tune may change about the 338wm in such a lightweight rifle. I cringe every time someone suggests a 300wm in a Tikka superlite or lite model. Had one chambered in 7mm rem mag and hated it. I'd rather shoot my 7 pound Winchester model 70 338wm. Sometimes you have what they call, "too much of a good thing". And a 300 or 338wm Tikka lite is just that. And before you ask, yes I have killed elk with the 338, 300, 30-06, 9.3x62mm, 300WSM, and 7mm-08. The 140gr TTSX in the 7mm-08 worked wonderfully. I'd have absolutely no qualms using that on a moose as well. I realize your friend is wanting your input on this, but please don't steer him the wrong way and suggest something that is going to be very unpleasant to shoot. AKA: pound the living daylights out of him. Or at least take this away from this thread, and tell him that most of us were suggesting something like the 7mm-08, in the Tikka superlite and not the big magnum. More practice with the 7mm-08 will only make him a more proficient shooter, and I guarantee he will want to shoot the 7mm-08 much more than he will a light 338wm. Just my honest take on the subject. Good luck to your friend. I'm hoping he reads through these posts and makes a good sound decision on this matter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Much appreciate it.

Have you ever shot a Tikka T3x lite or superlite chambered for 7mm-08? I guarantee your tune may change about the 338wm in such a lightweight rifle. I cringe every time someone suggests a 300wm in a Tikka superlite or lite model. Had one chambered in 7mm rem mag and hated it. I'd rather shoot my 7 pound Winchester model 70 338wm. Sometimes you have what they call, "too much of a good thing". And a 300 or 338wm Tikka lite is just that. And before you ask, yes I have killed elk with the 338, 300, 30-06, 9.3x62mm, 300WSM, and 7mm-08. The 140gr TTSX in the 7mm-08 worked wonderfully. I'd have absolutely no qualms using that on a moose as well. I realize your friend is wanting your input on this, but please don't steer him the wrong way and suggest something that is going to be very unpleasant to shoot. AKA: pound the living daylights out of him. Or at least take this away from this thread, and tell him that most of us were suggesting something like the 7mm-08, in the Tikka superlite and not the big magnum. More practice with the 7mm-08 will only make him a more proficient shooter, and I guarantee he will want to shoot the 7mm-08 much more than he will a light 338wm. Just my honest take on the subject. Good luck to your friend. I'm hoping he reads through these posts and makes a good sound decision on this matter.
Spot on with Too much of a good thing! You related to pharm? Lol.
I would suggest the 7-08 over 308 or 6.5 if the guy reloads.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
One of my long time bow hunting buddies is looking to buy a nice all around rifle.
I know everybody always loves these lol.. But at least on this one there's some more specific criteria. I haven't been as active in the rifle game for a while so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what suggestions you guys might have. Not overly worried about chambering as there's a slew of different cartridges that'll work great, more just the platform.

Budget- $1500-1800 rifle alone. Optics separate

Usage: North American game, if we go for elk/moose I told him that half the fun will be getting a different rifle for bigger critters. .

His wants:
Stainless action/barrel. He prefers fluted barrel if possible
Fairly light weight as we walk long distances
Lasting quality and value

I was thinking Sako 85 finlight or M70 extreme weather. I've loved both of those rifles that I've had, but I'm not sure if they're still top choices.

With that budget and plan what would you get?

I would go with the Stainless Tikka in .308 and top it with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. That rifle would serve you for everything on the continent.

I have been using that exact combo for years and it hammers everything.

You won't need a bigger rifle for moose/elk.

The .308 kills larger animals just fine.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
[quote=Alex_Beasley]One of my long time bow hunting buddies is looking to buy a nice all around rifle.
I know everybody always loves these lol.. But at least on this one there's some more specific criteria. I haven't been as active in the rifle game for a while so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what suggestions you guys might have. Not overly worried about chambering as there's a slew of different cartridges that'll work great, more just the platform.

Budget- $1500-1800 rifle alone. Optics separate

Usage: North American game, if we go for elk/moose I told him that half the fun will be getting a different rifle for bigger critters. .

His wants:
Stainless action/barrel. He prefers fluted barrel if possible
Fairly light weight as we walk long distances
Lasting quality and value

I was thinking Sako 85 finlight or M70 extreme weather. I've loved both of those rifles that I've had, but I'm not sure if they're still top choices.

With that budget and plan what would you get?

I would go with the Stainless Tikka in .308 and top it with a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. That rifle would serve you for everything on the continent.

I have been using that exact combo for years and it hammers everything.

You won't need a bigger rifle for moose/elk.

The .308 kills larger animals just fine.[/quote

This makes all the sense in the world. I have others but could be perfectly content with this suggestion.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I was not saying for him to pick the 338 Winchester as his rifle , only if I had to choose one of my rifles it would be my .338 Tikka. I hand load and have a great variety of different loads developed for that gun that would pretty much work for anything that walks.

I'm now encouraging him to choose something in 6mm/243 and something in .284 or .30 cal. because I'm a bad friend and I feel he should not stop at just one rifle.

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Personally don’t think this is so butt-ugly - but I may be biased as I have one in .243.

Tikka T3x Laminated Stainless

Agree with the above comments re: recoil - I wouldn’t buy a Tikka in a chambering larger than 30-06.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How much recoil a hunter/shooter can handle on a regular basis is a personal thing. I've personally never been troubled by the recoil of any rifle cartridge from a .223 Rem to the .458 Win loaded like a Lott... until I had a severe bout of arthritis that lasted a couple of years - starting 4 years ago when I was 83. Since then I've had a brake installed on my Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62. The loads I developed for that rifle were about the same as my former .340 Wby in recoil. I've killed three bears with it: first load a 286 Hornady at +2400 fps, the second load a 286 NP at +2600 fps and the last from a 250gr AB at ~2700 fps. One shot each. Recoil is at least up there with a "hot" load in a .338 Win Mag in the same rifle, and a bit more than a .375 H&H.

I mention this only to say that in shooting those bears, I NEVER noticed the recoil. Today, I'm 160 lbs out of the shower and 5' - 8.5".

So dealing with recoil is mostly a mental thing...as well as physical conditioning and getting used to it. In handloads, I started with a .30-06.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CZ550
How much recoil a hunter/shooter can handle on a regular basis is a personal thing. I've personally never been troubled by the recoil of any rifle cartridge from a .223 Rem to the .458 Win loaded like a Lott... until I had a severe bout of arthritis that lasted a couple of years - starting 4 years ago when I was 83. Since then I've had a brake installed on my Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62. The loads I developed for that rifle were about the same as my former .340 Wby in recoil. I've killed three bears with it: first load a 286 Hornady at +2400 fps, the second load a 286 NP at +2600 fps and the last from a 250gr AB at ~2700 fps. One shot each. Recoil is at least up there with a "hot" load in a .338 Win Mag in the same rifle, and a bit more than a .375 H&H.

I mention this only to say that in shooting those bears, I NEVER noticed the recoil. Today, I'm 160 lbs out of the shower and 5' - 8.5".

So dealing with recoil is mostly a mental thing...as well as physical conditioning and getting used to it. In handloads, I started with a .30-06.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Well said CZ550! 👍

I fully agree with it mostly being mental! I also fervently believe that physical conditioning is a big plus in dealing with recoil! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/23/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally, since I had my neck fusion...c3 thru c7....I always wear a Past recoil pad on my shoulder no matter what I am shooting, but only from the bench.

And that ranges from a 223 on an AR platform, to 300rum.

The idea is to reduce as much as possible shock to my neck as possible.

Hunting, I don't worry about it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 12344mag, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,152
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.