D
Originally Posted by davet
Thank you 79
las
BC30
Vek
T_inman
and everyone else.

This is happening more quickly than I would like for a trip like this, and I don't think my daughter understands the gravity of the situation. I am looking forward to seeing some beautiful country, and hoping not to freeze to death or hit a bison in the road.

I appreciate the information.

I haven't read all of the responses so I am not sure if this has been mentioned

1 - you need a passport to enter Canada
2 - you need certification of covid vaccines
3 - if you are planning on taking a firearm then go to the Canadian Firearms Center and see what is legal to have in your possession in Canada
(no pistols)
4 - if you are entering with firearms print out the paperwork and have it filled out before hitting Canadian customs

Good luck with your trip, I suspect that by the time its over your relationship with the daughter may be even more strained after that many days in a car with her and the grandchild.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Book a spot on the ferry out of Washington and sit back and enjoy the ride

That's what I would do. Catch the BC Ferry to Prince Rupert BC. There is an Alaskan Ferry from Prince Rupert on up to points in Alaska. It's probably cheaper, and a lot less stressful.

That said, cabin accomodations on the ferries aren't very good. It's a good idea to stop overnight a few times on the way up. The good news is that the enclosed passenger area has plenty of room for little ones to stomp around rather than being tied down in a child's car seat.

The scenery is wonderful, and every time you step out, there is that delicious 25 knot breeze coming over the bow of the ship.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by ironbender
You won't die. You may wish for death though. Things will not go as planned. There will be much suck. You may end up having to hole up some place for several days. I'd rather slam my dick in a sliding glass door than do that trip. Best wishes.
What a jabroni!

I’d take the trip, but I’ve driven it I winter.

I had to look that word up.

"Jabroni is an insult that is used to demean others."

You are so unfriended.
It was used A LOT back when 2L2Q was still here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I forgot a cheap plug in air compressor. When you get up there and the temperature has dropped 40 or 50 degrees you'll be adding air in your tires.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
True the accommodations on the ferry aren't great, but the toddler will be able to move around and you can sit and visit while somebody else does the "driving" don't have to worry about gas or food stops and potty breaks for the kid . Plus no customs hassles because the ferry is starting in the US and ends in the US.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by davet
Thank you 79
las
BC30
Vek
T_inman
and everyone else.

This is happening more quickly than I would like for a trip like this, and I don't think my daughter understands the gravity of the situation. I am looking forward to seeing some beautiful country, and hoping not to freeze to death or hit a bison in the road.

I appreciate the information.

I haven't read all of the responses so I am not sure if this has been mentioned

1 - you need a passport to enter Canada
2 - you need certification of covid vaccines
3 - if you are planning on taking a firearm then go to the Canadian Firearms Center and see what is legal to have in your possession in Canada
(no pistols)
4 - if you are entering with firearms print out the paperwork and have it filled out before hitting Canadian customs

Good luck with your trip, I suspect that by the time its over your relationship with the daughter may be even more strained after that many days in a car with her and the grandchild.

drover

You are wrong on #2, #4 not true you can fill out paperwork for your firearm at the border crossing just tell them you have a firearm to declare pay $25 Canadian. Pistols of any kind are a no no, semi automatic rifles or shotguns leave them at home. But a regular bolt action rifle you will be gtg.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
This is a bad idea!!!!! Book a spot on the ferry out of Washington and sit back and enjoy the ride
During the winter the ferry will only get you as far as Haines....at which point you're driving the rest of the way. The cross-Gulf run into Whittier usually doesn't start up again until April. And if you haven't booked by now for something in March it is doubtful you would get on anyway.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by denton
Book a spot on the ferry out of Washington and sit back and enjoy the ride

That's what I would do. Catch the BC Ferry to Prince Rupert BC. There is an Alaskan Ferry from Prince Rupert on up to points in Alaska. It's probably cheaper, and a lot less stressful.

That said, cabin accomodations on the ferries aren't very good. It's a good idea to stop overnight a few times on the way up. The good news is that the enclosed passenger area has plenty of room for little ones to stomp around rather than being tied down in a child's car seat.

The scenery is wonderful, and every time you step out, there is that delicious 25 knot breeze coming over the bow of the ship.

Alaska marine hwy run from Bellingham Washington to several places in Alaska. As of now the only thing available is from Bellingham to Haines. Their are no ferries running from Bellingham to Whittier, Homer or Valdez. Right now they are scheduled to leave Bellingham on 1 march arrive to Haines 5 march. the cost is $2300 bucks, cabins a $556 a night. That is another option I guess. Roughly $4500 bucks.. If they act now they should be able to get ahold of transportation and get the Airforce to foot that bill. But it sounds like they are set on their plan.

https://bookamhs.alaska.gov/book/sailing-search/journeySearch/

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tag

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You won't die. You may wish for death though. Things will not go as planned. There will be much suck. You may end up having to hole up some place for several days. I'd rather slam my dick in a sliding glass door than do that trip. Best wishes.

Says the guy who rides a bike 400 miles and says it exhilarating.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S

Says the guy who rides a bike 400 miles and says it exhilarating.

I'd rather drive to Alaska in the winter than put on Paul's outfit and ride a bicycle through my hometown. grin

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A model 10 and some silver bullets

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Podcast,get u sum ....Canadian NPR is just as left as the hacks on our NPR........

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the time change between prince George and Haynes will be fun..... there's like three time zones your truck radio will say something your phone will say something an the radio will say something different...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by broomd
Have made that trip many times, in Winter too.

It's a long ride, but good lord, take a deep breath, go and enjoy the time with your girl and her girl. Kudos to your daughter for wanting to do this! Live a little.

Vern's advise is excellent, and stop at Liard Hotsprings in BC, it's right off the AK highway. Go soak, almost worth the ride itself!

Dunno if it has been mentioned, Canada just implemented new DUI laws, if you or daughter have had DUI in the last ten years, its a real problem. more than one and you cannot enter Canada--full stop

Good luck, have fun. It's a beautiful ride, especially up by Toad River and Muncho Lake.
That UK DUI stuff has been in place for a long time

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never been in Western Canada or Alaska.
Have driven a heck of a lot of mile though, all over.

This is a highway drive. Not some expedition to the unknown.
Semi's are rolling over it all the time, weather permitting.

The cagey old dudes who live it are encouraging preparedness, caution, and
doing it. The ones scared of it, don't live it.

That's telling.

I'd be concerned about a breakdown, or wreck.
Just as when I'm driving the family on vacation in summer.

I'd expect trouble with me and the kid.
The drive would get tiring as an adult, he absolutely will get the craps of it,
probably a long time before you get out of the US.

While preparing, and once underway, he needs to be as much in mind as
conditions. Stops, ways to entertain, trying to keep it interesting.

From home to wherever the conditions make night travel a worry, I'd be
running very early AM as much as possible, if you can safely do it without
falling asleep. The kid will sleep, and you can make better time then.
You body operates differently then, you groove in and burn miles.
2 drivers, very early start, you can cover a pile of miles daily on the southern
part.

Satellite radio in the car might be a really nice thing, your mind needs something
to keep it occupied, I'm certain radio will go away at some points. It gets spotty
across I90.

Just thoughts from a former trucker.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thank you all for the advice and interest in this.

My daughter started a similar forum thread on her type of website and has now agreed to fly!!!

SHE IS MAKING THE SMART AND SAFE MOVE!!

I sincerely appreciate the advice though, and had gotten my mind to the point I was kind of looking forward to it.

Maybe in May my wife and I will have to take her car up to Anchorage if their travel/shipping doesn't handle it.

Again, thank you all.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OMG!!! A positive, rational outcome from interweb postings and responses - how is that possible??

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
She had to hear the “girl you are crazy” from other women on her forum to change her mind Lol. Oh well would’ve been one hell trip.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

161 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 27 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,268
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.