Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp
For me I find there is a wide difference in what is related to Jesus in the bible and all the rest.
Kent
For me there is a huge difference in what Jesus taught and what he said and did not say about himself and what has been said about him and his doctrine and teachings beginning shortly after he left the earthly scene all the way up until today.

It seems "Christians" want the Jesus they want, no matter if it conflicts with the Jesus that walked among us and taught among us for a ministry of 3 years.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The New Covenant that was implemented by Jesus Himself…in simple terms is…a promise of redemption and salvation by God to people as individuals rather than as a nation, and on the basis of God's grace rather than a person's adherence to the Mosaic Law.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by krp
For me I find there is a wide difference in what is related to Jesus in the bible and all the rest.
Kent
For me there is a huge difference in what Jesus taught and what he said and did not say about himself and what has been said about him and his doctrine and teachings beginning shortly after he left the earthly scene all the way up until today.

It seems "Christians" want the Jesus they want, no matter if it conflicts with the Jesus that walked among us and taught among us for a ministry of 3 years.

Solid

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by krp
Kent

Yeah, the Jesus we "create" isn't gonna be the Jesus of the Bible.

Check out Rev 22:19. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

“And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”

KJV, BTW.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by krp
Kent

Yeah, the Jesus we "create" isn't gonna be the Jesus of the Bible.

Check out Rev 22:19. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

“And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.”

KJV, BTW.

DF
DF: Wasn't John specifically referring the book The Revelation of Jesus Christ that he wrote? Not necessarily the book of, say Ruth?

I'll have to look it up but I believe Daniel may have a similar admonition.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not sure. Don’t think I’d want to be messing with any of it.

DF

Edited to add Gal, 1:9b "...if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed".

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/23/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
The New Covenant that was implemented by Jesus Himself…in simple terms is…a promise of redemption and salvation by God to people as individuals rather than as a nation, and on the basis of God's grace rather than a person's adherence to the Mosaic Law.

This , again and again. Short and sweet. Thanks!

.... like tears in the rain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is remember the Sabbath still on? It's one of the big ten. And the Sabbath ain't Sunday.

Just curious what y'all think.

I do know Jesus made it a point to heal on the Sabbath. He was obviously baiting in his critics so he could remind them that they would untie their jack-ass or ox and water him on the Sabbath.

I think Jesus was all for the law but he wasn't going to make an ass out of the law by making it a no exceptions unreasonable thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Jewish leaders had decided that God's law was too vague or something and had added a bunch of rules to the original law. Jesus was violating the pharisees' laws, not Gods.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The Jewish leaders had decided that God's law was too vague or something and had added a bunch of rules to the original law. Jesus was violating the pharisees' laws, not Gods.

The pharisees were basically like our lawyers. They didn't make up new laws, but they were incredible sticklers who made up complicated ways to keep the law. For instance, God's law said to keep his words before your eyes, meaning to think of what his words throughout the day. Instead, the pharisees made little miniature "Ark of the covenant" boxes with tiny copies of the law inside and strapped them to their foreheads.

They were just like Christians today who continue to argue over specifics in God's words all the while missing the overall meaning.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RHClark

The pharisees were basically like our lawyers. They didn't make up new laws, but they were incredible sticklers who made up complicated ways to keep the law. For instance, God's law said to keep his words before your eyes, meaning to think of what his words throughout the day. Instead, the pharisees made little miniature "Ark of the covenant" boxes with tiny copies of the law inside and strapped them to their foreheads.

They were just like Christians today who continue to argue over specifics in God's words all the while missing the overall meaning.

If you ever decide to stand at the pulpit again, I'd do my best to come and listen.

.... like tears in the rain
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Read the epistles and you’ll see that the church has always been in a dire state.

The entire canon is the story of how people are messed up and hopeless apart from the grace of God in Christ.

He has pursued our wandering hearts since He called out for Adam & Eve after our Fall and we’ll continue to evade Him and He’ll continue to pursue.

There will always be a remnant of those He preserves for Himself in spite of our best efforts, praise His life giving name.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

If you ever decide to stand at the pulpit again, I'd do my best to come and listen.

What a nice thing to say. Hope you have a great day.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

There's a line that appears several times in the OT law: "You shall not boil a young goat in its mother’s milk." It's been argued many times about what God meant but many scholars believe that the Canaanites had a fertility ritual where they did that. God didn't want the Hebrews participating in pagan rituals. It was as simple as that.

The Pharisees decided that they knew better than God so they needed to define what God meant. They went from what God said to saying you can't eat meat and milk in the same meal, then to you can't cook meat and milk in the same pot. Then it got to where you couldn't eat meat and milk in the same day in case it got mixed in your stomach.
It kept growing and it's still with kosher Jews today. Some will actually have 2 kitchens in their homes. One is used for cooking with meat, the other for cooking with milk. They're very careful to never serve anything from both kitchens at any meal for fear of mixing meat with milk.
It's become absurd and totally misses God's intent.

Much of this stuff comes from the Talmud, not the Torah. The Talmud wasn't developed until long after the fall of Jerusalem in 70AD. It was developed by the Jews in exile.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Legalism to that degree keeps people in a constant place of guilt. Hard to imagine how folks who practice legalism to that degree are ever at peace with God.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Legalism to that degree keeps people in a constant place of guilt. Hard to imagine how folks who practice legalism to that degree are ever at peace with God.
I don't think they are ever at peace. They will never have the Peace that passes understanding while stuck in their understanding.

Christians look in the Old Testament and they see Jesus. Legalist look at the New Testament and all they see are rules.

They can't see the Truth with a "veil" over their face.

But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. 15 Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. 2 Cor 3:14-15 (NIV)

DF

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Enthralling

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s ironic that when you read the accounts of Jesus’ life in the Gospels, that the men who knew the Law and the Prophets the best…that the men who followed the Mosaic Law to the Nth degree…didn’t even recognize Jesus.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It’s ironic that when you read the accounts of Jesus’ life in the Gospels, that the men who knew the Law and the Prophets the best…that the men who followed the Mosaic Law to the Nth degree…didn’t even recognize Jesus.
They did recognize him. They also recognized that their power would be at an end if they let Jesus be what he was - the messiah. They talked God but they were at war with him. Jesus and John the Baptist called them a brood of vipers for a reason.

― George Orwell

Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

168 members (300_savage, 308xray, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,371 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,086
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.