S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So you driving the car up there alone?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy did delayed travel drove up got the house situated. Went to transportation said ready for family to come up they cut tickets for them. They were still in the Ft Bragg area. They were flying up in February time frame. They get to Ted stevens he meets them, get luggage they all walk outside and she goes wtf you drag me into lol. February is usually pretty cool out. Not saying you daughter will say this but hopefully she’s landing midday here. If not it might be a wtf moment.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stammster
So you driving the car up there alone?
His sil should be able to get the orders amended at transportation and get it shipped up here on the Air Force dime. But might be sol if they declined that, I been out of the PCS question business for couple yrs so I don’t remember all the ins and outs.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by davet
Thank you all for the advice and interest in this.

My daughter started a similar forum thread on her type of website and has now agreed to fly!!!

SHE IS MAKING THE SMART AND SAFE MOVE!!

I sincerely appreciate the advice though, and had gotten my mind to the point I was kind of looking forward to it.

Maybe in May my wife and I will have to take her car up to Anchorage if their travel/shipping doesn't handle it.

Again, thank you all.

Well someone was able to provide a perspective that your daughter needed to learn.

I have driven way to many miles in weather that started out nice and turned into a raging snow storm or blizzard. It is one thing to be by your self it is another to be with a mother and small child.

There were some very good information on this posting that you probably could save and give it to her later, when you take the vehicle up. I have only drive the road 5 time up and back and one thing i know is that some parts are always in rough shape. What one considers nice scenery in the summer can be a real education in a winter storm.

On every trip i have run into vehicles in the ditch, some i could pull out others were left as they were way off the road. Some sections had a dozer to pull through larger vehicles, that did not have 4X4 to make the stretch on their own. And you always had some stupid individuals who thought that they knew how to drive in rough conditions and failed miserably.

Anyway, driving on snow or ice packed roads is not for the faint of heart. As mentioned up hill has one set of challenges, however going down is where experience come into play.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 79S
She had to hear the “girl you are crazy” from other women on her forum to change her mind Lol. Oh well would’ve been one hell trip.
In many ways.

There was definitely a positive correlation amongst the posters between time since having a toddler and thinking it was a good idea - the further away from dealing with toddlers, the more encouragement there was! laugh

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 79S
She had to hear the “girl you are crazy” from other women on her forum to change her mind Lol. Oh well would’ve been one hell trip.
In many ways.

There was definitely a positive correlation amongst the posters between time since having a toddler and thinking it was a good idea - the further away from dealing with toddlers, the more encouragement there was! laugh

You and toddlers… lol at least while driving you can stop calm the kid. Versus listening to a kid howl for 18 hours straight on a plane to South Korea.. When I fly and see toddlers getting on I go oh ph uck here we go. I have ptsd from that flight going to South Korea.

D
davet Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I did copy and save a lot of these ALCAN driving tips as a reference.

Really good things to consider and not have to learn the lessons the hard way.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Is the vehicle even the AT4 model? Or just the basic front-wheel drive model? Are you prepared to pile in with a strange trucker for the ride into the nearest town when it breaks down, leaving everything behind? A 100-day postponement could make a dangerous trip into a pleasurable one. Won't help with having a toddler along with the three of you in what's going to be very cramped quarters for such a long drive though.

Phil

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I agree. Your daughter is a moron.

I'll add your son in law is a moron too for giving her the green light. Everything I've heard about that highway says it's no joke at the best of times. An inexperienced woman alone with a baby at the tail end of winter? I'd go ahead and file the missing persons report before she even left.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by davet
Thank you 79
las
BC30
Vek
T_inman
and everyone else.

This is happening more quickly than I would like for a trip like this, and I don't think my daughter understands the gravity of the situation. I am looking forward to seeing some beautiful country, and hoping not to freeze to death or hit a bison in the road.

I appreciate the information.

I haven't read all of the responses so I amr not sure if this has been mentioned

1 - you need a passport to enter Canada
2 - you need certification of covid vaccines
3 - if you are planning on taking a firearm then go to the Canadian Firearms Center and see what is legal to have in your possession in Canada
(no pistols)
4 - if you are entering with firearms print out the paperwork and have it filled out before hitting Canadian customs

Good luck with your trip, I suspect that by the time its over your relationship with the daughter may be even more strained after that many days in a car with her and the grandchild.

drover

You are wrong on #2, #4 not true you can fill out paperwork for your firearm at the border crossing just tell them you have a firearm to declare pay $25 Canadian. Pistols of any kind are a no no, semi automatic rifles or shotguns leave them at home. But a regular bolt action rifle you will be gtg.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

re #2 -I was not aware that they had dropped the proof of covid vaccinations as a requirement

re #4 - my advice to having firearms paperwork filled out before hitting Canadian Customs was meant to help ease the entry, not that it couldn't be done at the border

p.s. - if you are taking a firearm be sure to register it at US Customs prior to entry into Canada so that you have proof that it was in your possession when you left the US, it may save you a hassle when reentering the US

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Did the drive up in December of 06, then again Thanksgiving of 22. There is a whole lot of "caution" from a whole lot of people who don't know what they are talking about here which I guess is normal. For sure some prep is in order, but there's no need to freak out.

Ft Nelson, Watson lake and haines junction all have decent places to stay and fuel. Limited services maybe in haines junction.

If a single spare doesn't give you the warm fuzzy, a tire plug kit and 12 volt compressor take up less space than a tire. As mentioned though, having good (new) tires at the start is the best insurance. The road is really pretty good, especially in winter.

I called the credit card company to "pre-authorize" travel and they just laughed at me. Said they don't do that anymore. I brought a bunch of greenbacks and nobody had any problem taking them, but I very rarely spend cash. Never exchanged anything. You may not get the best exchange rate doing it that way, but thats sort of made up anyway.

If you have a cut rate cell phone, it may not work in CA. That might be something to remedy as soon as you cross the border and still have shopping options.

Bring a camera and have fun.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before responding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I know it's all been settled, how many people mentioned that the idea of spending all day on the road with a freaking toddler trapped in a car seat for at least a week, is at the very best ill advised? If not just plain insane?

I had to walk up and down the aisles of a jet for hours and hours, when he was 15 months old and we were on a 12 hour flight. Seriously, I probably walked a good couple of miles. And the next day, after landing and we started the drive home? It was an absolute horror show. Doing that for days on end? GMAFB. After day 4, you'd probably be begging for a peaceful death by exposure.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2

No chit we all put out great info only to get oh she’s flying talk about a let down.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Good decision for daughter!

I agree that flying is the best option in this situation. 12 hours or so beats the heck out of 8-10 days or so this time of year, or less in summer, with a toddler along. Even if there are canceled flights and it takes another day or so, flying is still best.

Scenery and the driving experience only go so far. smile

Hopefully the child doesn't have any ear or sinus problems - the airplane pressure changes can be brutal, but fairly short lived usually. Still worth it.

Something I suggest if the kid is pretty mobile, is a body harness (not a collar, fool!) with a wrist leash, especially in the airports.

We used them with our kids and there were two reactions:

Appalled, and " Hey, where did you get that?"

Last edited by las; 02/23/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good decision and good news. It was worth the thread to point out the risks. I would print out the whole thing and give it to her for reading on the plane. Best of luck to her on the move.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by cwh2

No chit we all put out great info only to get oh she’s flying talk about a let down.

No Scheitt, I was envious wishing I could gogrin

Just an FYI. If there's even a possibility of being stuck in a irritating situation, buy some noise canceling headphones.

Kids can scream until they pass out and idiots can jabber until there Jaws lock up while you look around and enjoy watching the rest of the world suffer.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
While I know it's all been settled, how many people mentioned that the idea of spending all day on the road with a freaking toddler trapped in a car seat for at least a week, is at the very best ill advised? If not just plain insane?

I had to walk up and down the aisles of a jet for hours and hours, when he was 15 months old and we were on a 12 hour flight. Seriously, I probably walked a good couple of miles. And the next day, after landing and we started the drive home? It was an absolute horror show. Doing that for days on end? GMAFB. After day 4, you'd probably be begging for a peaceful death by exposure.

I tried.

I think many are so far removed that they have forgotten (or repressed!) how truly heinous it can be.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

I tried.

I think many are so far removed that they have forgotten (or repressed!) how truly heinous it can be.

It's only been 15 years or so, so the nightmare is still fresh XD

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.