Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
to start a fire?

Just a little for a boost or pour the coal to it? Old timey fire starter for those city folk.

LOL

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It’s 80 degrees. What’s a fire!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
None

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
About 4 or 5 sticks the width of a french fry is plenty. About 4 yrs ago, we got home from the monthly grocery run, cold, stove cold out...she says you unload the groceries, I'll get a fire going. I was out stacking stuff in the freezer in the shop, looked back at the flintshack, Jeezus there was 2 feet of orange flame coming out the metalbestos. We have had wood heat as primary for a half century...she still hasn't figured it out. Words were spoken.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
None

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use a propane torch and battery powered blower. Works on bbq pit too!

Last edited by hanco; 02/23/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Usually a paper towel and about 3 sticks the size of a pencil. Well cured wood takes right off. Sometimes use real pitch snatched from trees when camping.

1Minute
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by hanco
I use a propane torch and battery powered blower. Works on bbq pit too!

At both our wood-heat cabins. A bit of birch bark between two 3" diam spruce pieces either side of the firebox topped with 1" or less spruce kindling ....-No f**k'n around! If the kindling is a bit pitchy, all the better.

It is pretty much a necessity at the remote cabin. The big wood cook/heating stove has the chimney on the left, firebox right next to it, with no direct opening. The draft feeds across the top, down the right side, across the bottom, then up the left into the chimney. Seams and lids on top leak....

Great for heating/baking, but hell to get started without smoking us out, but there are 1 1/2 x 4" cleanout plugs all the way around. One can start the firebox, and shove some tinder into the under-chimney cleanout and start it to get the draft going. It works sometimes. Sometimes not. More better to just run the propane torch in there to get the chimney up-draft going.

It's danged near an art form. I leave "how to" directions for visitors. And I've cut small screen-coverd vents in the gable ends for - um - "cabin draft" , just under the ridgepole for the times someone doesn't. It may take an hour before the smoke clears enough to be livable inside .... smile

Last edited by las; 02/23/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would go with a 12 - 12 pitch.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think it was my aunt, built her first fire in the iron stove, called Uncle, something wasn't right........

Uncle got there, she had packed the stove full of fat pine and lit it off...........

He said the sides were red hot and you could see the flames 'THROUGH THE METAL'........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I only have outdoor fires as we have a pellet stove in the house. I collect pine pitch stumps when camping on the East side. Sit out in my woodshed when the wife is mad at me and split it as fine as I can and put it in ziplock bags. Nine year old granddaughter is in charge of the fireplace at her house. Her mother only lets her use 2 pieces to build the fire. Neighbors love it as does the sister-in-law.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We called it fatwood.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Jawing with a couple other fellows on the banks of the Tanana on this fire-starting stuff, the Athabaskan told us " I use the old Indian method my Dad taught me - a cuppa Diesel works every time."

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Kinlin we call it

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The sh*t I learn from this site. What the hell is pitchwood? Never heard of it. (City boy, now in the country. Hey, I'm tryin' to learn something here.)

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Every year I look for pitch stumps. I prefer red fir but pondersa pine works. I cut about six inch thick. Been using one thirty inch block all winter and have about half left. I cut pencil diameter pieces. Put kindling on top and a couple pieces of wood, about the diameter of my wrist. Light and you have a fire. Granpa called it trading wood. To me it's not kindling. Kindling is split from fire wood. Put to much pitch wood in and it looks like your burning tires, and the stove starts puffing.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Fat Lighter is the pith of dead pines around here. VERY hard but will split in splinters fairly easily... I have a pile that will probably last me 20 years. I know where there is enough to last 200 years if I could live long enough
to use it.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We called it fatwood.

Lighter knot..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
The sh*t I learn from this site. What the hell is pitchwood? Never heard of it. (City boy, now in the country. Hey, I'm tryin' to learn something here.)

Pitch is formed by the concentration of resins in a conifer's heartwood and roots, as well as on the bark, especially around scars and near the base of the trunk or cut stump. Wood that's impregnated with pitch is interchangeably called lightwood or pitch wood.

Last edited by RS308MX; 02/23/23.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had a few shore lunches while fishing with Cree Indian guides in Canada. They started fires with pieces partical board that were soaked in kerosene.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 219 Wasp, 39 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,865
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.