Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Do you do the top down burn?

Or

Do you build the fire underneath the logs?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Mostly throw some logs on top of the coals from the last fire. Or start some kindling and put a couple of logs on top when its time.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Kinlin first open the drafts build gradual takes experience not to set off the smoke detectors in the entire fugkin house 🤣🤣

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Heat rises

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
pitch helps

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heat or play.

From work I get compressed paper tunes 3"id, 1/2" sidewalls.
Cut 2" long, stacked in a metal bucket, pour a quart or so of kerosene over them.
They soak it up, are almost dry to touch, and burn hot for about 20 minutes.
One of them lit on the grates, throw split smaller stuff onto, then big stuff.
Close door and forget for 4-8 hours.

The same for yard fires, just no grates or door.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I turn the gas log lighter on, instant fire until the wood catches enough to sustain itself. I can’t imagine a fireplace without one. I had to hunt heart pine when I lived at home to help get one started. Some call it pitch pine. My neighbor had a small tray that had a porous rock, it soaked up kerosene. You put it under log rack. It would burn for a long time to help start a fire. I don’t know what it was called. It was made out of cast iron.

Looked something like this. This uses charcoal lighter fluid.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 02/23/23.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I tell her to…

Put another log on the fire
Cook me up some bacon and some beans

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Heat or play.

From work I get compressed paper tunes 3"id, 1/2" sidewalls.
Cut 2" long, stacked in a metal bucket, pour a quart or so of kerosene over them.
They soak it up, are almost dry to touch, and burn hot for about 20 minutes.

We use the same cardboard tubes. Have you noticed any after smell in the fireplace ?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Uh, I use kindling and newspaper and make a fire. It's one of life's easier chores.

The way life should be.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it more productive and warmer to set it on fire in the wood stove.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Rake the coals to the right side of the stove stack the stove full of oak logs...keep the door open a crack until the logs catch fire....close the door and close the damper almost completely.....get a 12-14 hour burn get to sleep all night rake the coals good heat for 3-4 more hours do it again until spring....
Thats how I get a very long burn....usually only put enough wood to fill 3/4 full when it starts to get warmer....even 1/2 ....

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I turn the gas log lighter on, instant fire until the wood catches enough to sustain itself. I can’t imagine a fireplace without one.

Had a gas lighter in the fireplace at our last house and really miss having one. I think you could burn watermelons with it if you had to.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If starting from scratch we always keep a 20 gallon feed tub of sticks picked out of the yard or wherever. put them on first with a little squirt of diesel. Add some dry firewood on top, shove a little paper or cardboard underneath and light it. Fire readily goes up, doesn't go down very well.

My mother was born in the stone-age (1922) and couldn't build a fire. She would put the bigger pieces in and then try to get them going from the top with a splinter or two of fat pine. My grandmother always built their fires.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why dick around like some Webelo??

Use a torch

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Rake the coals to the right side of the stove stack the stove full of oak logs...keep the door open a crack until the logs catch fire....close the door and close the damper almost completely.....get a 12-14 hour burn get to sleep all night rake the coals good heat for 3-4 more hours do it again until spring....
Thats how I get a very long burn....usually only put enough wood to fill 3/4 full when it starts to get warmer....even 1/2 ....
Interesting. So basically the logs burn right to left 🤔 I can see how that would extend the burn time.

I think I will give this method a try. I don't have a secondary burn stove so this may work much better than starting the fire underneath the logs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best way to start a fire is to never let it go out. One year not so long ago it was so cold we had a steady fire in our Buckstove for over 2 months. And this is in the deep south during the terrible global warming we are experiencing.

Originally Posted by coyotewacker

MPat70 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My main question was aimed at how people control the burn for maximum heat. Not how to light the fire.

I have always used the bottom up method in the wood stove but I have been reading that the top down method is actually more effective and was wondering if anyone has ever tried it?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Fire!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MPat70
My main question was aimed at how people control the burn for maximum heat. Not how to light the fire.

I have always used the bottom up method in the wood stove but I have been reading that the top down method is actually more effective and was wondering if anyone has ever tried it?
It is certainly slower to burn top down. The best thing I ever did for maximizing heat was to do away with an open fireplace and insert a Buckstove with heat chambers and a fan to circulate room air. I now burn about the same amount of wood in a week that I used to burn in a day in the fireplace. When I would come in and start a fire in the fireplace the house temp would quickly drop several degrees. I'm not a smart person but I figure all that smoke billowing out the chimney is compensated for by cold air being sucked in from outside.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to get something with heat chambers, doors, forced air, and a damper.

If you want to sit in front of an open fire and have a drink all you have to do is open the damper and the doors (in that order).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 62 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,297
Posts18,487,051
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.