Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by boomwack
+2

Too bad the round nose seems to be vanishing....

Too many people have been taught that there's an
invisible force field at the 100 yard mark that makes
anything other than a pointed tip bullet turn and
plow into the ground.
Most of them say " . . well it'll be a fine brush gun. . "

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Round nose bullets imply actual 'hunting'. Spot 'n' stock, stand or wait in ambush. Could take all day or over in minutes....

The 'hunting' anymore seems to be lots of dialing on turrets, ranging, spotting scopes and really long hollow point match bullets.

I don't mind the second one, but the first one is more my speed

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I called Sierra. They said the #2135 was designed for the .308Win. (150gr. RN).

They plan to make a run in 150gr. for .30-30Win. soon. And they also make a 125 and 170gr. for that cartridge.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I just bought 300 .30 cal. Horn. rn in Murdocks.

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I wish I could find some of those.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I wish I could find some of those.

Scheels has them too. I just bought some for my 30-30 a few days ago. $33/box.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Shot my biggest buck with a Hornady 180gr. RN in .308 and have taken several with Hornady 200gr. RN in .35 Whelen. As a matter of fact that bullet in .35 Whelen with IMR 3031 is the most accurate I've ever shot, 3 shot groups @ 100yds. are often tight little cloverleafs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have enough 30 caliber 150 and 170 grain bullets. I shoot them in my 30-30's and 30-40's. I think if you have almost any manufacturer's bullets, the manufacturer will list the recommended velocity for the bullet. Generally, I've had good luck with RN bullets. I have some 220 grain Partitions that shoot under 1 MOA in my 300 Weatherby. I had some 180 RN bullets that a 742, which I had, preferred. I shot a buck at about 10 feet with that bullet in 1971 in Missouri, don't think wind drift was a problem. I had a 280 that preferred heavy flat nose SPEER bullets, I think SPEER called them mag-tips.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Just checked on Scheels web site. No 30 caliber 180 grain round nose

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Killed my first deer long ago with a 30-06 with a 180 gr. Round nose core-lokt. A shot from about 25 yards looked like you pushed the deer sideways then stumbled off another 20-ish yards and fell over dead.

Didn't realize what a good thing that big round bullet was for deer or any big game till shooting a few other animals with pointy bullets. I noticed how most the time the critter would manage to travel just a little further or did not react at the shot like that first deer did.

In my .280 the 165 gr. Soft point core lokt is a favorite load. This load just slaps deer down fast consistently complete with nice large exit every time.

Shot a 200 lb black bear with that load broadside around 50 yards, it simply just fell over dead, not a twitch. Only bone hit was a rib in and two rib on the exit. Yet to have another bear done in that fast with the same hit, that's including A 338 win mag and a 45-70 on other bears.

To bad the round nose seems to be vanishing....

User ID checks out, LOL.

I'm a fan of RN bullets. I can see why those who hunt wide open spaces with long shots choose spitzers, but RNs work well in excess of the range woods and thick area hunting requires in the right cartridges.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No, but they have 150's. I'll bet that is what wyocoyotehunter bought at murdocs. Also, the picture I posted was of 150gr Hornady RN interlocks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Killed my first deer long ago with a 30-06 with a 180 gr. Round nose core-lokt. A shot from about 25 yards looked like you pushed the deer sideways then stumbled off another 20-ish yards and fell over dead.

Didn't realize what a good thing that big round bullet was for deer or any big game till shooting a few other animals with pointy bullets. I noticed how most the time the critter would manage to travel just a little further or did not react at the shot like that first deer did.

In my .280 the 165 gr. Soft point core lokt is a favorite load. This load just slaps deer down fast consistently complete with nice large exit every time.

Shot a 200 lb black bear with that load broadside around 50 yards, it simply just fell over dead, not a twitch. Only bone hit was a rib in and two rib on the exit. Yet to have another bear done in that fast with the same hit, that's including A 338 win mag and a 45-70 on other bears.

To bad the round nose seems to be vanishing....

User ID checks out, LOL.

I'm a fan of RN bullets. I can see why those who hunt wide open spaces with long shots choose spitzers, but RNs work well in excess of the range woods and thick area hunting requires in the right cartridges.

I just seem to end up in the close stuff alot. Longest shot I have successfully pulled off was 500 yards two years ago. Bullet was a sleek 25 cal accubond spit from my 25-06 on a whitetail buck.

This past season a spike elk fell to a 175 gr. Nosler partition from the 7mm rem mag at 50-ish yards.... Complete mis-use of a Spitzer bullet. Few weeks later a small whitetail buck tipped over from a single 150 gr. core lokt tipped bullet from the same 7mm rem mag...Range 120 yards, Another bullet misapplication.

The closer they are, the easier it is to drill'em good. Under 200 yards covers most of my hunting. Don't always use round nose bullets, but when I do they never fail to impress and make me smile.

NRA life member
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

No, but they have 150's. I'll bet that is what wyocoyotehunter bought at murdocs. Also, the picture I posted was of 150gr Hornady RN interlocks.
Yes sir you are correct. They have the 150's

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bought a bunch of the 25 caliber 117 Hornady bullets. Going to play with them in my 257 Roberts. Grabbed some 175 RN for the 7x57 as well. Have never used any RN in the field. Going to remedy that this year.

GreggH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greggh, 175 gr. round nose bullets and a 7x57 is meant to be. Two friends of mine back in our younger years shot 7x57 rifles. One in a nice m-77 ruger and the other a well did sporterized mauser, Both used a 175 yr rn bullets for a while and the game piled up. Not one bullet was found in anything and that counts one large old bull elk, a 400 some pound black bear and several deer.

My observations when I was along twice for deer was an obvious hit and short well laid blood trail. Both buds claimed thats how it happens every time with anything.

Again, not overly long range neither. The deer I saw get shot were under 100 yards, pretty sure all game was under 200 yards.

NRA life member
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Have been shooting 180 gr round nose in 1895 Winchester .30-40, 220 gr round nose in 1895 Winchester .30-06. 180’s are Sierra, 220’s are Hornady. Starting buying whenever I saw them years ago assuming they would eventually be discontinued. Still find a box occasionally at gun shows.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yes sir you are correct. They have the 150's

I'm hoping they keep making them. I realize they are not as popular as pointy bullets, but they work pretty good in my new 30-30. I know my grandpa killed a lot of deer with his using similar bullets. I also bought some 170gr RN bullets from a local shop, but they only had 1 box of those on the shelf. I snagged them for about the same price as the 150's. What are you using the 180gr RN in?

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Round nose bullets just plain work....

A lot of old timers used them in our youth, because they knew they worked.... back in the days where most hunting was not done at 500 yds.
People got closer...

Nowadays you're not a Real Stud, unless all the game you shoot is at 500 to 1000 yds or more...

Hunt use to be done to put meat in the freezer... Nowadays its to put bragging pictures on the internet and have arguments with everyone else on how better you are than them...

They are clueless that there are many more than aren't really impressed with all their bragging... no one who's been around here for a while, need to try and guess who the usual suspects are...

Anyone can shoot something at 50 yds and then put a sign in front of the dead animal that says 971 yds....and then post pics of it on the internet..
and start insulting anyone who questions it...

I don't compete with everyone else in who's the greatest hunter and shooter contest. I go out and if I bring home something... Great.
If I don't, I enjoy the fact of being able to go out in the field for the day, which beats sitting at anchor on the home front and making the wife happy that I am out raking leaves, mowing the lawn, fixing her car etc.

Life doesn't have to be as hard as some of the campfire clown bragging squad make it...

A good hit on an animal, a round nose has never ever failed me to perform... regardless of distance... fancy dancy bullets have failed me...
I look for something that does what a round nose does.. perform... NOT look for something that is expensive so I can brag to everyone on the internet on how I use bullets that are expensive..

After reading the optics arguments that are going on the last couple of days.... I have a new Arkin scope coming in a few days from cameraland... but I'll let the campfire in on a little secret... in my life time, I've taken more deer with a Tasco or low end Bushnell and Leupold VX 2, than all these fancier scopes.... I enjoy the features on these scope types, they are handy over at the range at distance, when the target isn't moving... in the field where the animal is moving...an old Tasco or Leupold is handier and quicker...

Being able to set up and have a nice rest... its not that hard to be able to shoot an unknowing animal at 600 yds, meandering along...
What do people want? To take down something or have a bragging rights contest on the internet for the next 6 weeks?

I'd wager there are a lot more folks like me, than the small number of braggards, and the groupies that follow them, you'll find on any internet site.
This one included....

In growing up, by junior high, I figured out that those that have to brag about everything and 'how good they are'.. are usually people who are covering up something they don't want others to know.... from how insecure they really are...to trying to cover up on having a ridiculously short dick.
Braggards always have something they are trying to cover up, by drawing attention away from their negatives in life... guys with the big 1 ton pickups, with the big lift and the big tires are another example...

How many game animals are shot at 1000 yrds each season, with someone who has a $3000 rifie with a $2000 scope on top vs the number taken with a 30/30 and a 4 power Tasco or Bushnell on top? I'd say a whole lot more of the latter than of the former...

Round Nose bullets WORK, but sadly spendier bullets SELL... in the end tho, either one accomplishes the same thing...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Round nose bullets have been doing good for me. 170gr Hornady have never failed me at 8x57 velocities, the 196 Norma Dual cores have been one of the best I've tried. Shot a medium sized black bear on the run, rear end shot and came out the chest, I couldn't believe the amount of penetration that bullet went through. Bear dropped on the spot!
I also plan on trying 250gr RN Woodleighs in the near future out of the 8mm-06 @ 2450fps

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a stash of 154 gr. .284" Hornady RN I use in my 7x57 and 7x64 and a few left of 180 gr. .308" Winchester Power Points for the '06. They will suffice for all my needs as the longest distance I've shot since 1967 has been 125 yards.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.