Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Many here have "seen the elephant" -- or been in combat. It was more traumatic for some than others. Ground troops see more blood and gore than those of us who flew, for example.

It's a strange thing for sure. I worked for a guy that thought anyone that stated it was to rough to talk about was a pussy and I new a guy that wouldn't talk about it unless he was drunk, I also knew a guy that never talked about it and would get pissed if you asked.

I haven't been hrought it so I make no judgements either way, I just listen.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Thanks Brother.

Is that where you lost your eyebrows?

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you for your service!

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
No, thank YOU for my college money. 😁

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Saddaam forgot that the M1 A can see and shoot through dust and smoke. Unfortunately for his tankers, as I recall the reports.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by 673
Top pic...what is that burning?

The Iraqis set all the oil fields on fire
I was thinking oil wells....cool pics.

Saw an IMAX movie of how they put them out after. Was fascinating - not talking the John Wayne flick.

IIRC the Russians mounted jet engines on a tank, spooled them up and then just shot water in to the thrust created by it to create a giant Super Soaker type deal.

Wasn't the Russians...but some other crappy country over there.

I think it was our Canadian friends that extinguished the oil well fires.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

Saw an IMAX movie of how they put them out after. Was fascinating - not talking the John Wayne flick.

IIRC the Russians mounted jet engines on a tank, spooled them up and then just shot water in to the thrust created by it to create a giant Super Soaker type deal.

I think this was it.

The mig engines on a tank was Hungary, not Russia

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Doesn't seem like it's been 20 years. In 2003 I was with 2d Marine Expeditionary Brigade.

January-February we sailed from Camp Lejeune aboard the USS Kearsarge. Crossed the Atlantic, the Straits of Gibralter, through the Med, through the Suez Canal, Red Sea, Arabian Sea, and into the Persian Gulf.

February we were camped in northern Kuwait getting ready to invade Iraq. Incoming SCUDs from Iraq, [bleep] chow, shortage of MREs.

In March we invaded. Our mission was to essentially be door-kickers for the 1st Marine Division. We were to open a high speed avenue of approach for the 1stMarDiv all the way to Baghdad, so they would be fresh and fully provisioned as they entered Baghdad.

Along the way we had a lot of action in and around An Nasiriyah, participated in the rescue of Jessica Lynch. Went on to Ad Diwaniyah, Al Amarah, Samarah, Al Kut. Other little places along the way.

It was quite a time. Nothing else like it. Overall we suffered about 26 dead and 100 or so wounded.

I had served in prior hostile-fire areas in El Salvador, and Croatia. But Iraq was a true D-day style invasion of a foreign country. And there was no air campaign prior. The air campaign and the ground campaign both started simultaneously.

Amazing times and memories.

Our 'ride' , USS Kearsarge
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In Camp Ryan, northern Kuwait. A couple days before we went in. I'm the tall one in the back row, with the cool glasses,

Leaving Iraq aboard a CH-53, heading back to the Mother Ship.

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Doesn't seem like it's been 20 years. In 2003 I was with 2d Marine Expeditionary Brigade.

January-February we sailed from Camp Lejeune aboard the USS Kearsarge. Crossed the Atlantic, the Straits of Gibralter, through the Med, through the Suez Canal, Red Sea, Arabian Sea, and into the Persian Gulf.

February we were camped in northern Kuwait getting ready to invade Iraq. Incoming SCUDs from Iraq, [bleep] chow, shortage of MREs.

In March we invaded. Our mission was to essentially be door-kickers for the 1st Marine Division. We were to open a high speed avenue of approach for the 1stMarDiv all the way to Baghdad, so they would be fresh and fully provisioned as they entered Baghdad.

Along the way we had a lot of action in and around An Nasiriyah, participated in the rescue of Jessica Lynch. Went on to Ad Diwaniyah, Al Amarah, Samarah, Al Kut. Other little places along the way.

It was quite a time. Nothing else like it. Overall we suffered about 26 dead and 100 or so wounded.

I had served in prior hostile-fire areas in El Salvador, and Croatia. But Iraq was a true D-day style invasion of a foreign country. And there was no air campaign prior. The air campaign and the ground campaign both started simultaneously.

In Camp Ryan, northern Kuwait. A couple days before we went in. I'm the tall one in the back row, with the cool glasses,

I did that same route on the USS Saipan. Feeling old

Edit: and those are some sweet birth control glasses!!!!

Last edited by goalie; 02/24/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by goalie
32 years ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Thank You, and all the others for your service.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Yeah, the BCG's....grin

I'm 61 now, almost 62. I was well past my prime then. 41 years old is practically a dinosaur for Marines. Had my 42 b/d in Al Kut.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yeah, the BCG's....grin

There are few things as universal in the DOD as BCGs. Regardless of branch - everyone notices.

Me

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah, the BCG's....grin

There are few things as universal in the DOD as BCGs. Regardless of branch - everyone notices.

The wookie next to him isn't wearing BCG's....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My little brother was a forward observer for the 1st, he was flown over a few weeks after Kuwait got run over.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose. It was written to limit the power of government over the individual.

There is no believing a liar, even when he speaks the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

My wife's sister didn't make it back. Anniversary of the scud attack that killed her is tomorrow. Will be at the annual memorial in Greensburg tomorrow. Still tough on the family after all the years.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

My wife's sister didn't make it back. Anniversary of the scud attack that killed her is tomorrow. Will be at the annual memorial in Greensburg tomorrow. Still tough on the family after all the years.

I'm sorry for your loss. She is a hero.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ironically, perhaps, but my job was to close the breach. Meaning slow the flow of trucks coming down the Ho Chi Minh Trail every night. The NVA hid in the day, parking their trucks, bicycles, and beasts of burden under as much cover as they could. Our job was to plant small teams of courageous men near the HCMT to count trucks at night. That meant flying into Cambodia to receive their reports by radio each day, and be there to attempt to extract them when (not if) they were discovered.

It was a mission that Tricky Dick swore we weren't doing. And that meant that all of us were there doing it incognito. Flying an unmarked Cessna alone with no ID, no uniform, 100 miles deep into Cambodia made me a spy. With - unknown to me at the time - a $10,000 in gold reward on my head, dead or alive. With zero chance of the "alive" part if I had gotten shot down. It was strongly suggested to us that the .38 revolver we carried was not for defense, but in lieu of a cyanide pill.

Fortunately, although I was shot at a great deal (I quit counting after an estimated half-million rounds of ground fire) I was never seriously hit, and never wounded. My Cessna got me home 300 times.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
No, thank YOU for my college money. 😁

You're welcome, it was the least I could do.

I went over as a civilian in 2004. Not "into the breach" because we got to pick where we went and stayed out of the bad neighborhoods. We were south of Baghdad, at Numaniyah.

We were there when the Marines went into Fallujah, those guys were into the breach, and I salute them and all others who came before and after!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Squidge

My little brother was a forward observer for the 1st, he was flown over a few weeks after Kuwait got run over.

That's what I was, an enlisted forward observer. MOS 0861 Fire Support Man. At my senior enlisted rank I was no longer 'on the hill', but working as the Fires Chief in the Fire Support Coordination Center (FSCC). Still, as part of the Brigade FWD CP, we were working out of our Humvees, just behind the Infantry. Coordinating/deconflicting close and deep fires.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

Neal Adams Firefighters is the outfit that extinguished most of the well fires in Kuwait. Find a copy of Kuwait In Flames for the on the ground video.

I was there (Kuwait) about 5 years after Gulf War 1 and some of the carnage and destruction that still hadn't been cleaned up was sobering and surreal.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,213
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.