Hop To
R
robthom Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
What would be ball park costs for:

Taking a 96% inlet stock and fitting/ finishing for final stock. Not including cost of the inlet stock

Rebluing existing barrel and action or

Re Barrelling costs not including barrel blank

Adjusting existing trigger or

Replacement trigger fitting not including trigger

Thanking in advance.

Looking at Husqvarna 1640 rifles for my right handed children (future) I am left handed and mine are true left-handed. Wife right handed too.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I suspect costs to be significantly higher in merry old England than here?

There are so many variables it is difficult to guess what is expected versus what is offered. Huge differences in wood grade not because of initial cost (which you are not asking about) but because different figure types, wood densities, species, and so on affect the work required. The desired finish grade on all parts of the job is also a huge consideration.

The Brownells website has an extensive list of what they feel the current costs are. They have many disclaimers...

As the old saying goes:
Great Price
Prompt Delivery
Quality Work
Pick any Two.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
The issues in the UK include:

Lack of qualified craftspeople who can actually do the work rather than putting together prefit components.

There is simply more knowledge, experience and supply of rifle Smith's in the US. Also real knowledge of Mauser and Mauser derivative actions.

I am guessing circa $60-70 per hour for gunsmithing services. There will be a minimum charge, say 30 minutes. I am trying to get some idea of the manhours per task and charge rates according to task. I wondered how much additional work would be needed for example to finish a Richards 96% prefit old classic stock. Trigger work I would guess is expensive due to complexity and liability issues.from a slab blank it is upwards $2000 plus wood blank.

If a Moreover barrel blank costs around $470 USD, how much more to chamber, install and blue print, I guessed something like $800-1000 USD.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That's a pity. Recall H&H and others where gunsmithing was an art, maybe the best in the world.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Moreover should read Krieger barrel.

Slab blank = Woode blank cheese slice.

Where possible, I would want to retain original, esp barrel if it shot okay with quality factory ammunition say a genuine 1.25 inches
Off course condition of rifle barrel bore and chamber would need to be good - excellent.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
H&H , Westley Richards still make rifles for the rich but there are not many affordable uk makers for ordinary working people. You need to buy something like Schultz and Larsen, Heym etc which are still ££. And they are foreign. There is not much domestic demand - shrinkage of rifle shooters in UK and hence supply side goes: not good business / economic. Even in shotgun field Webley and Scott gone. BSA and Parker Hale long gone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 4,368 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,674
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.