-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have gotten out of trucking and am working on a ranch. Every morning about 5-6 AM I hear 4 different dens of coyotes howling to each other. With calving season in late Feb I'm sure the ranch owner would like me to "thin the packs" in Jan.
I have a long heavy 264 Win mag w/ a 6-20 Springfield scope and a heavy barreled AR-15 w/ a 4-12 Redfield. I'd like to get a digital distress cottontail call and a motorized decoy by Jan, but I took a pretty good pay cut by getting off the road.
What do I need for camo?? Is a blind better?? Is this a good call or should I use something else?? I will be hunting with different teenagers, so I don't know how still they will be able to sit in Jan in WY. I have limited preparation time and funds, any advice will be appriciated.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Sounds like you may have some fun with those coyotes.

If funds are an issue I would not bother with an electronic call, just pick up a couple of good mouth calls. Maybe a Jack rabbit sound and a cottontail.

Most any camo will work, but something like Cabela's Open Country or Moss Oak's Brush would be good in that part of Wyoming.

Get a good bipod or a set of shooting sticks and practice a little with the calls, you should be all set.

My dad and I got lucky yesterday morning, we killed five coyotes on a large cattle ranch we hunt on. We did not call them in, just spread out and walked them up. They were lying down in tall grass and would let you get pretty close. We had to shoot them on the run, but that was fun. Three more managed get away.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cowboy,
It is less about the sound, and much more about WHERE you make the sound - set-up is critical in calling coyotes. The old real estate saying "location, location, location," is nowhere more important than in coyote calling. You simply have to pay attention to wind direction and need to select a calling postion to help funnel the coyote where you can kill it. Expect a coyote to attempt to circle downwind if you let him. One whiff of you and he is history. And no, the Scent-Lok stuff or cover scent doesn't work on a sharp canines nose like a coyote. You do not need an e-caller, hand calls work fine. Handcalls however will direct a coyote right to YOU, so movement on the stand will get you busted more than any other single thing you can do to screw up. Camo really isn't necessary either, brown Carhartt's work fine - as long as you control your movements on the stand. Last point, know what the coyotes are doing at the time of year you begin calling. Late January or February in many places means the coyotes are breeding and distress calls may be less effective than howling. Howling can be complicated however and while you are learning the trade, distress calls are more foolproof.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 MOGC...

One saying I heard from Byron South that is so very true and has stuck with me...

"Always remember what you do before you start calling is much more important than what you do after you start calling..."

Last edited by Gmoney; 11/18/07.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cowboybart, MOGC has given you some very good advice. Here's a website that deals with predator hunting. There are a few hunters from your neck of the woods there too. BTW, I'd skip the blind. It'll only slow you down putting it up and taking it down on each stand. MI VHNTR

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanx for the tips. Any brand of mouth calls better than the next??

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like Tallyho's and crittrcalls. A Bill Austin howler to round it off....Don

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Okay, I'm cheap and lazy. The easy way to get good sounds is to get a walkman, Radioshack mini-amp (runs on AA or AAA batteries I'm not at home to look), and a small (say 5") outdoor horn speaker with about 25 feet of speaker wire.

Johnny Stewart tapes have called a lot of coyotes and they are cheap.

You can use a CD player and your computer to burn any combination of calls you can imagine.

But.....ain't many troubles that a man caint fix
with seven hundred dollars and his thirty ought six."

Lindy Cooper Wisdom
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Here's a like to Dan Thompsons calls (at www.allpredatorcalls.com)

I have the howler mentioned above but I really like the weems type calls - easy to blow.

Spot

IC B3

T
T
There's a couple Byron South DVD's that explain everything quite well. I have Coming to the Call II. Here's the website: http://www.comingtothecall.com/

I've had good luck with a Dan Thompson cottontail distress hand call this season. I also have had good luck with a Primo Hog Squeal call this season (its loud and raspy and sometimes sounds like a jackrabbit distress). Most of the name brand calls seem to work ok.

If you want a decoy, a couple turkey feathers tied to a stick works and its cheap.

TDH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little tip on using feathers for a decoy - add a small fishing swivel to prevent the line from twisting up, preventing free movement while blowing around in the wind.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know how cold it gets up there in Jan. You had better get two of each mouth call so you can have one defrosting in your pocket while you use the other.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First off I am curious but what part of Wyo will you be in?

Secondly like the others have said, I would go with 3 or 4 different mouth calls b4 I went to a electronic one. But then again I like to do the work and not have a call do it for me. One inexpensive electronic call you could check out is the Cass Creek ones. They're awfully darn good for a small amount of change.

Critter call is no doubt my fav and I would get the magnum size one. With it you can squeal like a bunny and or use it as a howler and come late January that will be very handy.
I also like one that Circe makes that is a 3 in one call.The Primo Regulator Tandem Pak and their Kiy Dog is a good one as well.

As for camo if it is white out a old bed sheet will work just fine as a cover up and or you can get some whites. I've never worried tons about what color I wear.

What I do worry tons about is site selection and being able to get in undetected by wind and sight. If a dog has either of those 2 on you it is game over.

Last couple of thoughts I would start off very softly and I mean soft. And being as I am naturally impatient I take along a watch and time my calling sites. I'll normally stay in place for 20 minutes b4 I get up to move on.

Best of luck to ya, for me calling critters is about as good as it gets. I've called in a bit over 60 bruins now and I just love it.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 01Foreman400, 204guy, 257heaven, 36 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,471
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.