Print Thread
Hop To
B
bh444 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
wifes birthday is coming up and I want to get her a new one.I bought the last one for her but that was years ago and it's getting tired.Looking input on what to get and not get.
Thanks

Last edited by bh444; 02/25/23.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I do. Get one with lots of storage.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If she uses any map programs, including Google or Apple maps, get one with a real GPS. The cheaper ones use cell tower pings for location and they're less than accurate. The real GPS will locate you within a few yards.
A couple years ago, I got a 9th Gen from Costco. I didn't know that there were 2 levels, with and without the GPS, and got the wrong one. Costco gave me a full refund once I'd returned it to factory new settings. The higher level with GPS cost about $200 more but was well worth it for OnX and other maps.
I got 128gb of storage. I can load many maps, photos, etc on it without worrying about storage. Ipads don't have an SD slot so you get what storage you buy and nothing else.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hi bh444,

I was going to buy one a few months ago, but I opted for the Lenovo IdeaPad instead, and am I ever happy that I did.

I can run my business from anywhere in the world with a Hotspot, it is synced to my home office and I can run every application that I run on my Desktop. If your wife is using it a lot, you may want to consider looking into one as an alternative to the iPad. Mine has a 15" screen and weighs 3lbs. 5 oz.

To save money on the purchase I bought one with Windows 10 at 1/2 the price of a Windows 11, then switched the OS to Windows 11, for free.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/25/23.

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Well a 64 gig Wi-Fi only goes for about 250 on Amazon. Same with Wi-Fi/cell runs ~489.00 then jump to the pro 128 gig and ~750-800. Or go whole hog 2T with Wi-Fi and Cell for a paltry 1999.00.
Only advice is if you want portability and GPS get the cellular, if not a concern just WiFi and 64 gig will do everything she needs.

Swifty
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wife has one, mostly to play games on, so upgraded her original one recently to a newer used one. She loves it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my iPad Pro and use it for everything. Haven’t used my laptop in years after switching to the iPad. I think she would love it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Well a 64 gig Wi-Fi only goes for about 250 on Amazon. Same with Wi-Fi/cell runs ~489.00 then jump to the pro 128 gig and ~750-800. Or go whole hog 2T with Wi-Fi and Cell for a paltry 1999.00.
Only advice is if you want portability and GPS get the cellular, if not a concern just WiFi and 64 gig will do everything she needs.
Whether 64 gig is enough depends totally on what she put on it. If she likes photos and music, she'll need more space. Videos eat a lot space, too. I've seen videos that use about 1 gig per hour of video.
I said earlier that I use OnX on mine. Storing downloaded maps eats space. OnX recently did an upgrade that greatly reduces the size of downloaded maps which really helps on phones with less storage.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hi bh444,

I was going to buy one a few months ago, but I opted for the Lenovo IdeaPad instead, and am I ever happy that I did.

I can run my business from anywhere in the world with a Hotspot, it is synced to my home office and I can run every application that I run on my Desktop. If your wife is using it a lot, you may want to consider looking into one as an alternative to the iPad. Mine has a 15" screen and weighs 3lbs. 5 oz.

To save money on the purchase I bought one with Windows 10 at 1/2 the price of a Windows 11, then switched the OS to Windows 11, for free.

KB
That's triple the weight of an Ipad. She might not like that.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IPad 10 with 256 Gb of storage, and the Smart cover with keyboard. She's got the lightning connector stuff, so you're covered there. iPads don't accept microSD cards for increased storage, so get the max available. If she's out of WiFi range a lot, getting one with a SIM card will allow her to use cell signals.
RB

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have one, works great

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RupertBear
IPad 10 with 256 Gb of storage, and the Smart cover with keyboard. She's got the lightning connector stuff, so you're covered there. iPads don't accept microSD cards for increased storage, so get the max available. If she's out of WiFi range a lot, getting one with a SIM card will allow her to use cell signals.
RB

I agree 100% with RuperBear.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There are a ton of options for external storage now for IPads/iPhones . Sandisk and others make external hard drives and thumb drives that you can store your photos , contacts, files, etc. you just download their app and plug it in so needing a huge amount of storage isn't as important as it used to be.

I recommend getting an IPad Pro for the larger screen and also get one with a cell/data plan..... at home you can run it on wifi but it makes it nice when traveling, etc. to have its own service vs. using a hotspot. And finally....Androids suck.... their security issues and problems with spam n chit are waaaaaaay worse than the IOS operating system. With IOS you just download an Adbloker app and go to town.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
RB

You are wrong.... there are a million different thumb drives and external drives that use the lightning connector either direct or through an adapter that you can use to increase storage.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RB

Ohhh contrare but they do. 10 bucks for the adapter on Amazon. So going big on the internal isn’t necessary. As stated earlier 64 gig is plenty for most uses.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/external-storage-devices-ipad75b7b23f/ipados

Connect a USB drive or an SD card reader

Attach the USB drive or SD card reader to the charging port on your iPad using a compatible connector or adapter.

Depending on your iPad model and external device, you may need the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter, USB-C to SD Card Camera Reader, or Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader (all sold separately).

With iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation) or iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation), you can connect multiple USB drives and other Thunderbolt devices to each other, then connect the chain of devices to the charging port on your iPad.

Note: A USB drive must have only a single data partition, and it must be formatted as FAT, FAT32, exFAT (FAT64), or APFS. To change the formatting of a USB drive, use a Mac or PC.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have two ipads. The older is an original that I just use for a book reader. The other is a much newer iPad Pro, the 9.7" screen and 256 MB storage. Mine has the ability to take a SIM card and connect to the internet. I have not used that feature, just use the house internet. It's far more capable than I really need. Most of the time I use my laptop PC, but I keep the iPad around all the time.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/25/23.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bh444
wifes birthday is coming up and I want to get her a new one.I bought the last one for her but that was years ago and it's getting tired.Looking input on what to get and not get.
Thanks

What will your wife be using the i pad for.

If you and her have an i phone you can set up your i phone as a hot spot for the i pad. That will reduce the initial cost.

We have 2 i pads that we purchased last year one for my wife that does not have cellular and the one for me with cellular.

My wife wanted a smaller one so she has the 8 inch and i have the 10 inch i pad. Both with additional memory.

Again my wife wanted one in the rose color and i did not really care, and was able to pick up the silver model.

If you have the options to look at the new i pads that gives you a better idea of what you want. We added keyboards and my wife wanted a pencil with hers.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hardway
Originally Posted by DouginAlaska
RB

You are wrong.... there are a million different thumb drives and external drives that use the lightning connector either direct or through an adapter that you can use to increase storage.

I should have been clearer. I was referring to internal storage. It is a true pita to be traveling and find that information you needed is on a geek stick that is at home.
RB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1Longbow, 1minute, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1moredeer, 204guy, 52 invisible), 1,879 guests, and 1,067 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,893
Posts18,498,013
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.