Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Well, I went into my LGS expecting to potentially get a Henry Big Boy X .45 Colt and they had gotten a Winchester 1894XTR Big Bore in .375 Win in. This has been a bucket list gun for me for quite a while but every time I've seen one for sale, I didn't have the funds. They had it priced about $100 over the average gunbroker price from the last 30 days. I got them down the $100 and after accounting for what shipping to Alaska would be, I came out alright. It's New Haven made with no safety (like a lever gun should be). Now time to find brass, dies, bullets, and maybe a receiver sight. I'll post pics shortly but I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Anschutz; 02/24/23. Reason: Got a bucket list gun instead
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Looking forward to seeing it and your progress with it! It's one the few guns I'm hoping to "luckily obtain but don't expect too!" It or an original Win 94 38-55!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe I ever sold the one I had. It was mint

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Nice, I bought one last fall from another member here and am a big fan. I did put one of the thin decelerator pads on it because the factory hard plate kept biting the heck out of my shoulder and leaving big gnarly bruises after 10-15 shots.

Threw one of the Skinner reciever sights on it, and it has worked really well... the windage is a bit touchy to dial in, but elevation is a piece of cake.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can send you a box a Sierra 200 grain bullets if that helps.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulation, they are nice carbines, I really like mine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a 98% condition pre-safety big bore in .307 Win.

Does yours have the front bridge drilled/tapped parallel to the bore, or perpendicular? The perpendicular ones are a total PIA to find mounts for, as the common Warne mounts labeled "1894 Big Bore" won't fit. I got lucky and found a correct set of mounts for mine, which is a perpendicular model, here on the 'fire.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by T_Inman; 02/25/23. Reason: Brainfart

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
It is parallel to the axis of the bore. This may be sacrilege but I found the Turnbull Red Dot Mount wondering if anyone had done one and may give that a try. I have other rifles for longer ranges so this will strictly be a fast handling, in the woods rifle.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That was a dream gun for me as teen. I’d still like to have one but probably won’t go searching. I’ve never seen one firsthand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one. It's a hoot.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Firecontrolman
That was a dream gun for me as teen. I’d still like to have one but probably won’t go searching. I’ve never seen one firsthand.

It became a bucket list gun for me probably five or six year ago. I'm moving to Kentucky this summer so hopefully I'll be able to put a KY Whitetail in the freezer with it. My guide gun may get angry at me but it's stock is currently cracked at the tang and an ear broke off that locks it into the receiver so until I get that fixed, or a new stock ordered, it's out of commission. I found a set of dies locally so as soon as my brass and bullet (thank you Fireball) purchases get in, I'll load some ammo and see how she does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Anschutz
It is parallel to the axis of the bore. This may be sacrilege but I found the Turnbull Red Dot Mount wondering if anyone had done one and may give that a try. I have other rifles for longer ranges so this will strictly be a fast handling, in the woods rifle.

I think I misspoke. I meant the front scope base holes, not the rear. I think all Win 94s rear scope base holes are perpendicular to the bore.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought one when they first came out. Should not have sold it, but that rifle kicked like a mule in that Model 94 stock

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Finally got some pictures taken

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I made a dummy round by sizing up some .30-30 brass and seating a cast bullet I forgot I had (Hunters Supply 260gr H&H).

I'm going to wait for the Starline Brass to come in before loading live ammo because I don't have many of these bullets on hand and the brass is a little caddywhompus.

Last edited by Anschutz; 02/26/23. Reason: Fix pictures
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I can send you a box a Sierra 200 grain bullets if that helps.

No need, appreciate it though. I got a couple boxes of the 200gr Shock Hammers a while back to try. Still haven't gotten around to shooting them yet... maybe this week if the weather cooperates.

Finally got some pictures taken

I made a dummy round by sizing up some .30-30 brass and seating a cast bullet I forgot I had (Hunters Supply 260gr H&H).

I'm going to wait for the Starline Brass to come in before loading live ammo because I don't have many of these bullets on hand and the brass is a little caddywhompus.

May wanna check those HS 260s over if you decide to use them. I tried some through mine that I had bought years ago. Diameter and weight were all over the place, so they threw absolutely terrible fliers (bullets missing the paper at 50 yards kind of fliers) Once I sorted them and loaded groups with consistent dia/weight they shot pretty well.

I'd say 50-60% of then were about the same, and the other 40% were just wild. There were some bullets down into the 250s and some clear up close to 270 grains with diameters that varied a few thousanths.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by zcm82
No need, appreciate it though. I got a couple boxes of the 200gr Shock Hammers a while back to try. Still haven't gotten around to shooting them yet... maybe this week if the weather cooperates.

Post up how those Hammers do once you test them. I'm not a huge fan of the break apart concept he has in theory but I'd give them a try. Going to give the Sierras a try first.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Will do. It's pretty nasty here today...windy and tstorms. The forecast looks a lot better tomorrow and Wednesday, so I'll probably do some shooting one day or the other.

The little 86gr Shock Hammers shoot really well through my Henry 327 Fed carbine, but I haven't plugged anything with them to see how well they perform on game yet. I'm hoping the 200s will be just as accurate for me in the 375.

*added*

One thing to note is the SH are EXTREMELY long for weight. I used 255gr load data backed off a bit, since they are actually longer than 255 Barnes. As a result I'm not expecting them to be particularly fast. Seated to the cannelure they are 2.520" on the nose and feed fine.

Last edited by zcm82; 02/27/23. Reason: addition
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I think I misspoke. I meant the front scope base holes, not the rear. I think all Win 94s rear scope base holes are perpendicular to the bore.

I also have a 94 in 307 with the original bi radial frt drilled and tapped scope base. Any clues on where to find a set would be appreciated...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im still looking for one that is Angle Eject to go along with my AE in .356

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I got a Turnbull Red Dot Mount on order. I'm still trying to figure out what sight I want to put on it (Likely a Vortex Venom) but I ordered the barrel mount after reading a few posts here and elsewhere to keep the action clean for carrying. Just need to make sure I keep the rear sight in a safe place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (257 mag, 7887mm08, 35, 240NMC, 10Glocks, 15 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,607
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.