Print Thread
Hop To
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I was at a gun show this morning and talked myself into picking up a nice little custom build on a Model 70 action. It is a G prefix action with 6 numerals following. SN G238XXX. Is this a standard Model 70 action? I am not that familiar with Winchester and just recently have taken an interest in them. The bolt handle does not have the knurled ring around the widest part, which I thought was odd.The bolt is clean stainless with no jewelling or anything and kind of looks like a black coating may have been removed from it at one time. The rifle is bedded into a Brown Precision stock with a Shilen barrel and chambered in .284 win. The rifle is also cerakoted. I picked it up for $800 and the barrel looks as though it has had very few rounds through it. The bolt face shows some use though, likely from prior to being rebarraled. Any idea when the action was made and any thoughts on the rifle? The trigger is nice, but heavy. Its a wide shoe with ridges.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Oakster, that sounds like a great find - can you post a few pictures?

By serial I think that must be a Classic Controlled Round Feed, not push feed??

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I was reading on this serial number deal and one of the websites I was on was showing the different bolt faces. I beleive (from memory) that the bolt face on this one is the combo, controlled push feed. I will try to post some pictures later... I need to head back in to work and help some people out on a project yet tonight.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Also interested to see photos

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oakster
I was reading on this serial number deal and one of the websites I was on was showing the different bolt faces. I beleive (from memory) that the bolt face on this one is the combo, controlled push feed. I will try to post some pictures later... I need to head back in to work and help some people out on a project yet tonight.

I'd like to see some pictures too. Sounds like a classic 6 digit. Probably made from around 95-99 or there abouts. When you get some time, post some pics. I always love looking at model 70's. I think I scared a guy off at the range yesterday. I knew more about his rifle than he did!!! Dang it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Need pics. It’s either a pf 670 or a crf m70. It won’t be a CRPF with that sn.

Either way, the brown is worth damn near what you paid for it. Good grab.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Went down and took some pictures. It lookes like a push feed. It has the ejector button in the bolt face.

Last edited by Oakster; 02/26/23.
O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Darn it, I bet you are right... it is probably a 670 action. I thought the model 70 always had the knurled ring around the bolt knob, it didnt even click in my mind that it wasnt a model 70 but the plain bolt know was weird. That is a bummer. Here are some photos.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the discussion and the information fellas.

Last edited by Oakster; 02/26/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with that action.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickBin

The pushfeed is a great action. I agree with you Rick. I've been having a lot of fun with my new pushfeed 308 the last week. I don't know if that is a Brown Precision stock though. I'll bet AKWolverine would know. Looks like a nice rifle though. The OP is going to have to let us know how that .284 shoots.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The pushfeed is a great action. I agree with you Rick. I've been having a lot of fun with my new pushfeed 308 the last week. I don't know if that is a Brown Precision stock though. I'll bet AKWolverine would know. Looks like a nice rifle though. The OP is going to have to let us know how that .284 shoots.

It looks to be a brown winlite takeoff; repainted and repadded.

If not, it’s a McMillan Winchester classic (same pattern with tiny differences).

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That’s pretty cool 😎

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It looks to be a brown winlite takeoff; repainted and repadded.

If not, it’s a McMillan Winchester classic (same pattern with tiny differences).

I figured you would know. The winlite is shaped quite a bit differently than the Brown poundR's I have. Grip angle and length much tighter and no cheek piece on the Brown Precision winlite, from the looks of it.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nothing wrong with that 670! Uncle has one and it drives nails. If it was true up and built right, I wouldn't hesitate to build off that action. And for 800 bucks you did good.

O
Oakster Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks guys. I was out of town for a few days but I hit a few sportings good stores and I found Talley rings, RCBS dies and a box of lapua brass for this set up. That should get me started. its the tail end of snowmobile season though so it may be a while until i get some shooting. I did not find any factory ammo or any other new brass for this caliber in any of the stores. Feel lucky to get everthing I needed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’d be curious to see pictures of the bedding if you ever pull it out to check on things.

I think you did really well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oakster
Thanks guys. I was out of town for a few days but I hit a few sportings good stores and I found Talley rings, RCBS dies and a box of lapua brass for this set up. That should get me started. its the tail end of snowmobile season though so it may be a while until i get some shooting. I did not find any factory ammo or any other new brass for this caliber in any of the stores. Feel lucky to get everthing I needed.

Very lucky..

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 1100mag, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,382 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,264
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.