-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used the Watts Walnut Redfield clone bases. I drilled and tapped the action using a Bridgeport vertical mill.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
I prefer the look of Talley rings.

Yeah but Talley doesn't make rings for a Model 1903 Mannlicher Schoenaur

Well, yeah they do. Their rings will fit any gun however, you may need a gunsmith to make a proper base so they will fit the rifle.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MAC

Well, yeah they do. Their rings will fit any gun however, you may need a gunsmith to make a proper base so they will fit the rifle.
Now that would be interesting.

MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MAC

UH, no they don't. Their website lists the models they make mounts for and the Mannlicher Schoenaur is not listed. If you need to get the base altered by a gunsmith then why bother when others make them for the rifle? Hell a good gunsmith can just make the mounts if that was the goal and I wouldn't have to pay Talley for them.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

UH, no they don't. Their website lists the models they make mounts for and the Mannlicher Schoenaur is not listed. If you need to get the base altered by a gunsmith then why bother when others make them for the rifle? Hell a good gunsmith can just make the mounts if that was the goal and I wouldn't have to pay Talley for them.
Marley, Have you ever heard the term 'split bridge'....have you ever even handled ANY Mannlicher...Greek, Dutch, Austrian, Irish Constabulary etc? Put down the shovel man, you're deep enough.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Mounts consists of bases and rings. As I said Talley makes rings and their rings will fit a properly made gunsmith made mount just as redfield rings fit a base designed to use redfield rings.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Marley, Have you ever heard the term 'split bridge'....have you ever even handled ANY Mannlicher...Greek, Dutch, Austrian, Irish Constabulary etc? Put down the shovel man, you're deep enough.

I have handled a few of them. I own the one in the photo posted here. It is a Greek Mannlicher-Schönauer Model 1903/14.
Do you want my shovel? grin

MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Mounts consists of bases and rings. As I said Talley makes rings and their rings will fit a properly made gunsmith made mount just as redfield rings fit a base designed to use redfield rings.

Moron did you read my original post? I asked about MOUNTS! I did not ask about RINGS! Talley rings without a mount are worthless and if I have to modify a mount to make those rings work then that is also worthless when I can buy one made for the rifle.

Talley makes great products but they DO NOT make that product for this rifle. What part of that is hard for you to grasp?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MAC

Moron did you read my original post? I asked about MOUNTS! I did not ask about RINGS! Talley rings without a mount are worthless and if I have to modify a mount to make those rings work then that is also worthless when I can buy one made for the rifle.

Talley makes great products but they DO NOT make that product for this rifle. What part of that is hard for you to grasp?

You're a special kind of stupid. Probably still riding a short bus too. You posted a need for mounts in the Gunsmithing category and I recommended you find a gunsmith to make some mounts for your rifle and that the mounts utilize talley rings. Now it is fine with me if you're too ignorant to realize it was just a recommendation and that you're too stupid to know that it could be done by any competent gunsmith. Read it a couple of times until you finally get some comprehension skills.

You're phrase here: "I know Griffin and Howe builds mounts for them and I could send it to them but I'm curious if anybody knows of anyone else doing it."
My response since you posted this in the gunsmithing section: Get a Gunsmith to make you one that will use Talley Rings.

Now, GFY.

Last edited by Marley7x57; 03/01/23.
MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Now, GFY.

Bye Bye Punk. Some folks here gave good advice as to who makes mounts beside Griffin and Howe. You are not one of those folks since I was not asking about rings and Talley DOES NOT MAKE THE MOUNTS. Go play in traffic Child. I will waste no more time on you.

To those who gave legitimate advice I thank you. I also apologize to you for the moron above who doesn't seem to be able to grasp my simple question.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MAC
Talley DOES NOT MAKE THE MOUNTS.

Right, but a good gunsmith does however, I would not recommend any that I know to you as you are too much of a simpleton to understand mounts and bases. And, apparently, gunsmith abilities.

Try not to fall off the short bus anymore.

But if you do, head to the Tulsa Gun Show as there should be many old style factory mounts available there. Hard to find in a 7 acre building but since you seem to have a single minded obsession it should work out for you.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Well. I was hoping for a good old Campfire mudslinging match. Been pretty quiet around here of late....

Sure, a competent machinist/gunsmith (if you can find one who isn't an AR-screwer-togetherer) could fabricate a set of mounts to utilize Talley rings, bearing in mind the obstacle presented by the split receiver bridge. But, until he's done measuring, designing, and actually fabricating and then finishing them you'll be looking at spending Big Bucks. Can you afford that (bless you if you can)? It would certainly be a thing to set the rifle apart from the rest of the pack! I bet at the end of the day it would be cheaper though just to send it off to G&H to have one of their classic QD side mounts fitted (and at the same time end up with a scope mounting system that won't begin to interfere with the iron sights if you're pressed into using them).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

I have handled a few of them. I own the one in the photo posted here. It is a Greek Mannlicher-Schönauer Model 1903/14.

Marley, do you believe that the rifle in the photo that you posted is a M-S 1903/14?

MAC Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Well. I was hoping for a good old Campfire mudslinging match. Been pretty quiet around here of late....

Sure, a competent machinist/gunsmith (if you can find one who isn't an AR-screwer-togetherer) could fabricate a set of mounts to utilize Talley rings, bearing in mind the obstacle presented by the split receiver bridge. But, until he's done measuring, designing, and actually fabricating and then finishing them you'll be looking at spending Big Bucks. Can you afford that (bless you if you can)? It would certainly be a thing to set the rifle apart from the rest of the pack! I bet at the end of the day it would be cheaper though just to send it off to G&H to have one of their classic QD side mounts fitted (and at the same time end up with a scope mounting system that won't begin to interfere with the iron sights if you're pressed into using them).

Exactly but that fool just can't grasp that. Based on the photo he posted he doesn't even know what a Model 1903 looks like. I have little time for morons which is why I tossed him on the ignore list. Life is simply too short to deal with the irritation of some clowns.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by MAC
Exactly but that fool just can't grasp that. Based on the photo he posted he doesn't even know what a Model 1903 looks like. I have little time for morons which is why I tossed him on the ignore list. Life is simply too short to deal with the irritation of some clowns.

Ha Ha Ha. Better look at that photo a bit harder old man.

It seems like you are one to jump to conclusions and, when you cannot figure things out, start slinging out insults and that is why they got sent back to you. Keep the conversation rational and I will as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Marley, do you believe that the rifle in the photo that you posted is a M-S 1903/14?

Yes I do.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

It would be pricey for a Talley base/ring system as most highly qualified gunsmiths able to do the task probably charge at, or north, of $100 per hour. Could be done though and I would not spend the money unless a full blown custom. Problem with Griffin & Howe mounts is they weigh quite a bit.
The best place for MAC to to find some redfield type bases/rings or a S&K type base/rings is the Tulsa Gun Show this April 1 and 2. Also, TeeBone recommended a site for him for him to check out.

Must admit, I am beginning to believe the Manlicher-Schoenauer may be too classy for MAC. grin

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MAC
Originally Posted by MAC

Yes I do.

Fred Wells "Mauserlicher". I've seen this rifle before. Not sure I'd call it a 1903/14.
You can stop the ruse. Care to share more pics?

Last edited by TeeBone; 03/02/23.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Maybe not Fred Wells. Can't recall now...been a while.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Maybe not Fred Wells. Can't recall now...been a while.

Steve Nelson.

http://www.classicarmsjournal.com/the-mauserlicher-rifle/5/

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 55 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.