Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Ain't they pretty. I've been wanting an M1 Carbine for a long, long time. But most of the originals have been rode hard and put up wet a half dozen times over and they still want a handful of hundred dollar bills for them.

Fulton Armory makes some virtually new examples built to original specs. But they want your first born child for them.

It's going to dent the heck out of my meager savings account if I do. But I might have to drop the hammer on one of these in the not too distant future.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just don’t see the attraction. To each his own I guess.

Last edited by Stammster; 02/26/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cool little guns. I have one made by Underwood in 1943. My father got it through the DCM for $19.95 back in the 1960's.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Stammster
I just don’t see the attraction.
I believe the nostalgia of .30 carbine takes a person back to a time and place where our men were fighting for our freedom and freedom of future generations. Same goes for the Garand

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Stammster
I just don’t see the attraction.

Walnut and forged machined steel, slick gas operated short piston action, weighs 4.5 lbs and fires a 110 grain .30 caliber bullet at 2100 fps. Light recoil, unique sounding "bark".

What's not to like?

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Germany came out with the STG 44. America said, "that looks like fun" and put a disconnector into the M1 Carbine. Looks like a handful to hold down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Contrary to popular legend the M1 Carbine and cartridge makes an effective combo.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would love to have one.
Just not enough to pay for one.

Missed my good chance.
A family friend died, he instructed his wife to offer me his 03A3, carbine, and the
M1 he was issued in the USMC. Never heard how he got it, but that was the
reason I was held until after he died.
I couldn't rip her off, advised value and left.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a Fulton Garand instead.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i think 6 magic parts converts one to m2. use to find parts at o gun shows truth is about ten minutes with a file gis do them in wwii.
all most no recoil

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You’re making me want to buy back my GI issue carbine that needs a stock replaced.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Bristoe.. I just checked the price of those Fulton rifles and goodness.. you can find yourself a decent authentic carbine for that price

Certainly one that hasn’t been abused anyway..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Bristoe.. I just checked the price of those Fulton rifles and goodness.. you can find yourself a decent authentic carbine for that price

Certainly one that hasn’t been abused anyway..

The authentic M1 Carbines can be had for about half of a Fulton Armory. But they're 80 years old and have been through a few wars and even more armorers. Most of the originals have seen so many repairs that they're constructed from a collection of parts.

From what I've read, the M1 Carbines originally were fairly dependable little rifles. But they've developed a reputation for sketchy reliability simply because most of them out there these days are about half wore out.

I wouldn't mind buying an original and restoring it to good working order. But some aspects of them are fairly finicky to work on and requires some special tools that are hard to find. (and costly when you do find them) Combine that with the fact that even a rode hard and put up wet original will set you back well north of a thousand dollars (and even then not knowing what it's going to need) and it gets tricky.

The Fulton Armory Carbines are constructed of machined, forged steel with high quality barrels,...and they're virtually new. The workmanship that goes into them is probably on par with the best manufacturers of the originals.

But they cost a chunk of change.

I located a decent looking original at a local gunship a few weeks ago for $1300. But who knows what an 80 year old war surplus gas operated rifle is going to need to make it a reliable shooter?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Still rather have a Rhodesian FAL.

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My 30 Carbine story. I was born (late 1961) and raised in a small (then) town in NorCal with a large African American population. When MLK was killed, riots ensued and curfews came quick. I was sleeping over at my best friends whose Father was on the town police reserves. I recall him leaving the house with his Winchester made 30 Carbine. A vision, him with helmet on and gone. Maybe 10 or so years later I took that 30 Carbine into high school wood shop to refinish the stock. Once stripped I found a pretty nice piece of wood that ultimately refinished beautifully.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by EdM
My 30 Carbine story. I was born (late 1961) and raised in a small (then) town in NorCal with a large African American population. When MLK was killed, riots ensued and curfews came quick. I was sleeping over at my best friends whose Father was on the town police reserves. I recall him leaving the house with his Winchester made 30 Carbine. A vision, him with helmet on and gone. Maybe 10 or so years later I took that 30 Carbine into high school wood shop to refinish the stock. Once stripped I found a pretty nice piece of wood that ultimately refinished beautifully.

Was it a reliable shooter?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Buy an original, not some worn out pos

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by EdM

Was it a reliable shooter?

Boy...I bet.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I hear what you’re saying B, but for me the cool factor of having an original way supersedes a newer production unit.

I’ve got an inland and a NPM both purchased in the last couple years-ish . I shopped around and was patient in finding honest examples. They were both had for less than the Fultons. Neither one has given me a hint of trouble
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]wyoming wallpaper

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Still rather have a Rhodesian FAL.

The Steyr STG-58 is the one to get. I've assembled a few. The Rhodies are usually in very rough condition. Not as bad as the G1s,...but pretty rough. A lot of killing was done with the Rhodies.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,067
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.