Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It used to be the Ruger 77 RL, 700 Ti/Mountain & Featherweight. Then came the Kimbers & Tikka Superlites.

Certain that there are many more, thought I’d ask you gents.

What other light rifles are made these days?

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Seekins Havak element
Christensen Mesa fft, fft ti
Christensen Ridgeline fft, fft ti
Weatherby has a bunch. Backcountry and back country Ti are the lightest.
NULA

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Contenders and Encores

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Greatly overlooked, savage lightweight hunter

Just rebarreled one to 284 Winchester

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 02/27/23.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Howa mini is pretty light.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I really like my Sako 85 Hunter in 30-06. If I was going to buy another rifle right now where light weight was a primary decision factor, I would probably go to EuroOptic.com & purchase a LH Sako 85 Carbonlight in 6.5 Creedmoor since it's in stock & on sale. Weighing in at 5.29#, I think that's probably at the light end of the scale for rifles I would want. Especially since left-handed selections are limited anyway. I'm sure there's probably a fairly lightweight Tikka in a more economical form as well. If I was a "normal" person, I might have more options to chose from:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-85-S...S-BUSA-204-1-8-6-1-Rifle-JRSCF20248.aspx

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had a Kimber that I could keep a hair under 6 lbs scoped. With the right scope. I came to the conclusion that was too much of a good thing. There are lots of good options out there that are 6-6.5 lbs naked and will come in between 7 to 7.25 lbs scoped. That's as light as I want. My vote goes to Tikka in that weight class.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Weatherby MK V 6.5 RPM TI 2.0

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by JMR40
I had a Kimber that I could keep a hair under 6 lbs scoped. With the right scope. I came to the conclusion that was too much of a good thing. There are lots of good options out there that are 6-6.5 lbs naked and will come in between 7 to 7.25 lbs scoped. That's as light as I want. My vote goes to Tikka in that weight class.

My Kimber Mountain Ascent (.308) is 5 lb 10 ounces with Talleys and a Leupold 2.5-8X .. B&C, not "twisty knobs." It is pretty sweet for packing around the mountains.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Barret Fieldcraft in 6.5 X 55 is pretty darn light. It's significantly lighter than my 700 Ti in 7SAUM

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A bit of topic drift here, pardon, but if you are shopping for a very light rifle...you may want to consider borrowing one from a friend, and actually shooting it from field positions. It takes a damn good rifleman to master and get full accuracy potential in light rifle, especially if it is muzzle light. Not saying it can't be done, but I have seen some pretty dismal scores in 14 yrs or so of NRA Sporting Rifle competition. The few who can pull it off, are real veterans, shooting hundreds of rounds a year in practice. Just an opinion.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
700 Ti 7mm-08. That’s with a 42mm scope.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
A bit of topic drift here, pardon, but if you are shopping for a very light rifle...you may want to consider borrowing one from a friend, and actually shooting it from field positions. It takes a damn good rifleman to master and get full accuracy potential in light rifle, especially if it is muzzle light. Not saying it can't be done, but I have seen some pretty dismal scores in 14 yrs or so of NRA Sporting Rifle competition. The few who can pull it off, are real veterans, shooting hundreds of rounds a year in practice. Just an opinion.

flintlocke;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're all surviving the snow storm if you were hit by it and that you're well.

As I was reading this, I was pondering how to say the same thing as you did, so thanks for doing so.

Personally if there's much recoil at all, my comfort level is right about 7lbs to hit consistently enough that I'm satisfied with my performance.

Way back in the day, two different folks owned a Mohawk action .284 with a super thin barrel and a Chet Brown Pounder stock. It was - if memory serves and I never weighed it - right around 6lbs.

A hunting and shooting neighbor's ex brother in law built it and couldn't get used to it so he sold it to another chap. I'll note here that the builder was a skookum fellow and the next owner was even larger. He was at the range when I was one day and he asked if I'd mind seeing what I could do with it.

We both were able to get 3 shot groups into about 1½" but interestingly my point of impact was at least 2" above his. The recoil was very sharp and abrupt on it.

The aforementioned neighbor brought it up one day when we were sharing a frosty beverage in one of our shops and he recalled being pummeled by it as well, not liking it enough to buy it when it came for sale and thought his groups were about the same. So okay, but not great exactly.

Another good friend up in Whitehorse had a Remington Ti in 7-08 set up for about the 6lb weight and he finally sold it too as he found he just didn't shoot it consistently enough to get confident with it.

Again this seems not to be a stature thing, as I'm no giant at 5'6" 150lb, my neighbor friend is a bit larger and then the other folks are fairly large folks.

Anyways if one can do good work with them then for sure they'll receive a tip of the battered Bailey from me, but I cannot, despite some attempts.

Hopefully that was useful to someone out there.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/27/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Good post and thought. I also agree with JMR40 on this one, but some guys like their rifles really light. Not a bad thing when you have to pack them all day long, but when it comes time to shoot them ,they are on a whole new level of got to make everything right, or else!!! I have one buddy that can't even shoot my Tikka Superlite well because it's too light for him. Even off the bench on a good rest, he struggles to shoot 3" groups.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Howa Super Lite claims to be 4 pounds, 7 ounces from the factory.(.308 caliber) Haven’t handled one yet, but I have to think it’s got to be one of the lightest production rifles made.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal

flintlocke;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope you're all surviving the snow storm if you were hit by it and that you're well.

As I was reading this, I was pondering how to say the same thing as you did, so thanks for doing so.

Personally if there's much recoil at all, my comfort level is right about 7lbs to hit consistently enough that I'm satisfied with my performance.

Way back in the day, two different folks owned a Mohawk action .284 with a super thin barrel and a Chet Brown Pounder stock. It was - if memory serves and I never weighed it - right around 6lbs.

A hunting and shooting neighbor's ex brother in law built it and couldn't get used to it so he sold it to another chap. I'll note here that the builder was a skookum fellow and the next owner was even larger. He was at the range when I was one day and he asked if I'd mind seeing what I could do with it.

We both were able to get 3 shot groups into about 1½" but interestingly my point of impact was at least 2" above his. The recoil was very sharp and abrupt on it.

The aforementioned neighbor brought it up one day when we were sharing a frosty beverage in one of our shops and he recalled being pummeled by it as well, not liking it enough to buy it when it came for sale and thought his groups were about the same. So okay, but not great exactly.

Another good friend up in Whitehorse had a Remington Ti in 7-08 set up for about the 6lb weight and he finally sold it too as he found he just didn't shoot it consistently enough to get confident with it.

Again this seems not to be a stature thing, as I'm no giant at 5'6" 150lb, my neighbor friend is a bit larger and then the other folks are fairly large folks.

Anyways if one can do good work with them then for sure they'll receive a tip of the battered Bailey from me, but I cannot, despite some attempts.

Hopefully that was useful to someone out there.

Best to you all.

Dwayne

Good post Dwayne. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. It is interesting that you bring up size and body weight, as I've heard the bigger guys may be punished more from recoil. Then again, if you are too light, you may not be able to control it as well. I know there are many trick moves that are brought up by some here, to shoot lightweight rifles well. However, I just shoot them like anything else. No towel over the barrel, or under the stock, no grasping it any different than any other rifle. Just focus on the fundamentals and shoot it. And definitely no lead sleds. Why guys shoot with those is beyond me. A guy should definitely practice shooting from field positions with a lightweight rifle and see what his skill level is and if it's right for him. Like flintlocke said, maybe borrow a rifle from a buddy, or go shooting with a buddy that has a really lightweight rifle and see how you do.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Amazingly Long List Of Simplistic Schit,you Fhuqktards can't do,never ceases to amaze. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Actually if you are like me, a mediocre rifleman, you can probably get a glimpse of your potential just by holding and dry firing, the crosshairs on a distant object. Call your shots. Take that mental snapshot of the sight picture when the striker falls. Also, compare your 'wobble circle' on the target with the 6# rifle and the 8# rifle.
Disclaimer, this only applies to offhand and sitting (where 90% of my meat comes from). This only applies to mediocre and below riflemen. Masters and High Masters have the eye and trigger control to snatch 10's and X's as the crosshairs swing toward the center of the bull, repeatedly.
May be an age thing, may be lack of physical conditioning, but at 77, I find that precious first 2 seconds, when the rifle is up and steady and the crosshairs are as stable as they will ever be, that is prime time for the electrical brain impulse to the trigger finger. Writers insist the shot should be a surprise, I'm sure that is true for stable supported positions, offhand, running deer, I do much better with a deliberate pull when my brain 'likes' the sight picture and a total concentration!!! follow through. I have a 'running deer' zip line target on my home range...very educational for me and my guests.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've yet to see someone shoot a light rifle so poorly that they'd miss the basketball sized vitals of a whitetail at common hunting distances.

Me

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Common hunting distances being the key phrase...to my knowledge I've never seen a whitetail so am clueless. But I'd bet money I could miss a basketball in motion, grin.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 49 invisible), 2,049 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,760
Posts18,495,496
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.