Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A friend has a wonderful yellow lab that lost her right front.
Once she relearned making hard turns, she went right back to hunting and an active outdoor life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I met my GF she had a 3 legged Yorkie named Boo-Boo. Her kid's dog. Good little runt - as much as a yorkie can be I guess.

I wanted to rename him to "yardstick" but was overruled.

3 legged Vizsla that's fairly famous -

Me

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
cousin and I when we were like in our mid twenties early twenties, found a three-legged Brittany spaniel. this was an awesome bird dog heart most dogs never had she would literally go and Hunt very well until she was just so tired that we had to take turns carring her back to the truck. don't know if she got lost from original owner we looked but never could find one or if the original owner just kind of deserted her. if they had deserted her she hadn't been deserted too awful long cuz she was in good health. but she was found reasonably close to some public hunting ground so..

Last edited by ldholton; 02/27/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes and sadly we just put her down after sixteen and a half years. She was a cancer survivor (right rear leg) so it had to go followed by a bout of chemo. Vets said six months to a year tops, but she lasted three more, until dementia got her. Hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Yes and sadly we just put her down after sixteen and a half years. She was a cancer survivor (right rear leg) so it had to go followed by a bout of chemo. Vets said six months to a year tops, but she lasted three more, until dementia got her. Hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life.
serious question how do you know if a dog has dementia?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by worriedman
Pop had a bitch named Gyp, she was a Feist/Beagle mix, best rabbit jump dog ever. She was so fast though she could catch one instead of run with the other dogs. (that batch of beagles would eat a rabbit quicker'n a cat could lick its hinney, you had to race them to the dead bunny if'n you wanted it for super).

She got caught in a fence off in the Dyersburg bottom while the pack was running a smart old swamper, took a half a day to find her. Front leg went thought the American wire fence and when she went over it she was hung. Got her loose late that day, carried her to the vet next morning. He took the foot off below the knee.

Never could tell it slowed her down much, she lived to be 13 and figured out how to turn a squirrel to your side of the tree at about age 3.

Good companion to a kid and our only dog that did not stay in the pen.

Did your dad hunt the TN river bottoms around Perry and Decatur Co.? We used to chat with a guy when we saw him running beagles around there that had a 3 legged female. It didn't seem to bother her and she was as fast.

I have seen a 3 legged bobcat that appeared as healthy as they come minus the foot.

Last edited by Hardwoodmaterials; 02/27/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by jorgeI
serious question how do you know if a dog has dementia?

There are several key indicators link
Symptoms of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

These are the most common symptoms of dementia in dogs:

Disorientation/confusion

Getting stuck going around objects

Not recognizing familiar people or pets

Staring blankly at walls

Pacing

Changes in behavior

Extreme irritability

Decreased desire to play

Excessive licking

Lack of self-grooming

Loss of appetite (anorexia)

Anxiety/restlessness/Impaired memory

Seeming disregard for previously learned training or house rules

Slow to learn new tasks

Inability to follow familiar routes

Fecal and urinary soiling in the home

Changes in sleep cycle

Night waking

Night vocalization

Night pacing

Causes of Dog Dementia

The exact causes of CCD are not known, but many of the same changes that cause problems as people age are likely to also cause problems as our pets age. Scientists are studying CCD and its similarities to Alzheimer's. Research is ongoing and new developments are constantly coming to light as we study the aging of our canine companions, but here is some of what we do know.

As dogs age, the brain atrophies, meaning that the cells die. This especially affects the portion of the brain responsible for learning and memory (the cerebral cortex) and the areas responsible for coordination (the cerebellum).

Research has also found that dogs with CCD have an abnormal protein (beta amyloid) building up in their brains. This protein buildup has been shown to cause decreased nerve signaling in the brain. In dogs with CCD neurotransmitters, which help the brain to send signals, are also degraded by high levels of a compound called monoamine oxidase B (MAOB).

Dogs with epilepsy and dogs that lead a sedentary lifestyle have also been shown to be at a higher risk for developing CCD.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
thanks jorgel .. interesting

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
We had a 3 legged border collie on the farm years ago. When he was running and chasing cows, you couldn't tell that he was missing a front leg. Turning wasn't his strong suit though...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
James Harriot's All Creatures Great and Small books. In one of them, he told the story about someone who always wanted to give a pet every chance. He had a 3 legged dog that got hurt and lost a 2d leg. The guy insisted on giving the dog a chance on 2 legs, both on the same side. The dang dog did learn and could run very well on 2.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think I may have dog dementia then!

There are several key indicators link
Symptoms of Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

These are the most common symptoms of dementia in dogs:

Disorientation/confusion

Getting stuck going around objects

Not recognizing familiar people or pets

Staring blankly at walls

Pacing

Changes in behavior

Extreme irritability

Decreased desire to play

Excessive licking

Lack of self-grooming

Loss of appetite (anorexia)

Anxiety/restlessness/Impaired memory

Seeming disregard for previously learned training or house rules

Slow to learn new tasks

Inability to follow familiar routes

Fecal and urinary soiling in the home

Changes in sleep cycle

Night waking

Night vocalization

Night pacing

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep and a one eyed cat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hardway
Yup.... our Queensland got hit by a car when she was about a year old....busted beyond repair..... got infected after.... touch and go for about 2 weeks.... I tried like hell to just have her put down but the wife and kids wouldn't allow it. She is about 8 now and has been a great dog..... cost about 2 grand when all was said and done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yup, Bella lived to 13.

R.I.P. beautiful.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't have a three-legged beast myself, but I worked at a veterinary clinic and I saw lot of dogs with shattered legs. I can only recall one cat though.

The vets sometimes had a hard time convincing the owners to simply amputate the leg. For many owners, their pets were furry little people and the owner was "sure that the dog wouldn't want to live minus a leg". cry

We had the phone numbers of half a dozen owners of dogs who had lost a leg, and who would be willing to bring their tripod dog in to show them.

After seeing a couple of three-legged dogs zooming around the yard, most owners agreed to the amputation and the dogs lived many more happy years.

/John

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Looking at my 3 legged gwp right now. She's an awesome hunter and a joy to be around. My friends call her tripod.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got bit by a three legged pitbull named Jesus.

Back biting little fugker got me on the calf.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got one now, he showed up 12 years ago, the barn cat had him holed up under a rotary mower. Poor bastard lost his back leg and nuts in the same day.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had a beagle who ran three legged for a while when we were kids. He chased cars rolling down our dirt road and was hit one day, breaking a hind leg. The vet was able to set and cast it. A few days later he was back chasing cars with the leg in cast sticking straight out behind. He couldn't leave German Shepards walking down the road in front of the house alone....and frequently had to be stitched up after encounters.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife had a 3 legged cat named Tripod. I am not much for cats but that one was pretty cool.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

383 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 34 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,394
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.