Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I have come across a used/excellent condition Weatherby Mark V that has caught me eye, but have no experience with their rifles. This one has a stainless, fluted lightweight barrel, blued receiver, synthetic grey/black webbed stock and a Weatherby brand scope mounted on it (?). It's in .243, which would be okay for my purposes. When shouldered it fits me beautifully.

The general opinion I got from searching here is that most are satisfied with their Weatherbys. Anyone care to elaborate on their experience with these to help my decision making process?

Thanks,
Aaron

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have previously owned two mark V weatherby rifles,one on 257wby,and one in 300wby.Both were disappointments accuracy wise as despite a great deal of load development,neither was as accurate as my 700s costing half as much.On the other hand,I was very pleased with a vanguard that I also owned.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a 270wby Mark V and it shoots very well. It's about 15 yrs old it loves 130 gr and 150 gr bullets. It's a different animal than a 243 but it's a very accurate gun.

magnums the only way to shoot
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They are an excellent value. Everything on them is the best of the best. The only Mark 5's that need anything were the cheap synthetic ones that came with the super cheap plastic stock. I have yet to find one that isn't a tack driver. You will love that little fluted .243.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have yet to find one that isn't a tack driver.

Of course they are all tack drivers.The two that I owned would have easily driven tacks if you used them as a hammer.If as you say,everything on them is the best,and they are all tack drivers,why do the standard mark V rifles only come with a three shot 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee,while the sako rifles all come with a five shot 1" accuracy guarantee.The tikka rifles costing half as much come with a three shot 1" guarantee.Even the Vanguard MOA that costs less than a mark V comes with a better accuracy guarantee.

IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have yet to shoot a 3 shot or a 5 shot group at any animal. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have yet to shoot a 3 shot or a 5 shot group at any animal.

True,but it is nice to know what your gun is capable of before taking a shot at an animal.Not just at 100 yards,but at any distance that you would ever consider shooting at a game animal.Or are you saying that you have never fired three or five shot groups to see for yourself what your guns will do at various ranges?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
I have yet to find one that isn't a tack driver.

Of course they are all tack drivers.The two that I owned would have easily driven tacks if you used them as a hammer.If as you say,everything on them is the best,and they are all tack drivers,why do the standard mark V rifles only come with a three shot 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee,while the sako rifles all come with a five shot 1" accuracy guarantee.The tikka rifles costing half as much come with a three shot 1" guarantee.Even the Vanguard MOA that costs less than a mark V comes with a better accuracy guarantee.

That�s some funny stuff right there!!! Tikka???? I�m sure there is some previous owners of those rifles would have something to say on them!!! They might have a better accuracy guaranty but aren�t those the same rifles that were blowing up???

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have yet to shoot a 3 shot or a 5 shot group at any animal.

True,but it is nice to know what your gun is capable of before taking a shot at an animal.Not just at 100 yards,but at any distance that you would ever consider shooting at a game animal.Or are you saying that you have never fired three or five shot groups to see for yourself what your guns will do at various ranges?

It�s even nicer to know your gun isn�t going to exploded� That would cause a heck of a flinch not knowing if you gun might blow up when you pulled the trigger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There were some Tikka and Sako rifles shipped with defective barrels due to poor heat treatment by the barrel suppliers,but them again the weatherby Vanguard was recalled for safety issues with their bolts.However in both cases,the problems were quickly resolved,and there have been no issues since.The bottom line is that Weatherby does not have enough confidence in their own rifles to offer a better accuracy guarantee.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The bottom line is that Weatherby does not have enough confidence in their own rifles to offer a better accuracy guarantee.

Don�t say much for Remington does it�.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yes I have shot 3 shot groups at lasered 100,200,300,400,500 yds to see what my gun is doing at those ranges. I'm not saying that WBY is the most accurate gun in the world I was just posting my experince with a particular gun. However my Mark V shoots better than the 1.5 3 shot group that WBY claims out of the box. It took about 2 boxes to break the barrel in and has shot under 1" inch ever since at 100 yds. I have 2 M700's that shoot just as good but have had some work done to them. If you like a certain make of gun and it shoots good then what does it matter what everyone else thinks anyway.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Really a 1.5 inch group is not bad for a factory gun with factory ammo but it is nice when they shoot better from the factory which means less work to get them where you want them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don�t say much for Remington does it�.

Actually the one remington rifle that I paid as much for as I paid for the mark Vs came from the Remington Custom Shop.It was a 40xbks that came with an accuracy guarantee of 5 shots in 1/2".It also came with two test targets substantially better than that.The custom shop also offered a 1" accuracy guarantee on several other models.
I have also never owned a remington 700 or model 7 that would not shoot under the 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee provided by Weatherby.In fact nearly all would do better than 1" and did as good or better than the two mark Vs that I owned.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
jmt277

Well said!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 4 Weatherby's (240, 257, 270, and 30-378). The Mark V's all exhibited forearm pressure and do well after that's eliminated, and the barrels floated. The 4th is an Accumark, and befitting the name, is the most accurate "out of the box" unit I own. If the price is right, I'd take it home

Last edited by 1minute; 11/23/07.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that Stubble and I am fairly well in the same camp on this one.

Tis been my experience that of all the guns out there made that the Makr 5 is the last one I would bet on to shoot well right from the factory. By well I mean sub 1".

Heck each and every Marlin guide gun I've worked would whoop azz at 100 yds on all but 1 of the Mark 5's I've worked with.... sick

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really a 1.5 inch group is not bad for a factory gun with factory ammo but it is nice when they shoot better from the factory which means less work to get them where you want them.

The Mark V's all exhibited forearm pressure and do well after that's eliminated, and the barrels floated.

When you pay the price for a mark V,you shouldn't have to spend any more to get them to shoot better.I now choose to buy 700 actions and have then trued and lapped before adding a mcmillan stock and a premium aftermarket barrel.The cost is about the same as a factory mark V,but they are much more accurate,and have the balance and weight to suit me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck any Marlin, and or savage or Rem 710 will beat the heck out of 1.5" at 100 yds!!!

If I were building guns for a living I would be embarressed beyond belief to have a 1.5" guarantee.

Seriously 1.5 " is about as much of a joke as one can get.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Stubble

Any chance the Weatherby you owned a .300 Ultra lightwieght??

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.