Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I cooked the absolute best cottontail in my life recently that was coated in spiced Bobs Red Mill Paleo baking flour and baked for hours. I almost tossed the three rabbits in the woods but decided to give it one more shot and I am glad I did, they are thick this year and after my girlfriends garden and flour beds.

The question is I also like deep fried squirrel and rabbet but generally it's tough.

I can think of two option to tenderize, boil and pressure cook.

Any tips regarding one method over the other and suggestions for the time for each method?

TIA

Dave

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Braise don’t boil.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Crock pot

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Braise or crock pot before frying?

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always seasoned mine then browned mine in a pan or on the charcoal grill before braising in the oven in whatever braising liquid and vegetables I was cooking with them. I usually ladled the stew over rice, polenta or mashed potatoes

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I dredge my rabbit in egg yolk, coat with bread crumbs, and brown in about 4 tablespoons of butter.
Doesn’t take long.
Remove from skillet and set aside.
Pour a jar of gravy and cup of water in skillet, put rabbit back in.
Simmer for about 45 minutes with lid on.
You can even throw in some mushrooms if you wish.

This is a variation of a recipe for rabbit fricassee that I picked up off of a channel called Townsends.
It’s all 18th century colonial cooking.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Rabbit Confit

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
B
B
I routinely pressure cook squirrel before frying to tenderize it. Twenty minutes in our small pressure cooker usually renders even older, tougher squirrels tender enough to almost fall off the bone. Just make sure to add enough water to prevent it from boiling off and burning the meat. Once cooled enough to handle, I drop in seasoned flour then egg wash and back in the flour. A hot skillet with a little oil for two to three minutes per side to brown the them. Afterwards, I usually through some of the left over flour into the skillet and then add the broth from the pressure cooker to make a gravy. Don't know why that wouldn't work well for rabbit too, just might have to experiment with the time in the cooker.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just remember theres no fat on a rabbit...any recipe you need to add moisture or it's going to be dry ....time is also needed to brake down the muscle fibers to make it tender....

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Cooked up 3 rabbits last winter. Used an Insta-pot for an hour, deboned them, and then made rabbit stew. Was a big hit at work with my co-workers.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Late teens and twenties, I had a dutchoven for overnight hunting fishing trips usually with my brother, we'd shoot a couple rabbits on the way in and cook them in the pot with potatoes and onion.

One year deer season our BIL wanted to try hunting, he was insistent on bringing his own food, all canned goods, he planned every meal out. We were like... ok... 6 hour drive into a very rough spot, had to go into New Mexico and then back in Az just to access it... townie food was not an option.

Afternoon before opening day we shot some rabbits around camp, skinned and put them on ice. Every meal we'd offer our BIL some of our food, nope he was stubborn, just his canned stuff.

Second day I got the dutchoven out, quartered the rabbits, added the stuff and started it before the afternoon hunt. When we got back that evening brother and I ate our rabbit. BIL was struggling with his canned chili or whatever...

There's a half pot of rabbit there, might as well eat it... no... ok suit yourself... after awhile, well maybe just a bite... once he took a bite he wolfed it down.

We teased the chit out of him for years about that rabbit.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make sure the rabbit fresh. VERY fresh.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Laughin !!!

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I pressure cook mine in some seasonings for about 10 minutes and then flour them up and fry them for about another 15 to 20 minutes.

Yum Yum

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I ate a lot of Cottontails as a kid. My Mom just fried them and I really like them. When my boys were kids I would take them out to get a few Cottontails and I fried them just like my Mom did. For some reason they weren't as good.
The last one we shot, had fleas. Never shot one again!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You don't eat the skin.

The fleas stay on the skin.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I don't think I've seen a rabbit that didn't have flees. The good news is that you can have em skinned long before the flees realize it's time to bail.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Been to 2 wild rabbit dinners in the last few months. They crock pot first, then bread & fry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys have given me some great ideas for cooking rabbit. Haven't hunted rabbits for a while, but planned on doing a bit of it this spring. Last couple times we hunted rabbits we skinned them and cooked them over a campfire and they were excellent. My son still talks about it and I hope he can find time in his schedule to go with me this year..

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
We would fry Rabbit like southern fried Chicken or make a big pan of dressing like you would make for a Turkey, fill a big cake pan with dressing and Rabbit and Bake, getting hungry thinking about it, I would rather hunt Cotton Tails than Elk, more of them and a lot easier to pack out. just as good in a different way. YMMV Rio7

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,152
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.