Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
That don’t involve the turkeys. Mine would have to be morels followed closely by ramps.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
If the timing is right, my buddy's place in central Wisconsin can be full of Morels! And in certain spots, you know you're in ramps as their aroma is almost overpowering! Another thing, seen some incredible sunrises in the turkey woods. Then last year on a setup, a bunch of deer came by pretty nervous. The wind was in our favor, so they didn't smell us and we were trying to figure out why they were so nervous. All of a sudden they blew hard and were gone and then some coyotes came running up. A hard putt stopped the coyotes and my buddy Jerry took one of them out, 12ga 3-1/2" #4's rolled it at about 25 yards and then the rest were gone in the blink of an eye. Lots of neat "other" stuff out in the woods.

Last year on my property in SW Door County in Wisconsin, walking out in the dark, I did hear a sound I couldn't identify. And it was pretty creepy too! Lol!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The sunrises.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself. It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer

Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I look forward to hearing the call of the whip-poor-will each morning as the woods wakes up. Nature has a way of informing us as we enter into its world as it sleeps and slowly then begins opening its eyes and provides us with the first rays of light and sounds. I do not like to be late each morning as I pursue this ole bird....fear I will be missing out on what I consider is most important part of the day.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Trout season and digging ramps

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Quality time with friends and family

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The woods just feel different in the spring. The sunrises mixed with (hopefully) warmer weather along with new blooms of dogwoods, rhododendron, wild cherry, apple trees, tiger lily's, trilliums, and countless other flora and fauna are all part of what makes spring gobbler season my favorite.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 84Mtn_EER
....trilliums....

Agree.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself. It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Glad to see I'm not the only one that takes pictures of the new spring flowers out in the woods!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Glad to see I'm not the only one that takes pictures of the new spring flowers out in the woods!

And there was a gobbling turkey just 75 yards beyond it, couldn't help myself but stop and snap that picture as I was crawling along.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Winnie70
I look forward to hearing the call of the whip-poor-will each morning

I love that sound. The incessant call of the whip poor wills. And listening to the owls talk to one another. I get to the woods more than an hour before sunrise. I get out of my truck and prep and then just stand there for awhile, letting my eyes adjust to the darkness. I love it when the sky is clear and the stars are out and I can see the Milky Way, or satellites passing by. I can see to the north so far I can see aircraft going into the northern Virginia airports.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I enjoy the Wippoorwills a lot

Last edited by hanco; 02/28/23.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In the woods in the springtime hunting.

Also watching the prairie, swamps, and woods coming alive after a long winter.

Last edited by humdinger; 02/28/23.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 84Mtn_EER
The woods just feel different in the spring. The sunrises mixed with (hopefully) warmer weather along with new blooms of dogwoods, rhododendron, wild cherry, apple trees, tiger lily's, trilliums, and countless other flora and fauna are all part of what makes spring gobbler season my favorite.

^^^^^^
Yep

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That first gobble in the morning!
The first sight of a fan or bobbing white head.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
The redbirds and owls calling at the break of dawn. Finding a morel patch is always a added treat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winnie70
I look forward to hearing the call of the whip-poor-will each morning as the woods wakes up. Nature has a way of informing us as we enter into its world as it sleeps and slowly then begins opening its eyes and provides us with the first rays of light and sounds. I do not like to be late each morning as I pursue this ole bird....fear I will be missing out on what I consider is most important part of the day.
We used to have tons of those things.

Rarely hear them any more. In fact I honestly don't remember the last time I heard one.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Spending time with my hunting buddy and watching the woods come alive

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Hate them dang Wippoorwills, the set in a tree above my tent and keep me awake all night . When I get to a place where I can hear and am waiting for the first gobble, you guessed it. Dang Wippoorwills going to town so loud you can not hear squat.

But do enjoy having a gobbler cut me off 1/2 way through my call. Then hear the drumming, and wonder where he is. Then you see the fan. Will not be long

Don't gobble at me
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 1minute, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.