Print Thread
Hop To
B
bh444 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I have a pair of Swarovski CLs and I have run out of adjustment.Just wondering if it is an adjustment issue or my vision.I do wear glasses but not when using the CLs.I was thinking of sending them in for service but it could be me not the bins.I wear glasses mostly for driving (can't make out the road signs)otherwise I usually don't use them all the time.
The view is still very good but I know it can be better.
Should I be wearing glasses while viewing?I always thought bins were just a large set of glasses and could compensate vision.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I had the same problem with my right eye with a pair of Meopta binos. The meoptas ran out of adjustment travel just as the object was starting to focus, two of my other binos could get the subject in focus, but just barely.

I had a cataract operation and lens replacement, now I can focus the binoculars with far less adjustment travel.

So, maybe its your eye or eyes.

B
bh444 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Last time(first time) I got glasses(for DL renewal) about 5yrs ago,they said no cataracts.I really like using the eyecups that's why I never tried with glasses.
I suppose I could just drag my lazy arse and pull them out of the safe and try for myself.
Contacts are out of the question unless they were bifocal,and that would drive me crazy er

Last edited by bh444; 03/01/23.

bh444
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yes, you should wear glasses while viewing.

B
bh444 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
That's not going to happen.I tried ,not enough eye relief.

Better call Doug.

bh444
IC B2

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Because of eye relief on several very good binoculars, I always removed my glasses to use the binocular. I finally got tired of this (really a bad deal when sizing up game), and use only binoculars with long eye relief that will accommodate my glasses.

In buying a new binocular, eye relief is my number one criteria. I am very happy with the two I now have and use, a Leica Noctivid 10x42 and a Swarovski EL 8x32.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bh444

Better call Doug.

Yep, when I'm looking for something I always check Cameraland first.

Like GF1 mentioned, if you're wearing glasses, eye relief should be one of the biggest factors in bino choice. The quality of the glass, color, all the other stuff...really doesn't matter if they are hard to use. When wearing glasses, I love the Meopta 7x42's with 20mm eye relief. When wearing contacts, I love the Meopta 8x32's with 16mm eye relief. I can use the 8x32's with glasses but not with the ease of view that the 7x42's have.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have the same problem. All my riflescopes are turned in as far as they will go. It’s your eyes, not the optics.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Better call Doug.

Well then you are not going to get 20/20 out of the binos....and Doug can't fix it..

Eye glasses give you best correctable vision....Bino's with glasses, do the same. Without your glasses you don't have the best vision and binos only make it bigger. The further you are from normal, the more noticeable it will be.

Last edited by battue; 03/03/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a pair of Swarovski CLs and I have run out of adjustment.Just wondering if it is an adjustment issue or my vision.I do wear glasses but not when using the CLs.I was thinking of sending them in for service but it could be me not the bins.I wear glasses mostly for driving (can't make out the road signs)otherwise I usually don't use them all the time.
The view is still very good but I know it can be better.
Should I be wearing glasses while viewing?I always thought bins were just a large set of glasses and could compensate vision.

It seems that your binoculars just lack enough adjustment for your uncorrected vision (i.e. when not wearing glasses). Some people call it focus past infinity, or overtravel, or overdrive. That is, past infinity for corrected vision.

My favorite binocular is +4/-4, which seems to be on the lower end of the range, and are almost enough for me without glasses or contacts. However, I have owned several other binoculars with a wider range, and could use them fine without glasses.

I have heard that manufacturers can make adjustments to extend the range farther past infinity, at the expense of the other end. But I have no idea if that is actually possible.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How would the bino manufacturers correct for multiple different astigmatisms?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
How would the bino manufacturers correct for multiple different astigmatisms?

Nobody mentioned astigmatism, except for you.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correct and the reason binos are not a large set of glasses as the OP may have thought.

And also why the more your eyesight deviates from normal, the less a bino will give the same clarity with and without glasses.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jezus Fhuqk...simply shop for diopter corrections,that fit your blinkers. Opt 5/5,you Fhuqktards. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, excellent info for those that can be corrected to 20/20. (And need no spherical or axis correction.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Some people call it focus past infinity, or overtravel, or overdrive. That is, past infinity for corrected vision.

It's pretty simple.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/04/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You also need to take the "dioptric range" with a grain of salt. It may not meet the power on your RX.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/04/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.