-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone use one? I've got miles of old black wire 3 strand fences. Looks like just the thing to put a little tension in them without over stretching and breaking the wire. But at $100 I'd like to hear from folks who have used them.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Uh no. I have one of the old ratchet wire stretchers
that has the toothy cams in each end that does
me just fine. I can twist up the slack, or cut it out
and use crimp sleeves, or if there's enough slack
I can cut it and splice/twist it back together and
back the ratchet off.
I think they're probably still around 35-50 dollars
at most farm stores and coops
Just me- I'm not spending a hundred bucks for
something like that

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If the wire isn't brittle, you can tension it with clips like these...

https://www.amazon.com/Zhengmy-Tightener-Tighteners-Tensioner-Stretcher/dp/B0BGGRM72P/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QF1LC965L2X3&keywords=fence+tightener+tool&qid=1677762500&sprefix=fence+ti%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-2

How they work.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one and have used it a lot. I think it's a great tool. Especially in places you have to carry everything in by hand.

If the wire you're tightening is real brittle, it can break when you're twisting it tight. In that case a golden rod stretcher and the crimp sleeves are a better way. But that's the wire that's gonna break anyway the first time something hits it hard.

I bought a roll of barbless cable (two wires like without the barbs) and use it for patching. Can precut it to length and carry it in your pocket if you want. Of course regular barb wire works but it doesn't fit in a pocket as well.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've been using the twisted barbless for repairs for 40 years. Only splice with barbed when the new repair is quite long. I'll run into broken wire with several old splices in a stretch, and often cut them out and put in a new length of wire.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Close to 50 years ago my dad told me, "Son, fencing is an every other generation chore. I'm sorry, it's your turn."

Lol, grandpa's fences are needing some attention.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I'm the old generation now. Farm is rented out, but I like days in the hills. And you can't be in the country without finding a broke or loose wire on 90 year old fences, so I always carry fencing tools and supplies. Hated the job as a kid, kind of like it now that I can fence at my own pace on nice days instead of "well son, it's too wet or windy to summerfallow so we might as well go around the north pasture."

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
I use one and like the others said, it works great if the wire is not too rusty and brittle. I also use slick wire for repairs on old barbed wire fences.

I’m gradually replacing all of my old fences. Im putting in new posts and either 6 strands of Gaucho high tensile barbed wire or high tensile fixed knot wire. On new high tensile wire I use Gripples and use them for repairs too. You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ever since I Googled Gripples, because I had no idea what they were or how they were used, Amazon has showed me a whole line of fence fixing tools and gadgets.

Funny how that works.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Ever since I Googled Gripples, because I had no idea what they were or how they were used, Amazon has showed me a whole line of fence fixing tools and gadgets.

Funny how that works.

Gripples are the trick. I put in this section of new fence along the creek about three years ago and you can still pick a tune on the wire. It’s still that tight.

Notice the Gripple T-Clips at the corner posts instead of wrapping and twisting the wire.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We put in a smooth, heavy gauge, high tensle strength fence, five strands. Got to reading about it from Australia and for ten years it has been satisfactory. Spring tensioners and ratchets that keep 250 pounds constant pressure per strand. Does require stout corners and gate posts.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just an update to an old thread of mine. Didn't buy one last year, but got a Texas fence fixer this winter. Took it out and tried it this weekend. I'm impressed. Used both twisted barbless and old, but decent barbed from a fence we rolled up for the repair wire. Worked best with the older barbed wire, it wasn't as stiff. It will ride in the pickup, along with sone pre-cut repair pieces, with the rest of the fence repair tools.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 3,253 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.