Print Thread
Hop To
V
valad Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I had a box of Nosler .223 Rem brass and necks and flash hole appear to be not off so I loaded CCI 450 intending to use TAC.
When I load 50 of the brass I got 5 of the brass with CCI 450 shear and I did have to use a little force.
The 5 brass when set up on a flat surface are not straight and you can see the shear on one side (this makes me think they are/were installed not straight).
I had this happen to CCI 400 too probably 5 years ago or so with WIN brass. But this is nosler brass and NEW.

BTW I never had this happen with a Rem 7 1/2 or Win small rifle brass. Appears to only happen with the CCI 400/450 primers.

So if this Nosler brass with the sheared CCI 450 is fired would not give good accuracy because its not flushed. Should I just knock this primer and try again?
And if its the brass ditch it?
Obviously this is new Nosler brass but losing only 5% is not too bad?
I doubt the flash hole uniformer would fix this because it appears to be on the side of the primer but who knows.

What should be done in this case?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can use a chamfer tool to lightly dress the mouth of the primer pocket. Primers will be easier to start straight.

Last edited by mathman; 03/02/23. Reason: added text
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
You can use a chamfer tool to lightly dress the mouth of the primer pocket. Primers will be easier to start straight.

Never had that issue with early Nosler in 223 but it wasn’t made by Nosler. I would give it a light touch with a crimp removal tool or a chamfer tool either one will get it done.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman

I always do that when I put 223 brass into service... whether NEW or range pick up brass...

eliminates a lot of problems right from the start...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree with Swifty. The old Nosler brass was really good. The last box I bought was garbage. I won’t be buying again! I alway heard a rumor that norma was making it back then, but never could validate it. Maybe now?

Last edited by Quartermaster; 03/29/23.

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It has been my experience so far that Nosler brass is nowhere near as good as it's pricepoint would lead you to believe

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
It has been my experience so far that Nosler brass is nowhere near as good as it's pricepoint would lead you to believe

NOTHING with Nosler's name is worth what they are asking for it right now, nor has it been since Biden got into office..
Its like they have hired some Mexican Drug Cartel to run their marketing dept, or they have been taken over by a Mexican Drug Cartel....

Everything is Drug Dealer Pricing...and Shooters Pro Shop is Mexican Drug Dealer Wholesale Pricing...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I would agree with you .. assuming alternatives are available. Sometimes when Nosler brass at Nosler price is the difference between your gun shooting and your gun being a paperweight, Nosler suddenly looks attractive indeed. That has happened to me with both .257 Roberts and .204 Ruger at different times in the past. Probably was true for some folks for .300 RUM since Nosler was the only available brass for it for a while .. even at $4/case it is better than a gun that is out of action.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Seafire

NOTHING with Nosler's name is worth what they are asking for it right now, nor has it been since Biden got into office..
Its like they have hired some Mexican Drug Cartel to run their marketing dept, or they have been taken over by a Mexican Drug Cartel....

Everything is Drug Dealer Pricing...and Shooters Pro Shop is Mexican Drug Dealer Wholesale Pricing...

LOL - pretty much my thoughts on them as well. My take is when they acquired Silver State Armory & started producing their own brass is when it went to hell.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't think much of nosler brass myself.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 73 invisible), 2,986 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,679
Posts18,534,262
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.