Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Well this is scary

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I guess there was a couple 2.5 shakers in Durham area earlier this week.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Oroville lake was built on a fault line.
I don’t trust that damn dam one bit.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm sure Frank Hoogerbeets knows more than I do...hell, anybody does...but USGS has been telling us for years that low earthquake activity is the red flag that the big one is coming, but this last year or more we have had a lot of little quakes, which the geo plate tectonics guys tell us is good...low level, stress relief as the Pacific and Continental plate grind against each other. I don't know anybody who actually lists this stuff in their top 100 things to worry about though...not like you can do anything but store water and food, which we all do anyway.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Well this is scary

We have this canyon here in so. Idaho, over 400' deep in some places. There are lots of houses built right on the rim. We've have some minor shakers since this area was settled but never a big one. If we ever get the big one, a bunch of houses are going down as big rocks shake loose from the rim. A 100k pound house sitting on a rock isn't going to slow it down much.

[Linked Image from img1.wsimg.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Water content is what counts. Here's a link to an interactive map showing the amount of water in the snow across the western states. WATER EQUIVALENT

This is a big improvement over the last few years.

90 - 109% my azz!
That's what they're showing here, and it's BS.
We've had 4 snows of less than an inch, and 1 snow of 3". None very wet.
That's WAY below normal for here.
My snowplows are getting rusty. frown
They have snow survey sites set up all over the place that are read by satellite. They've been there for years. I don't know if you have any in your area. Here's a link to today's Snotel map for NM. They update it daily. SNOTEL MAP

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Soda Springs near Donner Summit is the 4th heaviest snowfall area in the US, and it's buried this year. I had handled homeowners' claims there, where the the exterior walls of houses and large cabins collapsed inward from snow pressure.

I had a call last week from a company I did work for years ago, asking if I would do their work; they have similar claims right now. They didn't pay me enough back then, and they re-learned that again. GTH to all insurance companies.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by FatCity67

What a Gigantic A Hole
Experimented when people told him he was Crazy and then the Gaul of him digging irrigation ditch's to help his Neighbor Farmers.

He Can Not Do This In Commyfornia.

He is supposed to keep all that water for him self and if he can not use it he is to let it go all the way to the Ocean

Commyfornian's are all big A Holes that way.

We can not have this kind of guy in this State
HE MUST GO.

For the Dock Weasels that do not get Sarcasm
This is Sarcasm

Not all Commyfornian's are bad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 160user
Maybe you Western folks won't be smoked in all summer.

That would be a blessing.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some people have no clue that their expensive SUV can get them into more trouble than getting them out of it.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/ma...-mountains-after-suv-gets-stuck-in-snow/

I'll bet that airlift rescue cost that dude a whole pocket full of coins. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by 160user
Maybe you Western folks won't be smoked in all summer.

That would be a blessing.
Unfortunately, all this snow and moisture just means more growth of fire prone grasses and brush, especially in fire prone portions of the State. If it gets really dry, as it usually does (if not this year, then next) it will make for good starter fuel load.

Yipppee..............it's California.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our ski resorts are right at 600 inches as of today. We have another storm to hit tonight and continue with sporadic snow through Monday. Another 100 inches is not out of the realm of possibility this year. By way of water content, about 3/4 of Utah is above 150% of average, with some areas 200%. We are pre-emptively releasing water from some reservoirs to avoid overflowing them when the melt comes. All of our reservoirs should fill this year, than goodness. Many were down to 15% last summer. Lake Powell is so low that they came within a whisker of shutting down the hydroelectric generators.
It will take two or three more years like this to refill the deep aquifers, but at least we'll have water to drink this summer. And to fish in!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "street" a relative lives on in June Lake, CA.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If pics were easier for my pea brain I’d post them, but as of yesterday mammoth was out of diesel in town and the hwy has been closed all week. Friends are making $$ while they can doing snow removal. We’ve been cleaning up since last Friday and I heard another is coming in a week or so reminds me of 05, dad of 1969.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I had handled homeowners' claims there, where the the exterior walls of houses and large cabins collapsed inward from snow pressure.

Weird. Any idea how that works? Was the snow piled up by machines? I can't picture the mechanics of falling/blowing snow doing that.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by grouseman
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I had handled homeowners' claims there, where the the exterior walls of houses and large cabins collapsed inward from snow pressure.

Weird. Any idea how that works? Was the snow piled up by machines? I can't picture the mechanics of falling/blowing snow doing that.

There is a reason they call it "Sierra Cement"

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by buffybr
Fifty years ago, I was a ski instructor at Steamboat Ski Area in Colorado. Our Ski School also had two husband and wife instructors that had previously taught at Mammoth Mountain Ski Area in California. Where most ski areas report their snowfalls in inches, they said Mammoth reported their snowfalls in feet. They also said that after many large snowstorms, Mammoth would have to use snow tractors to plow a path so the chairs on the lifts wouldn't drag in the snow.

I was skiing in Steamboat in the winter of '76 and '77. I remember being told about the massive snowfalls at Mammoth.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Don’t worry though, even with all the record snow and rain, Newsom will still declare a CA drought emergency starting this July.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Don’t worry though, even with all the record snow and rain, Newsom will still declare a CA drought emergency starting this July.
The sad thing, and it can't be blamed on Gavin, it may still turn into a drought situation here.

Happened last year when we had 100%+ in almost all snow areas going into the spring. Then it stopped storming. Our area alone was at about 3/4 normal moisture for the water year, all of about 9".

We've been in drought so long it may take 2 or 3 seasons of good snow/rain to get out of it..................

But, that's California. Nothing I haven't seen in 60 years or so.

In it is contentment

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

199 members (308xray, 300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 32 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.