-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I personally believe that things will not get much better in the ammo and component arenas until we get chiner joe out of orifice and and true pro 2A conservative into office. With all the corruption, there's little chance of that happening, though I remain hopeful.

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/26/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Bill_K
Thanks for posting. Interesting about big manufacturers component swapping

That has been happening for decades, though on a lesser scale--and when brass was sold to another company, it was head-stamped for the other company.

Sometimes we don't wait for "a" brass company to headstamp with our headstamp. We take it "as is". Get calls and email all the time about that.

Alan

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I don't know how this plays out in the US, but I checked out some of the Canadian online component suppliers, looking for "old timey" brass availability. A five minute look showed five older cartridges listed in stock at several stores. Bullets didn't seem to be a problem, except for 311s.

7.62x54r
303 British
300 Savage
8x57 Mauser
6.5x55mm

I realize that these cartridges are not attractive to most shooters. Almost everyone is after the newer stuff. But it might be reason to load for an older rifle, if you have one in your gun safe collecting dust. Unless you are out of primers too. frown

It also might be a reason to rebarrel an older rifle like a 303 British, 8x57 or 7.2x54r with a more popular barrel diameter like .308. I am reminded of that old expression, when life hands you lemons, make lemonade! Projects are always fun.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
was a very good read thanks Steve for posting the article . there is another hoarding thing going on about having lots of ammo i have been hearing : people are storing ammo in case of a revolution or a take over in America . many Americans feel a real threat is coming. what has and is happening in the Whitehouse has many people very concern and preparing.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=405wcf]
The other thing that happened during that era was that many companies increased production capacity, of everything from components to AR-15s. This meant building new buildings, and buying new equipment. They then got burned when demand dropped off considerably.

Once you create the beast you have to keep feeding it.

So many do not understand this simple fact if business.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Thanks everyone. McKean did a good job with this.

Primers seem to be the biggest problem, no matter where you live. I cannot remember who posted about the new primer plant being built a while back, but from my perspective this has been the weak link for many years - even before this recent shortage.

From the article,

“If we could solve the primer shortage, we could solve the ammunition shortage,” says Kevin Kilpatrick of Black Hills Shooter Supply, one of the nation’s biggest reloading component distributors. But given regulatory headwinds in the U.S., “trying to site a primer manufacturing facility is like trying to put a high-security prison next to an elementary school.”

That might be so, but Fiocchi, the Italian ammunition manufacturer, announced in November that it is building a $41 million primer manufacturing facility in Little Rock, Arkansas.
I live approximately 45 north east of Little Rock, Arkansas. There is a plant being built near Des Arc, Arkansas, which is rumored to be a primer plant. I do know that there is being a plant of some kind being built, and I know that there are several buildings spaced some distance apart with dirt embankments around them. I have not driven past them in a while to check on the progress, as it is in a very rural area, and not on my regular travel routes. I also know that they built extra power lines to the site. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by milespatton
I live approximately 45 north east of Little Rock, Arkansas. There is a plant being built near Des Arc, Arkansas, which is rumored to be a primer plant. I do know that there is being a plant of some kind being built, and I know that there are several buildings spaced some distance apart with dirt embankments around them. I have not driven past them in a while to check on the progress, as it is in a very rural area, and not on my regular travel routes. I also know that they built extra power lines to the site. miles

That’s probably the place that was referred to. If so, their product will be in huge demand!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good read and informative insights to this current situation we are experiencing. Thanks guys!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken_L
My question to the manufacturers is why are the prices of rounds and components almost twice as much as inflation? Honestly, I feel like the manufacturers take advantage of these times to rip us off as much as possible. In 2017 I could buy a case of shotgun shells for $50.00 shipped to my house. Those same shells are now $100 but by inflation numbers those shells should really be $61.03. I know it's supply and demand but I really think it's take advantage of them as much as possible and for as long as possible. The industry does more to hurt the shooting sports as they do to so called promote them.

Because the cost of materials those components are made of have increased more than inflation. Then there is the labor cost of extracting, shipping and manufacturing the components, and then turning it into ammunition. In some cases those costs have increased significantly more than the inflation rate.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

That's Fiocchi's new plant.

The thing is we can have all the manufacturing facilities in the world but there is still the demand for the raw materials and of the processing those components are made from.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 03/03/23.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Thanks everyone. McKean did a good job with this.

Primers seem to be the biggest problem, no matter where you live. I cannot remember who posted about the new primer plant being built a while back, but from my perspective this has been the weak link for many years - even before this recent shortage.

From the article,

“If we could solve the primer shortage, we could solve the ammunition shortage,” says Kevin Kilpatrick of Black Hills Shooter Supply, one of the nation’s biggest reloading component distributors. But given regulatory headwinds in the U.S., “trying to site a primer manufacturing facility is like trying to put a high-security prison next to an elementary school.”

That might be so, but Fiocchi, the Italian ammunition manufacturer, announced in November that it is building a $41 million primer manufacturing facility in Little Rock, Arkansas.

Miles, that is D&M Holdings primer facility they are making. I found out just this week, a family member of mine runs their CAD programming. He said they have already tested their primers and said they are just as good or better than CCI ones they claim.
https://www.dmholding.com/turnkey-solutions/primer-manufacturing/

Last edited by Hudge; 03/24/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

That's Fiocchi's new plant.

The thing is we can have all the manufacturing facilities in the world but there is still the demand for the raw materials and of the processing those components are made from.

The Des Arc one is not Fiocchi’s plant. That one is going in Little Rock at the River Port area I believe.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Target shotgun shells are showing up in numbers not seen in recent years and the price has dropped. What was $100 a flat is now in the $79 range. Place that would only sell three flats at a time, recently sold me 15.

Shotgun powder is also becoming more available.

Things are getting better....

Last edited by battue; 03/24/23.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hudge,
Thanks for the link. Interesting info. Some extra capacity in the system will be welcome

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Hudge,
Thanks for the link. Interesting info. Some extra capacity in the system will be welcome

It was badly needed, not only for reloaders, but for ammunition manufacturers as well. You can have tons of smokeless propellant, cases and bullets, but if you don't have the primers, it's all for naught.

I guess it's a regional thing, based on who gets resupplied first, but up here, we are seeing propellants and bullets reappearing on the shelves - but still waiting on the primers. frown

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Steve,

Is there ANY primer manufacturer in Canada?

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
was a very good read thanks Steve for posting the article . there is another hoarding thing going on about having lots of ammo i have been hearing : people are storing ammo in case of a revolution or a take over in America . many Americans feel a real threat is coming. what has and is happening in the Whitehouse has many people very concern and preparing.
Save it for the Hunters Campfire. I come here to get away from that

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Steve,

Is there ANY primer manufacturer in Canada?

John

No. I have a few pages in a book I am finishing that speaks about the state of ammunition manufacturing in Canada. The short of it is, we got next to nothing.

The powder and cartridge manufacturing might be done here, but IVI is owned by GD, a US concern. Supplies come from the US. It is unusual, to me at least, that we cannot supply SAA to our own army, much less civilian users.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Hudge,

Bob,

I asked my family member if they plan to sale them commercially and to us as reloaders . He said that is the goal once they meet their demands. I had not heard of this company until they bought out a heat and air business who the owners attend my mom’s church. When I asked a family member what was going on at the place miles mentioned, that is when I found out the other family member was working for them and got a run down of things. Evidently the owner used to work for Remington, then Sig and quit thinking he could do better. Maybe he does in the near future.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,270 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.