-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In late July of 2015, four of us flew to Kodiak Island for a fishing charter. We flew in on Thursday and we supposed to fly out the next Tuesday.
Monday, we went out to Chiniak Bay on 8 foot seas and limited out on king salmon in one hour! THAT was an awesome experience I'll NEVER forget! LOL!
We were scheduled to fly out Tuesday morning.
Flights canceled due to fog.
Wednesday, flight canceled due to fog.
Thursday, Friday all cancelled.
We went to a restaurant to eat when a local told the story about Kodiak in WWII.

He said there were probably 500 or less military men on Kodiak.
Little did they know, because of the fog, that a Japanese invasion force of several thousand soldiers had anchored just off Kodiak.
Because the fog was so heavy and the Japanese had no intel on American military strength, they decided not to invade until they could gather better intelligence.
But the fog persisted and the Japanese naval officers resisted.
After 12 days of relentless, heavy fog, the army commanders told the naval commanders that their men had eaten all their invasion provisions and were working on the naval food supplies which were becoming extremely low.
The decision was made to weigh anchor and return to
Japan.
On day thirteen, after the Japanese had sailed away, the sun broke through to a gloriously bright, clear, sunny day!

This was the story related to us. How true it is, I can't say. I wasn't there! LOL!
But I do know we spent an extra 6 days on Kodiak Island due to fog!I

Any WWII geeks got any other data?

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 03/02/23.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Things we are taught or simply absorb into our brains from propaganda from every angle are so often lies. Whether it's "history" or movies or what little Johnny heard Uncle Leonard say, we tend to swallow it whole. As George Carlin so eloquently stated, an informed populace is "not in their interest." "Them-They" are the pronouns we should suspect lurking beneath every heroic and solemn expression of why mass murder is so humane and essential to saving lives and ending horrific suffering. Why so many wars, of no threat to US interests, must be fought to save something, "Democracy" most often, is rarely questioned. One holy word to kill and die for and bleed money and endless debt to stateless banking dynasties that profit so richly from sanctimonious butchery and centralized control. Establishing Communism world wide, while killing off strong nationalist aspirations, is never mentioned as the real goal of WWII. But that was the result.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rainshot
Yes some hid out in caves on many islands for years after the war. The propaganda against American soldiers was so successful it caused many civilians on Saipan to commit suicide rather than face American capture. The poor citizens of those islands were devastated being caught between two nations fighting in their land.
I’m thinking I recall one that was finally captured or gave up in the early 1970s. I was pretty young, but IIRC, he and an interpreter appeared on Tje Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. The guy had been living on lizards and bugs better than 2&1/2 decades!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Whilst in Japan I met a university student that was very upset about the nuking of Japan. He toldebthay in Japan they had a saying followed by something I didn't quite catch. I should have tried better to understand but I simply followed up with in America we have a saying: paybacks are a batch.

Bb

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Originally Posted by rainshot
Yes some hid out in caves on many islands for years after the war. The propaganda against American soldiers was so successful it caused many civilians on Saipan to commit suicide rather than face American capture. The poor citizens of those islands were devastated being caught between two nations fighting in their land.
I’m thinking I recall one that was finally captured or gave up in the early 1970s. I was pretty young, but IIRC, he and an interpreter appeared on Tje Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. The guy had been living on lizards and bugs better than 2&1/2 decades!
7mm

IIRC, and it's the same guy, he wasn't captured. They found or contacted his former commander, who informed him the war was over, and ordered him to come in. Nit-picking, maybe, but I would not consider that surrender - just an end to his military career. More like retirement.

I wonder if he got back-pay?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My father enlisted in the US Navy prior to Pearl Harbor. Spent the entirety of WW2 in the European Theater on a destroyer doing convoy and anti-submarine duty. Heavily involved in the Italian Anzio Landing giving close in fire support to US Troops.

Following the German surrender his ship was sent through the Panama Canal to Seattle to have additional Anti-Aircraft Batteries fitted in anticipation of supporting the Japan invasion and Kamakazie attacks. He was was on Tinnian in the Pacific when Japan surrendered.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Japan had virtually no gas or oil. They already had issues with putting planes in the air. Their factories were rubble. They had no distribution system still working. They had little food. An invasion would have been costly, but not as much as some think. We had all the time in the world. Japan did not.

Same for Iwo Jima and Okinawa and look what it still cost in lives. The invasion of the Jap mainland would have cost millions of lives on both sides. To think otherwise demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the Japanese culture and mindset...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Japan, and the Minister of War Tojo, were imbued with Bushido. The Way of the Warrior. This went back a thousand years, to the days of the Samurai. Bushido dictated that you fought to the death. Surrender was for cowards and was unthinkable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad was in ETO .. had enough points to get home early.
But was still in the service.
Waiting for orders to go to the Pacific.
Two bombs ended it and I remember him saying how happy he was ..........
Me too.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well I am 1 of many here who owe there very existence to the United States dropping the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. My dad was on a boat also in the Pacific training for the invasion of Japan. He told me alot of Americans survived because of the bombs. Alot more than if the invasion would have been necessary. People who have 20/20 hindsight bad mouthing the bombs are today's liberals fug them...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dave7mm
My dad was in ETO .. had enough points to get home early.
But was still in the service.
Waiting for orders to go to the Pacific.
Two bombs ended it and I remember him saying how happy he was ..........
Me too.

dave
Mine too. He was waiting, after he had run the length of Europe without a scratch.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Japan was also training for the invasion. They didn't have weapons so they were training hordes of civilians to carry out mass attacks with clubs and garden tools. They hoped to overrun the invaders with overwhelming suicide charges. The deaths on both sides would have been incredible.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Still, it must have been lonesome for Harry Truman in the Rose Garden.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
More on the Jap fuel situation.
when it became clear that victory could not be obtained in the Philippines, a dozen tankers at the Borneo oil fields were ordered topped off with all the refined fuel they could carry, them rushed north before US air power choked off the shipping routes to the home islands.
This refined fuel formed a secret reserve, held back from training and tactical needs, to be used solely for kamikaze operations defending Japan itself.
D M Giangreco, pg 75 of Hell To Pay.
As I said, they had 3 times the fuel we had estimated, all set aside for kamikazes targeting troop transports!
From the sound of things, the allies were fixing to lose hundreds of thousands just getting a toe hold on Kyūshū.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My dad was in the navy during WW2 on an ammunition ship. Found an old diary he kept of his service during the war. They had been sitting off the coast of Japan for about ten days. Ammunition ships were usually several miles away from the main fleet for obvious reasons. Around midnight they heard guns going off and lots of noise. Figured they would soon know why they were there. Diary said the “old man” came on the radio and said Japan had just surrendered.
He credits Truman with saving thousands of American lives. But yes, it must have been very lonesome for Truman the day he made that decision.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
87 pages into this so far. I'll give the author credit for excellent research but at times the detailed lists of the Japanese order of battle or accounts of the minutiae of meetings of high level government officials et al make parts of the book about as scintillating to read as a company's annual report.

But then there are little gems to be picked out to interest a gun nut, like the fact that the 20mm Oerlikons, which were the champion plane killers against normal bombing or torpedo aircraft, weren't very effective against the kamikazes since they would shoot the plane down or kill the pilot but wouldn't necessarily alter its trajectory into a ship. The 40mm Bofors was much better since it would blow the aircraft apart but the 3 inch/50 (76 mm cannon firing 45-50 rounds per minute) was the real kamikaze killer, being as effective as 2 to 5 quad mounted 40mm Bofors. There was a last minute rush to replace as many Bofors mounts with the 3 inch/50 auto loaded cannons as possible.

As noted already, while the Japanese had been cut off from their oil and raw material sources, they had hoarded a plentiful enough strategic reserve of aviation gas to fuel the 10,000 planes available to use as kamikazes. They had also honed their tactics in the Phillipines and Okinawa, using hills and valleys to hide the approaching planes from radar until the last minute, then appearing without warning to launch their attacks. Ships at sea might have had several minutes to prepare but those ships right off the invasion beaches would be sitting ducks.

The other takeaway so far is how well the Japanese read our intent even without good intelligence. They guessed very correctly when we'd attack and exactly where we'd attack and in what strength, right down to the specific invasion beaches, and constructed defenses and reinforced those areas accordingly. They still had some 5 million equipped soldiers in the home islands, including veteran divisions brought over from China. I get the impression that the initial landings could have made Omaha beach seem like a walk in the park.

Definitely an interesting book overall, good reading on these rainy late winter days.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My grandfather was on the Czechoslovakian border when Germany finally quit. He was sent home immediately, thinking he was getting discharged. When he got to port (never told me which one) he was immediately put on a train to the West coast and put on a ship headed to Japan. Imagine the feeling of getting back to the States and not even being allowed to visit home for a couple weeks. He was on the ship when the Japs surrendered. This time he was discharged. Oddly enough, he missed Army life and rejoined and went to Japan as part of the occupation. He did 30 years, fought in Korea and Vietnam. He apparently had a good time in Vietnam judging by the pictures we found in a footlocker after he died. Was a Command Sgt Major when he retired and probably not a enjoyable one to be around

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No one who was in the Pacific theater and potentially a part of the planned invasion of the Japanese island thought nukes were a bad idea...including my Dad. I'll honor their memory and their judgment by believing they were correct. 👍

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They had their war machine factories in the middle of huge residential areas. Some months before the A-bombs, we firebombed Tokyo factories that also burned the surrounding residential areas killing an estimated 100k people and leaving a million homeless. If they hadn't surrendered, how many times would we have had to repeat that in Tokyo and other industrial cities? The Japanese death toll would have been unbelievable. Yes, the nukes saved lives, maybe millions of them.

30 seconds over Tokyo

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
No one who was in the Pacific theater and potentially a part of the planned invasion of the Japanese island thought nukes were a bad idea...including my Dad. I'll honor their memory and their judgment by believing they were correct. 👍

This. There is always a messy after the fact afterbirth.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 67 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.