Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm looking for a recommendation on a red (or green) dot to go on a Winchester 94 Big Bore in .375 Win. I ordered a Docter/Fastfire Standard mounting plate from Turnbull that replaces the rear sight. From what I have found, my options are a Burris FF3 or FF4, Vortex Viper or Venom, Crimson Trace RAD (Available in Green). Does anyone have experience with these or others mounted on a moderately recoiling rifle? Thank you in advance.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think it's a useful set-up. I put an FF3 red dot on a rifle for close-in woods hunting. Target acquisition can be very fast and positive. A drawback is that the sight doesn't help identify twigs or branches in between the muzzle and the target, though.

I have a Fastfire 3 and Fastfire 4, latter as yet unused. I believe I'll like the enhanced reticle options, compared to the FF3 and perhaps for running shots. The FF3 single dot seemed quite sufficient for our typical hunting, though, especially since I actually don't usually take running shots.

All that said... I did replace the FF3 with a low power scope afterwards... because of that "twigs in between" issue. Don't much care for the additional weight or clutter, but then again that scope was just hanging around looking for a job to do, so...

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 03/03/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could use a red dot with a flip over magnifier.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
I think it's a useful set-up. I put an FF3 red dot on a rifle for close-in woods hunting. Target acquisition can be very fast and positive. A drawback is that the sight doesn't help identify twigs or branches in between the muzzle and the target, though.

I have a Fastfire 3 and Fastfire 4, latter as yet unused. I believe I'll like the enhanced reticle options, compared to the FF3 and perhaps for running shots. The FF3 single dot seemed quite sufficient for our typical hunting, though, especially since I actually don't usually take running shots.

All that said... I did replace the FF3 with a low power scope afterwards... because of that "twigs in between" issue. Don't much care for the additional weight or clutter, but then again that scope was just hanging around looking for a job to do, so...

-Chris
Thanks for the reply. This is a top eject and I have no intention of scoping it so twigs and stuff is something I'll just have to deal with.

Originally Posted by Armednfree
You could use a red dot with a flip over magnifier.
I could do that but that would be goofy. I'm trying to keep it low profile which is why I got the Turnbull mount.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Minimal experience with an FF3 on a Glock 40 10mm. It does its job...so far.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Tag for reference!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Older setup, but one of my hunting buddies put an Aimpoint on his 358 Winchester Browning BLR. It's been a great combo for him for many years now. Mostly elk, some mule deer and a few black bears.

Fast handling and it's never given him any problems.

Guy

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I just ordered a holosun 407 green dot to go on a Browning Bar I use for deer hunting in front of dogs. It would be a different footprint than the mount you have. I've had an original Fastfire on a turkey gun for probably 10 years and it has served me well. I didn't go with a fastfire this time because I wanted a 2 moa dot and I wanted to try a green dot. I like the Burris' auto brightness on the FF. Wasn't sure I would, but it seems spot on and it has enough battery life that I turn it on at the beginning of turkey season and turn it off at the end. One thing I didn't like about the FF 4 was that it turns off after 8 hours. I'd be pissed if I turned it on in the morning and it had turned itself off before dark. I wanted long battery life that I could leave on all season (the Holosun has 50'000 hours plus a solar backup), shake awake, a 2 moa dot and one that would mount as low as possible. I really liked the Leupold, but just couldn't get past the advertised 300 hour battery life.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
I just ordered a holosun 407 green dot to go on a Browning Bar I use for deer hunting in front of dogs. It would be a different footprint than the mount you have. I've had an original Fastfire on a turkey gun for probably 10 years and it has served me well. I didn't go with a fastfire this time because I wanted a 2 moa dot and I wanted to try a green dot. I like the Burris' auto brightness on the FF. Wasn't sure I would, but it seems spot on and it has enough battery life that I turn it on at the beginning of turkey season and turn it off at the end. One thing I didn't like about the FF 4 was that it turns off after 8 hours. I'd be pissed if I turned it on in the morning and it had turned itself off before dark. I wanted long battery life that I could leave on all season (the Holosun has 50'000 hours plus a solar backup), shake awake, a 2 moa dot and one that would mount as low as possible. I really liked the Leupold, but just couldn't get past the advertised 300 hour battery life.

I thought I was all set on a Vortex Venom so I ordered the mount and then started second guessing myself. I ended up going with the FastFire 3 3MOA. I was about to pull the trigger on the CT RAD Pro in Green Dot form but I haven't seen a whole lot on them beyond the pistol lasers so went with a proven model. I ordered through ExpertVoice so it may take a few weeks to come in but for the price I paid, I'll wait. I think had I gone with the RMR Mount, I'd be going Holosun 407.

IC B3

W
WBT Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I put a Trijicon SRO on my Bighorn 90 and don't care for it at all. I'm going back to the Skinner sight it came with.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by WBT
I put a Trijicon SRO on my Bighorn 90 and don't care for it at all. I'm going back to the Skinner sight it came with.
What didn't you like about it?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Hunted last season with a model 71 Winchester, Turnbull mount, Burris FF3 . I am only 6” group accurate at 50 yards and pie plates at 100. Game accurate but really would like a finer dot , you can only do so much with a 3 moa dot .

Another item I encountered was the lighting of the reflex sight took over the sight picture at the last 15 minutes of shooting light , prime time on a bear stand .

The Turnbull mount uses the doctor pattern so limits your selection of reflex sights .

The big guys didn’t show but was able to sight on lots of game both bear and deer I am very sure could have been in the freezer .

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Also to answer your question on recoil , 100 rounds of 348 Winchester and no issues with mount or fastfire

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Maine_Rifle
Hunted last season with a model 71 Winchester, Turnbull mount, Burris FF3 . I am only 6” group accurate at 50 yards and pie plates at 100. Game accurate but really would like a finer dot , you can only do so much with a 3 moa dot .

Another item I encountered was the lighting of the reflex sight took over the sight picture at the last 15 minutes of shooting light , prime time on a bear stand .

The Turnbull mount uses the doctor pattern so limits your selection of reflex sights .

The big guys didn’t show but was able to sight on lots of game both bear and deer I am very sure could have been in the freezer .
I put a 3 MOA red dot on my T/C Hawken muzzleloader last season and was easily shooting one ragged hole groups at 50 yards.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I read people do that , old eyes or maybe form but I cannot. Would really like to try a Trijicon “triangle” like the ACOG has .

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
When shooting with a red dot for groups, I find it really matters that the target matches the dot. I shoot best so far shooting at a square made out of duct tape that is sized so I can see a little cardboard around the dot while centering the dot in the square.

W
WBT Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
It's unnatural and somewhat difficult to describe without holding it in hand. The SRO offers a pretty big sight picture. However, the red dot has to be adjusted almost to the very bottom of the lens. Your eye wants to focus on the center of the optic, but you have to look at the very bottom of the sight. It's just awkward and the reality is I won't shoot the rifle beyond 100 yards anyhow, so iron sights are fine for that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have three FF3s and an original, which is going on twenty years old. They get moved around a lot, been on shotguns, a .357, various .22 handguns and rifles. The FF3 is a bargain when on sale at $150 or so. Only downside is the really awful battery cover, which seems to be the only complaint in reviews. Thankfully, the batteries last a long time.

That Turnbull mount is a wonderful thing.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
When shooting with a red dot for groups, I find it really matters that the target matches the dot. I shoot best so far shooting at a square made out of duct tape that is sized so I can see a little cardboard around the dot while centering the dot in the square.
I just used a 3 inch black bull and centered the dot in it from 50 yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 55 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.