Print Thread
Hop To
B
blanket Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Was night hunting for hogs this past week using IR and thermal this past week. Came away that IR is better for shooting and thermal better for spotting. What say?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lots see it the same way you do.

I tend to agree with one caveat... Brush. In thick brush you get more reflection that can white out your image with thick brush when the IR light hits it.

Overall, if I had to chose one, I'd choose thermal.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How far back was it when you posted those night hog hunt videos?
I forget what you were using in those...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
How far back was it when you posted those night hog hunt videos?
I forget what you were using in those...

A year or two.

One thing I forgot to mention before is the cloud of gunsmoke after the shot also reflects in the IR light, and can white out a followup shot. If it's foggy, it affects both, but you can still use a thermal.

I still hunt with them, I have just been remiss in wanting to hit the record button. wink

As a comparison, here's a video of IR digital NV and one of thermal. What you see through the eyepiece is clearer than what they record, in both cases.

IR NV:

Super Hogster Thermal:

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rockinbbar states it well. Brush deflection and muzzle blast white out are the main drawbacks to IR. If you are hunting established lanes and are likely to only get one good shot anyway, it is a pretty cheap way to do it and the picture can be very decent. I think a thermal handheld is critical for spotting, be it a monocular or spare scope.

This is all based on my rather limited experience. A guy around here could be pretty well equipped with a $1600-1800 spotter and a $600 IR setup for hunting hogs on woods lanes and food plots inside 250yds.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't own either but a friend of mine hunts with Thermal at night. He tried a ATN and says it's flimsy and doesn't give enough detail. My grandson got an ATN Thor I believe. It has a lot of gee whiz stuff on it but it weighs a ton. He went hunting with another friend that uses a thermal and when he came back he decided he wanted a thermal. I believe that unless you are able to set up in a stable position to shoot and let them come to you, you are going to have a difficult time carrying around a lot of weight all night hunting. That's just my opinion. I have some decent scopes and when it gets dark they don't help much.
I have looked through both and I must say that a good thermal makes things look very clear in the dark.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Barry art to know.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rainshot
I don't own either but a friend of mine hunts with Thermal at night. He tried a ATN and says it's flimsy and doesn't give enough detail. My grandson got an ATN Thor I believe. It has a lot of gee whiz stuff on it but it weighs a ton. He went hunting with another friend that uses a thermal and when he came back he decided he wanted a thermal. I believe that unless you are able to set up in a stable position to shoot and let them come to you, you are going to have a difficult time carrying around a lot of weight all night hunting. That's just my opinion. I have some decent scopes and when it gets dark they don't help much.
I have looked through both and I must say that a good thermal makes things look very clear in the dark.

Aside from the weight of the digital NV, you have the weight of the IR light to mount on the rifle as well. A decent IR light adds quite a bit of weight.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
True that and the light is necessary for decent optics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

A two-fer!!! 💪

If coyotes pursuing coyotes – thermal for both scanner and scope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's Army use now?

Politics is War by Other Means

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.