Print Thread
Hop To
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Can you correct it without taking medication the rest of your life?

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m on it for the rest of my life. No way to correct it by yourself

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on the cause. If it was made worse by the Covid shot, you likely are screwed unless you try the recent detox stuff.

The Gov wanted to ban NAC so I would start there.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was diagnosed with it 20ish years ago after weeks of chronic listlessness, sleepiness during the day, and weight gain over the previous three years. Was prescribed Synthroid, took it for several years. When initially diagnosed, my TSH level results were in the 7.0-9.0 mU/L range. 0.4 - 4.0 mU/L is considered normal.

I began to eat more healthily, cut out artificial sweeteners (diet sodas have been linked to it), and stay active. As I adjusted my lifestyle, I decided to ditch the drugs and deal with it by lifestyle changes if possible. I did that about 12 years ago.

My annual bloodwork now shows higher than average but still considered acceptable TSH (3.5 - 4.0 mU/L), but I'm drug-free.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HoosierHawk
I was diagnosed with it 20ish years ago after weeks of chronic listlessness, sleepiness during the day, and weight gain over the previous three years. Was prescribed Synthroid, took it for several years. When initially diagnosed, my TSH level results were in the 7.0-9.0 mU/L range. 0.4 - 4.0 mU/L is considered normal.

I began to eat more healthily, cut out artificial sweeteners (diet sodas have been linked to it), and stay active. As I adjusted my lifestyle, I decided to ditch the drugs and deal with it by lifestyle changes if possible. I did that about 12 years ago.

My annual bloodwork now shows higher than average but still considered acceptable TSH (3.5 - 4.0 mU/L), but I'm drug-free.

I think the OP is stating levels lower than normal.

Hypo, not hyper.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hypothyroid will ruin your life. Fatigue, "brain fog," depression, feeling cold all the time.
I have had it for years. I went to a doctor years ago and he said I could effectively treat it with supplements. And he was right.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I take 5 iodine pills and 2 selenium pills every day. I suggest you buy a bottle of kelp, which contains iodine. One pill has 225 mcg iodine. Take 3 or 4 pills in the morning. Try it every day for a week or 10 days. No side effects. If it doesn't work for you, throw it away, you have wasted $7.

After that, try 2 selenium pills every day and see if that does you any good.

By taking these inexpensive supplements, my hypothyroid is gone, thank God.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can get in to see an Endocrinologist. Might have to battle with your Doc and insurance though.

Many general practitioners and internists mistakenly believe they know what the [bleep] they are doing when it comes to endocrine system failures.

I dealt with severe hyperthyroidism in 1990 and my idiot GP at the time thought they could deal with it with drugs and almost killed me. Endocrinologist brought in diagnosed my problem correctly through a battery of expensive tests. 32 years later still here.

Dumb mother [bleep] almost made my pregnant wife a widow.

Not saying that will happen to you but many docs and insurances just want to prescribe thyroid hormone replacement therapy without finding the underlying causes.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Hypo, not hyper.
High TSH levels indicate the thyroid isn't producing enough hormone, which is hypothyroidism. Conversely, low TSH means too much hormone is being produced, or hyperthyroidism.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by bobinpa

depends on what you call medicine, if your referring to the doctor route, why would want to if its so easily and inexpensively solved.
t3 and t4 levels are really hard to measure, and most endos and docs don't even talk about rt3, so most labs test for TSH with is almost worthless.
lets start with a little backround called the Circadian circle, which indicates the pulse, type release of the process. Without getting to deep, the cortisol that is released is the basis of the cycle. This is were most endos start their approach and why things get screwed up. Cortisol controls metabolism by controlling the iodination of t4 to t3 or rt3. rt3, blocks the effect of t3, and during times of stress which calls for more t3, which increases the stress and causes burnout.
The half live of t4 is up to 7 days, and the half life of t3 is six hours. This is why there are no good lab tests. Most t3 is made on sight in the cell with an enzyme which requires selenium as a enzymatic cofactor. Nobody in the world gets enough selenium unless you take supplements (as discussed above). or enough iodine, also suggested above.
the problem with taking just t4 or Synthroid totally ignores the renal stress that has developed and the predominance of the Synthroid converted to useless rt3.
Find a doc that will give you a good ratio of synthetic t3 and t4

Last edited by Etoh; 03/04/23.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Thanks, Etoh.

I will offer

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I had half of mine removed, thankful I’ve had no issues

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Hypothyroid will ruin your life. Fatigue, "brain fog," depression, feeling cold all the time.
I have had it for years. I went to a doctor years ago and he said I could effectively treat it with supplements. And he was right.

I take 5 iodine pills and 2 selenium pills every day. I suggest you buy a bottle of kelp, which contains iodine. One pill has 225 mcg iodine. Take 3 or 4 pills in the morning. Try it every day for a week or 10 days. No side effects. If it doesn't work for you, throw it away, you have wasted $7.

Thanks, just got a bottle of kelp to try this.

Last edited by Buck52; 03/03/23.
B
bobinpa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the replies.... A little more info. About 8 years ago, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid. I was a walking zombie. ALWAYS tired, no matter how much sleep I got! My TSH was really high. Around 12.0 - 13.0 if I remember correctly. Dr couldn't believe it. Said that might have been the highest he ever saw. Put me on Synthroid and then switched to Levothyroxine. In about 6 months got me balanced to around 4.0.

The problem is that I just resent having to take it. I can afford it. I can take it.... I just wish I didn't have to. I would like to find a healthy way around it.

8 years ago I ate worse than I do now. I was about 5' 10" and 205 - 210lbs. I work construction and always felt I could eat what I want and just burn it off at work. A few years ago I decided to get in better shape, not great but better. I cut out fast food, pop and garbage. Started at 205 and got down to 186... In the last couple years put a few back on but hover around 190 - 195. Eat some fast food for convenience and drink some pop, about 1-2 20 ouncers a week, but not a lot.

I eat a lot of meat. Mostly elk and deer. Some locally raised pork and store bought chicken. Usually eat it with rice and frozen veggies. Try to eat right but it's not always easy. Lately this thyroid is getting on my nerves, just want to get away from the meds... Just don't want to be dependent on them.

Looking for realistic ways to ditch the meds.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobinpa

Didnt read past this.....yes, depending. 1st, screw TSH. Know free t4, free t3...AND TPO, TgAB, and even TSI. If its autoimmune, hard to stop. Slowly kills thyroid. Hashimotos. Dealin with it since 2014. 100mcg levo and decent diet got my TPO down but still high at lil over 400. Got a nodule im watchin, actually need scanned again but damn insurance says "not medically necessary"...im bout to kick some mfers ass here soon. Theyll cover it eventually.

Point is, depending the cause, ya you can control it. Wish you well, its a sob when its out of control. Good luck.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
It depends on what is causing the hypothyroid. Doctors treat you with drugs and most will not treat the root cause. There is a reason Morton sells iodized salt, Iodine is required for your thyroid to work properly, this was taught in health class in high school when I was a kid! What they didn't teach was you also need Zinc and to a lesser extent Manganese. Most of us mere mortals are not getting the Essential Vitamins and Minerals our carcasses need to function right! Over 60% of the world's population is deficient in Magnesium,

HiNT>>>>>Get a blood draw and have it checked for Essential Vitamins and Mineral levels and compare the results to known standards available on many websites! If deficient buy specific supplements of what you are deficient in. Avoid the hard compressed pills as they do not breakdown well and will affect the uptake of what you are trying to get more of. Capsules, gel caps or chewable supplements are much more digestible.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
clarification that is sometimes confusing

Synthroid=levothyroxine=t4
t3=liothyronine=Cytomel
t4 is not active
t4 is converted rt3 and t3 under the direction of cortisol at the cell level.this conversion is in real time and forms the basis why exercise alone does not work for weight loss......

boutique salts do not contain iodine
kelp contains iodine. and is the preferred source if high blood pressure is also a problem- no sodium in it.
tablets are not the problem its the ingredient you want made up as a salt- the negative part of the molecule is either. a Cl,nitrate, or sulfate ion and not absorbed, Formulations that have esters, caprylates, ethers, are attached to the active part and are absorbed better, they also cost more.

hormone therapy does not began or end with thyroid--- if its off so are the others. check out bio-identical hormone replacement

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
When you see "IODIZED" on a container of salt, that means it contains iodine. They put iodine in salt to support thyroid function.

If your thyroid gland is damaged like mine is, you need additional iodine. You can also get iodine from seafood such as shrimp or from fish caught in the sea.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Hypo, not hyper.
High TSH levels indicate the thyroid isn't producing enough hormone, which is hypothyroidism. Conversely, low TSH means too much hormone is being produced, or hyperthyroidism.

Copy.

Learn something new every day.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Buck52 check your messages.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Amos63, 35, 257_X_50, afisher, alffe, 7 invisible), 840 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,916
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.