Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got any favorite tricks for bad weather rifle care? Especially on a hunt that is longer than 1 day, involves camping/tent etc?

What do you do to keep rust at bay, keep your rifle in top shape, etc?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I carry an old t shirt with sufficient oil on it, in a gallon zip bag. Back in the day, when I camped in a tent in Alaska, if it fell below freezing I left my rifle outside leaning against a tree with a trash bag draped over it. These days I stay in a hotel or lodge. Just wipe my rifle or shotgun down at the end of the day. Works for me.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My "bad weather" rifles generally have a synthetic stock and a stainless barrel (I still own several rifles with chrome-moly barrels and wood stocks, but I tend to save them for fair weather). Nylon strap.

I put tape on the barrel's muzzle. I keep lens caps on my scope (may take them off the ocular lens and let them dangle, if sitting in the rain/snow, muzzle up, so the objective lens is still protected).

A quick wipe down of the exposed metal with a Rusteprufe Applicator Wiper at the end of the day, or whatever else I have on hand for that task. Some lens cleaner for the scope lenses if necessary.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't have to do it all that often, but for walnut/blued, a coat of quality wax (antique furniture) on wood and metal works well. Eletrical tape over muzzle.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I bought a stainless/synthetic Savage axis 2 so I could stop worrying about the gun and focus on seeing whatever I’m after. A quick once over wipe down after and I’m good. After having my walnut blues for decades I got so attached I felt like I was abusing my friend, hell they all had nicknames for crying out loud. I’ve got a bunch of little balloons for the muzzle. Fwiw the Savage wears a Leupold that cost more than double the rifle because it’s just bad economy to give into temptation and go cheap. My 2 cents, stay safe.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mr. Igloo: I've hunted Alaska now 5 times: 3 on Kodiak Island and have only used 2 different wood stocked-blue steel rifles. Contrary to what you read, given proper pre-hunt prep, and in-field care, these rifles work just fine. This is the prep I do: put several coats of wood finish INSIDE the stock to prevent moisture affecting that wood IF any gets inside. Prior to putting the barrelled action back in the stock, I use RIG or Corrosion X to coat all the metal BELOW the stock line. Once the stock and metal are re-assembled, I use electrical tape all along the barrel channel, forend, and muzzle to hopefully keep all water and moisture out. On my hunt last spring, I used Johnson's Paste wax on the outside of the stock. The Kodiak hunts are 10 days long: each night before getting in the sleeping bag, I run a bore snake thru the bore and then re-tape the end of the barrel even though I haven't taken any shots.

When I come home from these hunts, I always dis-assemble to check the inside: I've never seen any indication of moisture issues. I don't doubt that stainless- synthetic is superior for nasty weather, but it is NOT necessary. Remember, wood and blued steel have worked well for many, many years even in the harshest places like Kodiak. I prefer the rifles I use in Alaska so don't want to buy replacements. Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After having my wood stocked .308 poi change 10” from getting soaked in an opening day rain, I decided that painted stainless/ synthetic was the best way to go. Condensation from bringing the rifle inside at night and freezing it the next day has saved lots of deer. It also took out the battery compartment of my winter varmint lighted reticle scope. We usually kept our rifles in the locked vehicles over night in deer camp.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You DUMB Fhuqks are a hoot! Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Windfall
After having my wood stocked .308 poi change 10” from getting soaked in an opening day rain, I decided that painted stainless/ synthetic was the best way to go. Condensation from bringing the rifle inside at night and freezing it the next day has saved lots of deer. It also took out the battery compartment of my winter varmint lighted reticle scope. We usually kept our rifles in the locked vehicles over night in deer camp.

Windfall, I had similar with my old Model 88 Winchester. Huge point of impact difference from wet to dry seasons. By the time I had removed enough wood from the barrel channel in the stock….it looked like it was ready to lay down a sewer pipe there!

When I had what would be my “do it all” only hunting rifle built……I got it as weather proof as could be done back in the day! My only regret….if I had waited 4 years, Winchester would have their Model 70 available in SS. I would now have a SS action! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Things like to rust, that’s for sure. Stainless/synthetic for sure. The steel bases, triggers, and any other steel part can pit/rust. Add saltwater/air to the mix and you can get all kinds of stuff going on.

I have started wiping down with corrosion x. See if it makes a difference. It sure helped the boat hardware.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
RIG

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left....
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I treat my rifles with Eezox.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Igloo
Got any favorite tricks for bad weather rifle care? Especially on a hunt that is longer than 1 day, involves camping/tent etc?

What do you do to keep rust at bay, keep your rifle in top shape, etc?

Rust seems to form much more slowly at lower temps. Your biggest problem will be taking the rifle in and out of a heated environment, which is a good way to encourage ice formation in places like the bolt/firing pin/trigger. For the most part if the rifle stays cold your life will be easier.

Your normal lube/cleaning routine will probably work just fine. Just avoid putting the gun through those temp swings.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
Things like to rust, that’s for sure. Stainless/synthetic for sure.

Almost all stainless barrels are 416...which has a lot of carbon in it. That's why your barrel is magnetic and doesn't handle rust as well as other stainless parts made from 300 series stainless.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Around salt water, don't reoil over the old. Use hot water to remove the salt hot enough where most will evaporate then reoil or wax.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the perspectives, experience and tricks guys...appreciate all of it.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I hunted in Southwest and South Central Florida for two decades I used a ruger tanger wood stock blued 30-06. Weather could be wet and humid but mostly my concern was my sweaty hands. I used a dish rag and rem oil on the rifle at the end of everyday. Never any rust or any issues with it. I was out in the woods from 3-5 day stretches.

Alabama is where I hunt now and it is wet there in the hunting season. I use synthetic and stainless or coated rifles there these days. I wipe them dry with a cloth every day and clean and wipe them with CLP.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Living and hunting on the Oregon Coast in typically bad weather with salt air and moisture always trying to wreck my gear.

After coming in from a day of hunting where my rifle got hosed. I will take my air compressor and lightly blow out the water from the barrel and action. Then run the air at a higher rate to shoot down between the barrel and the stock channel to force the water laying in the stock out. I don’t run a cleaning rod down my barrel, just air.

I also don’t hit my scope with the air. The scope just gets a light wipe down.

After that, I will take a t-shirt/rag with some CLP and give all the metal surfaces a light wipe down.

After the season. I do the same thing, except I will run a cleaning rod down the barrel. I then take the rifle into the house, with the action open, and let the rifle dry out for a couple days.

I don’t use excessive lubricants when I’m storing my firearms in the gun safes. I’ve found too much ‘gunk’ will build up after months of being in the safe.

I also remove my slings from the rifle and hit the swivels with a light coat of oil as well. Swivel metal tends to rust fast here on the Coast.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Corrosion-X.

Yup.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Around salt water, don't reoil over the old. Use hot water to remove the salt hot enough where most will evaporate then reoil or wax.
+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (2ndwind, 300s, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 338reddog, 338rcm, 37 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,620
Posts18,474,012
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.