Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
This morning we were blessed with more snow. Now I get to go out and get a good workout shoveling. Plus practice plowing and piling the wonderful white addition. Anyone else look forward to the morning workouts?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We've had a lot of snowfalls this winter but the deepest at one time was only 2 or 3". We keep getting warm spells that melt it off, then we'll get another inch. We got about an inch yesterday but it'll be gone by midafternoon.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Snow is all north of here today plus in our mountains

Just dry/cold/windy

Tired of messing with the snow too

About 40" all totaled so far....

Wild bird seed ? Right at 250# so far using only one feeder

Next Sunday is time change.....winter over ..............

Or just more daylight hours to see & move snow

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Moisture is moisture...we need it....but whatever happened to the old climate model where the inland valleys got rain usually up around 3,500 ft and the mountains got the snow. In SW Siskiyou county is Deadhorse summit, HWY 89, a low pass, 4,500 ft, the snow stake read 8 1/2 feet Friday...and it has been snowing lightly the last 36 hrs. Forecast for 5 more days, snow. The elk probably moved to Arizona.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone who is capable of resurrecting that post about the fellow who started off wanting to have it snow and eventually goes off his nut needs to insert it here.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

H
Heym06 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Moisture is moisture...we need it....but whatever happened to the old climate model where the inland valleys got rain usually up around 3,500 ft and the mountains got the snow. In SW Siskiyou county is Deadhorse summit, HWY 89, a low pass, 4,500 ft, the snow stake read 8 1/2 feet Friday...and it has been snowing lightly the last 36 hrs. Forecast for 5 more days, snow. The elk probably moved to Arizona.
It is kind of different this year. Jackson county reciever more a week or two ago than we did. I've been watching the ocean currents, mostly wondering how tuna fishing will be affected this year. The warm water is out aways, from this time last year. The passes are getting hammered, and we are barley at or a small percentage above normal. The salmon and steelhead are coming in strong in several drainages, so thats a plus. The keno elk are in the flats around the farm lands, and doing fine. Spring is just a short time away, and in six months, we'll wish we had more snow! In the mean time it's keeping me from the range and gravel pits, for shooting. So the hobby shop is keeping me busy, making parts for a couple small projects, I've been wanting to finish!

Last edited by Heym06; 03/05/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I put ice melter on the steps

Less than 6 inches, I just drive over it

It will melt, [bleep] shoveling

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have never shoveled snow.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hanco
I have never shoveled snow.
I liken it to mowing. Only the grass falls from the sky, it may fall every day and accumulate in large amounts, wind may blow large amounts of grass onto where you already mowed, the grass can freeze or get heavier the longer you delay, if you happen to drive on the grass before mowing it, it will leave an compressed ice mound-track that will remain the entire winter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
John, do you mean the email forward, "A Canadian immigrant?"

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Weird winter here. Never got really cold, but we had a few big snows, including one in mid November that dumped almost 2 feet over a day and a half, then melted off in a few days, then we got hammered with wind and snow 2 days before Christmas. Hard to tell how much we got out of that one because of the blowing, but it was around 15-20 inches.

Things settled down in January as usual, regarding snowfall, then we got a couple smaller snows in late February, including another 20 inches over 2 days about a week and a half ago. The last 2 days have been sunny and mid-40's and the snow is going quickly. I expect another good snow or 2 in the next 2-3 weeks, then it'll be mud season followed by bug season.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We’ve received the most (by far) that we’ve gotten in the 23 years at this location. I’m always wanting more snow, as we need the moisture desperately. This years had been pretty good for us…..starting to wonder where to push it all, as our Polaris Ranger is limited in it’s abilities! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes. Used a Polaris Sportsman 4 wheeler with plow for years. During heavy snow years ran out of space, and driveway got narrower and narrower. Also the 4 wheeler tried to climb the deep snow rather than push it.

Bought a compact utility tractor with rear blade and front end loader. Rear blade is heavier so scraped better that 4 wheeler plow. Front end loader lets me move piles of snow whenever I need to.

Sold the 4 wheeler, bought then bought a Gravely side by side with power bed for wood. Think it would plow well if ever I need something for redundancy.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by cv540
Yes. Used a Polaris Sportsman 4 wheeler with plow for years. During heavy snow years ran out of space, and driveway got narrower and narrower. Also the 4 wheeler tried to climb the deep snow rather than push it.

Bought a compact utility tractor with rear blade and front end loader. Rear blade is heavier so scraped better that 4 wheeler plow. Front end loader lets me move piles of snow whenever I need to.

Sold the 4 wheeler, bought then bought a Gravely side by side with power bed for wood. Think it would plow well if ever I need something for redundancy.

cv540 I have a tractor, but to use it I have a very high risk of putting gravel into the yard. But, if this continues……..I may have to risk it! 🙂 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cv540

I plowed with a Polaris ATV for several years and made the same move as you about 10 years ago. The tractor is slower at moving light to moderate snow amounts, but when the snow piles up, the tractor shines where the Polaris failed.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
We have had snow on the ground since early November. We had couple of decent ones 10-12 inches and until three days ago it was about 2 feet deep.We keep getting 3-4 inches each week.

I have a 60 inch snowblower on the back of my Kubota and loader on front that will handle 3 feet of snow. Also a 30 inch 20 HP Yardman walk behind blower and 24 inch Ariens blower. I have dug out some 8 foot drifts a time or two with the bucket. My wife usually does the side walks down the garage/barn

The problem with plowing is you run out of space to plow it to and the driveway gets narrower and narrower. People around here with ATV' s trying to plow deep snow usually give up.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This winter for most

A tractor with FEL is a must to keep the snow the hell outta the way

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beretta_Shooter916
I put ice melter on the steps

Less than 6 inches, I just drive over it

It will melt, [bleep] shoveling
Same.

No sidewalks to get sued over. I have a quad with a plow but it isn’t worth the hassle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
What's snow? The last we had of any size was over 2 years ago....and I fine with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,918
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.