Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
atkinson,

I think the .338 Win Mag might be the single best elk round going. I own one & love it. However, it is a bit much for mule deer.

I think most hunters buy rifles for elk and either never hunt elk or hunt them so infrequently as to make the purchase suspect. I think most hunters should buy an excellent deer rifle such as the .30-'06 because it will work on elk when it is so used. After all, most hunters spend most of their hunting time chasing whitetail & muleys.

BTW, as much as I think the 7MM Rem Mag is a most excellent cartridge, I think if I were to start all over again I'd probably go with either a .270 Win, or .280 Rem, or .308 Win, or .30-'06 and be happy as a clam. But I do love the fact that with my 7MM Rem Mag I can handload a 160 Nosler at better than 3100 FPS with absolutely no sign of pressure. In fact, while testing loads I once got over 3200 FPS with R22 powder, but it was hot and I saw no reason to risk anything when I sit pretty using H4831 with a charge that was once considered less than maximum. I know I could increase the charge, but why? 3100 FPS with a 160 grain bullet is more that sufficient for all North American game!

Last edited by Mando; 11/23/07.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it is a bit much for mule deer.
I guess that could be, but it does work well. A 210gr Partition started at between 2900 and 3000fps seems to make an impression on them! Besides, in some places I hunt both elk and deer at the same time or at least on the same trip. Much less to pack...

But, I shoot does and pronghorn with my .338 Win Mag as well, so I guess you could say I like the results thus far... laugh

Last edited by pointer; 11/23/07.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I sure like my 338/06. I use the 180BT's for deer amd will use the 210 partition for elk

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
To me theres just something sexy about the 7mm. I don't know what it is, probably the fact that my dad killed a butt load of elk and deer with his REM 700ADL 7mm.. Not an expensive gun, but it shoots like crazy and kills just as well.. I shoot 180gr bullets from my 300WSM, and he shoots 160's out of his 7mm.. There isn't an animal around thats gonna be able to tell the difference..... I like the fact that the 7mm can reach out a long ways, even if I never shoot an elk 500 yards out, its nice to know the 7mm can..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ray:+1; good advice.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
jetjockey,

The second most accurate rifle I have ever fired was my departed friend's 700 ADL in 7MM Rem Mag with a factory stainless barrel circa 1965. While may Sako is bedded with an excellent trigger, his was stock and shot nearly as good.

BTW, when that cartridge was introduced, factory 175 grain ammo left the muzzle at better than 3000 FPS, which made it better than fantastic. While a couple hundred FPS ain't gonna matter much, the higher velocity made it appealing.

I do have old reloading manuals that list 3000 FPS with 175 grain bullets. By today's standards, they'd be above max loads. But if they were safe then...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mando... Sounds like the same gun my dad has. Stainless barrel produced in the late 60's to early 70's I believe. One of these days it gonna get a complete makeover. Cerakoted of some kind and a nice beautiful piece of wood to go with it. It shoots sub 1 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards with factory ammo. That 7mm makes me want to start hand loading..

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Mando
If there is a difference it would assuredly be negligible save for longer distances. BTW, if you reload you should be able to easily surpass 2950 with 160 grain projectiles out of a 24" barreled 7MM Rem Mag. I get 3100 plus with reloads that are not max.

X2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
jetjockey,

The 700 action is famed...for good reason. The 700 ADL, to me, is actually a better looking gun than the BDL. But that's just my opinion.

The out-of-the-box accuracy of the 700's is nothing short of phenomenal. Even with factory loads, under an inch brings nothing more than yawns.

Before altering your rifle, check with an appraiser. I believe the early model 700's with stainless barrels are worth money.

It would not take much to get me going again in the direction of the 7MM Rem Mag being the single best cartridge... If I were held to one projectile I'd probably opt for the 160 Nosler, but the 150 ought to be about as good. Do you remember when Remington loaded a 125 grain Core Lokt? I never tried one, but I'd bet it would have been excellent for long range muleys!

If you're gonna reload for it, PM me & I'll let you know a few of my loads that have produced amazing results. I shoot a Sako with an AV action that I think is on par with the 700 action in terms of strength. So if the loads are safe in my rifle they ought to be more so in yours.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mando.. The barrel has already been rebluid. But now its a dull blue where the action is more shiny. Collector value isn't gonna do anything for me on that rifle. It has the Remington pressed checkering instead of real checkering as well. The gun will get handed down to me, and I will hopefully have a son that I can hand it down to. Thats why were thinking about refurbishing it. However, its a great gun now, and it doesn't hurt as much when you but another ding it it. So, we might just keep hunting with it as well..

Jet

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
jetjockey,

I am with you 100% here. The rifle obviously has sentimental value to you, and I'm sure it'll always remain in your family, as it should. It is an excellent rifle that's 100% reliable, accurate beyond belief, and chambered for a cartridge that is what many consider to be the single best for all North American game. A rifle like that deserves to do what it does best: reliably put meat in the freezer while creating memories that will last a lifetime! Therefore, I would not hesitate to give it a complete makeover.

Good huntin',

M

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I would just take my 35 Whelen pushing 225's to 2700fps ave. Good enough.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have both a 338/06 and a 7 Rem Mag...

There is not a real contest here...

338/06.. regardless of bullet weight...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
7 mag w\160 Nosler Partitions

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you want to shoot'em up, 7 mm. If you want to eat as much meat as you can, 336-06 no doubt. High velocity rounds do a lot more meat damage, let alone noise and aggravation. Just my opinion.
-P

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jeff_Olsen
How about split the diff and go .325 WSM?

I know... there's just me and like 5 other guys on the planet with 'em... that's why I'm always pimpin' them!

:-)

-jeff

So its you and me and four other guys. Thats cool. I shy away from words like perfect and ideal when talking about elk rifles because there are so many good choices, but those words come awful close to being right on when talking about a light weight 325 WSM as a rough country elk killer.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
lodgepole,

Agreed 100%. Winchester made a big mistake when they tried to sell the .325 WSM as being the equal of the .338 WM, because it isn't and it's easy to demonstrate that. What it IS, is the equal of the venerable 300 Win Mag in terms of energy, but with a slightly fatter/shorter bullet (IE, a 200-gn 8mm will be shorter than a 200-gn .30-cal).

But the rifles you can get it in... aye... there's what makes .325 WSM special! Take a Browning BLR or a Kimber Montana in .325 WSM, hold it in your hands, feel how light and short and responsive it is...think about the power level it generates, combined with the manageable recoil... it's pretty special stuff. IMHO.

However for non-reloaders I have to recommend the 300 WSM instead if they indeed even want a WSM.

But.. back to the point of this thread and to touch on what you said... there are MANY fine choices for an elk rifle and 7mm mag or 338-06 are two really good ones. No doubt.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'll tell you another one I think will be a dandy if it gets chambered in the right rifles and that is the 338 RCM. Not that I need one, but I'll sure as heck grab one up if I can find the right rifle in that chambering. I dont want one bad enough to go the custom route but things might just work out anyway.

" A little solitude is a mighty precious thing "
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by atkinson
I am not much into calibers as I am into bullet construction and bullet placement..

I consider 300 yards as my max range..The elk is a big tough and magnificent animal and I have seen too many get aways when shot at longer ranges..

I have noticed over the years that a absolutly excellent shot can hit an elk every time at ranges up 400 and even 600 yards, I have also noticed he is the one that wounds the most elk, and a piss poor shot just misses and goes on until he shoots one at 50 yards, maybe..

Develope your hunting skills, get closer, be a hunter not a shooter.

Ray, I agree totally. Your experience is showing through, again.

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is how I would decide.
1st which of your rifles is more relible?
2nd which is lightest?
3rd which do u shoot the best?

My elk rifle is 325WSM Montana.

randy..
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 33 invisible), 2,016 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,089
Posts18,501,838
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.