Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That wasn’t directed at you personally just a general fact.

I’m not going to “extricate” myself from a gun fight I will avoid the situation if at all possible but I train to fight and protect my loved ones.

That’s me being me.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Can anyone cite a single instance where a civilian's life was saved because he had an extra loaded mag on him? One instance?

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
That wasn’t directed at you personally just a general fact.

I’m not going to “extricate” myself from a gun fight I will avoid the situation if at all possible but I train to fight and protect my loved ones.

That’s me being me.

Good for you. We're all happy for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
I don’t understand why anyone would need an extra magazine or a high capacity pistol. Unless you’re playing on your computer against zombies.

That's precious.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
So, no then.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
To me, it's pretty damned easy to carry a handgun, even one that carries 11 rounds of 9mm onboard, but that extra step of carrying a spare mag triples the level of difficulty for me, pushing it onto the wrong side of the edge of that risk/benefit balance, particularly since you can handle just about any civilian encounter with criminals with 11 rounds or, if you can't, that 12th round likely wouldn't have mattered.....

If we can count on needing no more than that, then by today's standards (the latest iteration of the 365 line holds 17 rounds!), we're done and have no need for a spare mag. But round count isn't the only reason for a spare. Speaking from experience, having a mag base break and dump all its contents on the ground would have left me with a single shot, had I not been carrying another mag. Other types of mag failures are a consideration, of course.

The interesting thing that comes to my mind is that while I think "triples the level of difficulty" is hyperbole, it is a fact that extra double stack mags are not as convenient to carry as our old 7 round mags. So, if one's primary reason for having a spare mag is not for more rounds but for dealing with a failure, then perhaps it makes more sense to carry a 7+1 single stack pistol with a spare mag. wink

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can anyone cite a single instance where a civilian's life was saved because he had an extra loaded mag on him? One instance?

And you know the specific details of every defensive shooting in the U.S. nationwide for how many years going back?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
No. That's why I ask.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Can you identify a single human on this planet besides yourself who considers it more difficult to carry a spare magazine than the gun it goes into?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not a civilian, but relevant.

lotta rounds

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If your carrying a double stack with 15 or more rounds I don't see the point. A smaller capacity single stack then maybe.

Romans 5:1
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The average is 3 rounds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the proper question to ask would be "how many civilians have died in a gunfight because they ran out of ammo"?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TC1
The average is 3 rounds.

How up to date is that information? It was three rounds in the 1970's and maybe through the 80's. My guess it is more than that now.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
This mall shooter fired the 24 rounds, the young man that stopped him fired 10 rounds

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...reenwood-park-mall-suspsect/65375869007/

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Seen a video the other day of something like 16 cops having a rolling gun battle with one guy in an SUV. They fired a couple hundred rounds and only made 4 hits however 2 of those hits were on other cops!

Missing is real easy and there's no such thing as too much ammunition on hand.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by TC1
The average is 3 rounds.

How up to date is that information? It was three rounds in the 1970's and maybe through the 80's. My guess it is more than that now.

I don't know. It comes from the FBI. I read an article recently that said it was closer to 2.5 rounds but everybody thinks 2.5 rounds sounds strange so they say 3. That's the average so you know the vast majority are solved in 1 to 2 rounds.

Carry what ever makes you feel comfortable. I do. That old guy with the wheel gun is still just as dangerous as he ever was.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I think the proper question to ask would be "how many civilians have died in a gunfight because they ran out of ammo"?
Okay, how many?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The interesting thing that comes to my mind is that while I think "triples the level of difficulty" is hyperbole, it is a fact that extra double stack mags are not as convenient to carry as our old 7 round mags. So, if one's primary reason for having a spare mag is not for more rounds but for dealing with a failure, then perhaps it makes more sense to carry a 7+1 single stack pistol with a spare mag. wink

In addtion, it seems the chance of magazines falling apart or falling out of the gun needs to be factored into the Pistol vs. Revolver debate.

I had never given it much thought, but over the years I've seen more than a few competitive shooters toss a magazine down range under the pressure of drawing the handgun.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Okay, how many?

If I had been at the Steve Scalise baseball game shooting, where the attacker had an SKS and was at some distance, and I only had a handgun, I would want my G40 with extra mags.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,936
Posts18,498,755
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.