Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Maine_Rifle
Also to answer your question on recoil , 100 rounds of 348 Winchester and no issues with mount or fastfire

That's good to hear. I saw a few photos of Burris and other dots on double rifles and figured that the recoil of a rifle is probably less violent than what they endure riding on a handgun slide.

I read people do that , old eyes or maybe form but I cannot. Would really like to try a Trijicon “triangle” like the ACOG has .

I know at one time the RMR (I think RMR but definitely Trijicon) came with a triangle instead of a dot. I think that would be the best of both worlds. A big triangle for moving game and a precise point for those shots you can take your time on. There would be a change in impact but at close range it wouldn't be enough to matter.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Buckshot77
When shooting with a red dot for groups, I find it really matters that the target matches the dot. I shoot best so far shooting at a square made out of duct tape that is sized so I can see a little cardboard around the dot while centering the dot in the square.
I just used a 3 inch black bull and centered the dot in it from 50 yards.

Or an 8” @100

[Linked Image]

Actually, I had another target stapled directly above it and held on that one.

That date should be 1-4-23 BTW.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/05/23.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hunted last season with a model 71 Winchester, Turnbull mount, Burris FF3 . I am only 6” group accurate at 50 yards and pie plates at 100. Game accurate but really would like a finer dot , you can only do so much with a 3 moa dot .

Another item I encountered was the lighting of the reflex sight took over the sight picture at the last 15 minutes of shooting light , prime time on a bear stand .

The Turnbull mount uses the doctor pattern so limits your selection of reflex sights .

The big guys didn’t show but was able to sight on lots of game both bear and deer I am very sure could have been in the freezer .

Could your groups have been affected by your loads, too? I have an original 71 with the bolt-mounted peep sight, and so far can't do much better than about 4" groups (IIRC) with my most recent load -- and that assumes an appropriate sighting target.

OTOH, I put a FF3 with 3MOA dot on a 6.5 bolt rifle and was getting some decent sub 1-1/2" groups...

-Chris

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 71 would do better with a Williams FP and an orange bead. Still have a target somewhere shot from the sit. 60gr I4350 and the Hornady 200gr.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went with a Sig Romeo 5 on one lever action and a Vortex Sparc Solar on another. The Sparc Solar is solar powered which I really like in terms of battery life. Both have wake on motion. As others have stated, you can't see tree limbs. Therefore, I think something like a PimaryArms 3x ACSS prism setup would be perfect for a lever action:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...nated-acss-raptor-762-300bo-reticle-yard

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a 1949 Winchester 94 in 30WCF

About 6 months ago, I put a Turnbull base on the rear sight for a mount and put a Burris FFIII on it. Got it sighted in rather quickly and it is my FAVORITE walking rifle. The red dot is 3 times quicker for me and it is more accurate at 100 yards than I was with irons. Once you try it, there is no going back. I have let friends try it and they all smile and then tell me how slick the rig is.

HIGHLY reccomended.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Aimpoint

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by WBT
It's unnatural and somewhat difficult to describe without holding it in hand. The SRO offers a pretty big sight picture. However, the red dot has to be adjusted almost to the very bottom of the lens. Your eye wants to focus on the center of the optic, but you have to look at the very bottom of the sight. It's just awkward and the reality is I won't shoot the rifle beyond 100 yards anyhow, so iron sights are fine for that.
Fair enough. I'm setting up a couple rifles with dots now. I took a sig Romeo 5 off the Browning Bar because I couldn't quite mount it as low as I wanted. With my cheak tight against the stock like I like, the dot sat lower than center like you described. I think I'll be able to mount the Holosun lower than the sig. I'm putting the Sig sight on a Ruger American in 350 legend just to play with.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by devnull
I went with a Sig Romeo 5 on one lever action and a Vortex Sparc Solar on another. The Sparc Solar is solar powered which I really like in terms of battery life. Both have wake on motion. As others have stated, you can't see tree limbs. Therefore, I think something like a PimaryArms 3x ACSS prism setup would be perfect for a lever action:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...nated-acss-raptor-762-300bo-reticle-yard

I have a few prisms, a PA Cyclops and some Bushnell Lil Ps. Like the clear view and focusable sharp reticle, and the battery-free option. Downside is the limited ER, which can be a problem for mounting in some cases. Also find the ACSS reticle in the Cyclops a bit busy for hunting.

Romeo 5s are pretty nice, though both mine were a bit reluctant to adjust. Seem to be holding zero though.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ranger , was of the same mind that the old rifle might be tired until I mounted a Williams after seasons to do more load work and shrunk those groups by better than half.

There is better reflex sight options I would really like to try but Mr Turnbull would have to manufacture his mount like a smith M&P with multiple adaptor inserts for multiple sights , I would think that is possible and maybe even financially sound ?

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My solution for a lever action 450 Bushmaster is the Aimpoint Nano made for B&T AG in Switzerland for their pistol carbines. It is similar the the Aimpoint Acro. I have not used it for hunting yet but will this next deer season. I have avoided red dots for a long time but this one rings the bell for me. It uses the ACRO mounting base and I am having a scope base machined to allow it to be mounted as low as possible.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ranger , was of the same mind that the old rifle might be tired until I mounted a Williams after seasons to do more load work and shrunk those groups by better than half.

There is better reflex sight options I would really like to try but Mr Turnbull would have to manufacture his mount like a smith M&P with multiple adaptor inserts for multiple sights , I would think that is possible and maybe even financially sound ?

Heh... in my case, I don't think my rifle is the tired one. More like my eyes...

Once you finished your load development, did you go back and re-check with the red dot?

I've been loading with 760 and the accuracy is OK/acceptable, even with some good groups occasionally so I think any inaccuracy is all about my eyes... but I'm thinking to try some StaBall 6.5 to maybe gain some temp stability and maybe some de-coppering. I reckon I'll get a round tuit one of these years...

-Chris

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ranger , I have not switched back to the FF3 , I may by bear season though . As you say too many projects . Whether I build a custom mount or locate something manufactured I would like to put something more inherently accurate than the FF3 … 3” moa on that rifle ….. I hunt with several VXR scopes with fire dots ,the magnification keeps the dot from overpowering the view. But scoping a model 71 is not practical or appropriate…… probably a dot makes a lot of people hurl ….I think I am going to pursue the trigicon if I can manufacture a mount

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Pappy , the primary arms rig and even the one vortex makes similar I think would provide a clearer dot and finery aiming point. But the picanny rail mount is an isssue on my 71. Any options you’re aware ?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had good luck with Trijicon MRO's on AR-15's. Should work fine on a lever gun.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.