Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
If anyone out there is planning on a safari around May-June of 2008 and is looking for a partner, email me - I just found a killer deal and am very close to booking. Would love to have someone else along, as I would also like to do some touring before or after the hunting portion.

GB1

What is a killer deal???? And who is it with???

Life is short - Dance naked!
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Casey67
What is a killer deal???? And who is it with???

65,000 acre game ranch, owned by a wealthy german. Hunting is a hobby for him and he limits the total number of hunters to only 25 per year. Not much of a future for a booking agent but just great for the hunters. There is very little hunting pressure, abundance of game, and one of the best licensed Namibian PH's as resident farm manager.

Until recently, all of the hunting clients have been European. To help me attract more American hunters, the owner is allowing me to offer 2006 rates and trophy fees. Due to the strength of the Euro, this is like getting a 35% discount off the top.

Otjikoko has an American package that is even better. For 1 x 1 , it is a 7 day hunt @ $4,950. It is inclusive of everything, no hidden or additional charges. It includes transfers from Windhoek to the farm and return, PH, vehicles, trackers, trophy prep., hunting permits, first class board and lodging, beer and wine, daily maid and laundry service. Also included are the following: 1 bull kudu, 1 gembok, 1 impala, 1 warthog, and 1 springbok. You can delete and swap for a mountain zebra which is on an adjoining property. You will probably have to pay an additional $250 for the zebra.

The facilities is first class with restaurant quality food. The Doctor owns three adjoining farms totalling about 170,000 acres. He has within Otjikoko, a 12,500 acre high fence game park to contain certain species like eland, waterbuck, black and blue wildebeest, giraffes, and ostrich. The rest of the species is free ranging. Eland are valuable and a 6 ft. fence will not restrain them.

50" bull kudu is average. Since you are in good shape, you may wish to hunt on the adjoining Osera Omewa farm where the terrain is mountainous, but 55" kudu is given and must be worked for. Baboons and jackals are unlimited and free.

For Namibia, the property is quite large. The Omaruru River runs thru it. There are nice riverines with heavily forrested and brush areas giving good attractive cover for both game and hunter. There are many natural and man made waterpoints that retain the desired game. Hunting pressure is minimal. The PH, Tommy Hall, is one of one 15 Namibian PH's licensed for all big five. He is world renowned. Tommy is also the resident farm manager.

May and June are the best times to hunt. May is filled and the first three weeks of June is open.

Otjikoko is one of Namibia's best kept hunting secrets.

To take zebra, you must travel by car to an adjoining farm. It's a little over an hours drive. The trophy fee is 500 Euros. or $700-$750, subject to the exchange rate at the time you hunt. I will delete the springbok and you can pay the difference. So far, Tommy's hunters for the last two years have been 100% successful with zebras.

Baboons and jackals are UNLIMITED and FREE.

For every baboon you kill, the doctor's wife will also give you a kiss. She hates baboons and will go out alone to hunt them. They almost killed her dog.
Fortunately, a very good veteranarian was able to save the dog.

The only mandatory immunization shots is Yellow Fever for international travel. Otjikoko is in a malaria free area. Check with you physician and he will recommend additional shots like mine did. I took everything like tetanus, Hepatitis A, etc, etc. If you go up north to Etosha Nat'l Park, then malaria pills are mandatory. Malarone is preferred as it gives you less nightmares.

Please don't look only at the low cost offered by Otjikoko. The extremely high value for price mainly lies with the PH, the facilities, the property, the abundant game, and mostly the people involved. Your hosts are extremely nice and high class. They make sure that you are the most important person during the visit. You are treated with more attention than you would receive in a 5 Star resort.

As I indicated the owner limits to only 25 total hunters per year. I am allowed to book only 10 Americans. The other 15 are regular Europeans.
They do not advertise. They do not WANT a website. Why, the owner has told me that he wants everything to be "perfect" for the guest hunter. I told him that in this world, nothing is perfect, and we argued that point for quite a few minutes. He's a very German, and an extremely wealthy one. He is not money motivated. He used to hunt but his age and failing health prevents him from enjoying his "backyard" to the fullest. Thus, he is happy to hear about your hunting experience and will make try to have lunch and dinner with you each day.

We were fortunate that the farm owner had hired Tomas, a retired German chef who emmigrated to Namibia. Tomas is fabulous. His wife's family are also German bakers. Tomas made desert, "Stassburg knockle".
(sic?) souffle filled with sweetened whipped cream. Good German beer is on tap with frosted mugs, anytime. Just walk over to the "lapa" (eating
pavillion) and help yourself. Even your breakfast is sit-down with waitresses.

On Otjikoko, aka MWFarms all beer and wine is included at no charge. Schnapps is also served at no charge if you indulge after dinner. The lady of the house enjoys her champagne so she will inevitably open a bottle of very fine champagne of offer you some. The doctor enjoys his scotch. So, if you also like scotch, get a bottle from duty free. The beer is terrific German beer on tap. It is made in Windhoek. You have frosted mugs in the fridge and you can help yourself anytime in the open lapa.
Inevitably, you will be served.

With airfare (under $2000 more than likely) and the hunt, you are looking at around $7000 - anything else is discretionary. I'm predicting when all is said and done, dip/pack paid for trophies, some sightseeing, shopping, etc. it will still be under $9000 total for two weeks.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Are you an agent for the Herr Doktor and Frau?

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Otjikoko is one of Namibia's best kept hunting secrets.

They do not advertise. They do not WANT a website.

The are known, I looked at their web site earlier in the year. Check this URL http://www.otjikoko.com/main_english.htm

Please clarify your position with this operation and explain these misstatements. While I might be interested in hunting in this location, these discrepancies lead me to caution.

IC B2

This guy has been asking a ton of basic questions on here and on Accurate Reloading about how do you do this and how do you do that. Has been playing the rookie role to the hilt. Now he comes up with the above BS.

Makes me wonder what his real intent is.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Uhm, guys - I'm just a regular guy, an X-ray tech in Florida who has never been to Africa or associated with anything remotely resembling hunting, travel, etc. Just trying to see if anyone was interested in going along.

The website you posted is NOT the Otjikoko operation I am talking about. They don't have a website. It is actually called Martin Walter Farms, and it is about 40km from Omaruru.

I heard about it from a boardmember on AR, did some research, and am booking with him on Monday.

I realize you all don't know me, have no reason to trust me, and that's fine with me. I apologize for stirring people up - I don't know what I can do to get you all to believe that I am simply what I say I am.

Moderators - if you wish for me to delete this post please let me know.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The only mandatory immunization shots is Yellow Fever for international travel.

John, the above is true only if you are traveling from a Yellow Fever endemic area. It isn't needed if you're traveling direct from the U.S. to Namibia via either Europe or South Africa.

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by mikeh416Rigby

John, the above is true only if you are traveling from a Yellow Fever endemic area. It isn't needed if you're traveling direct from the U.S. to Namibia via either Europe or South Africa.

Thanks, Mike. I was wondering how I was going to explain to my doctor I needed a Yellow Fever innoculation. From what I understand, though, if I do some touring in the northern part (Etosha) I'll need to get some Malaria meds, right?

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
The PH, Tommy Hall, is one of one 15 Namibian PH's licensed for all big five.

John, the above is NOT TRUE at all! We are about 40-50 PH's (about 35 NAPHA menmbers) in Namibia that are licenced for all big game.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
IC B3

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K

John, the above is NOT TRUE at all! We are about 40-50 PH's (about 35 NAPHA menmbers) in Namibia that are licenced for all big game.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by JohnCrighton

Thanks, Mike. I was wondering how I was going to explain to my doctor I needed a Yellow Fever innoculation. From what I understand, though, if I do some touring in the northern part (Etosha) I'll need to get some Malaria meds, right?

As a Malaria Propholaxis I suggest Malarone as it appears to have fewer side effects than some other meds out there such as Larium. You also need to have a Tetanus booster, and although not required, I highly reccomend the Hepatitus series of shots, as well as a Polio shot. Polio has seen a comeback over the past few years in Africa.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looks like someone promoting this hunt needs to get their facts right about the number of "all game" PHs. I wonder how much else he might need to "correct" before we have the true story on this place? Before booking, I'd want at least 5 current references to contact. Sometimes a deal to good to be true...is just that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

I am interested in the mountain zebra, but not so much the others, as I have them already, some several times over. I always like to hunt kudu and gehmsbok, however. What could be arranged and prices for the zebra and an eland, providing they have good ones? I would be taking a drilling and want some bird hunting, also.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Karl Stumpfe

I'll have to check and see where I read that - perhaps I was mistaken. I have so much information flying at me right now it isn't even funny - I think I'll need 6 months just to wade through all the emails, suggestions, posts, etc. - and I haven't even started packing yet - ack.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JohnCrighton

As a Malaria Propholaxis I suggest Malarone as it appears to have fewer side effects than some other meds out there such as Larium. You also need to have a Tetanus booster, and although not required, I highly reccomend the Hepatitus series of shots, as well as a Polio shot. Polio has seen a comeback over the past few years in Africa.

Thanks - luckily I work in a hospital and have current Hep A&B shots, but will get boosters for everything. Be prepared is my motto.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by John55
Looks like someone promoting this hunt needs to get their facts right about the number of "all game" PHs. I wonder how much else he might need to "correct" before we have the true story on this place? Before booking, I'd want at least 5 current references to contact. Sometimes a deal to good to be true...is just that.

I'm going to get and check some references. This is a lot of money for me as I don't make a lot.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari
John,

I am interested in the mountain zebra, but not so much the others, as I have them already, some several times over. I always like to hunt kudu and gehmsbok, however. What could be arranged and prices for the zebra and an eland, providing they have good ones? I would be taking a drilling and want some bird hunting, also.

Send me an email and I'll get you in touch with the booking agent - I have no idea about the bird opportunities there.

Ooooo - love Drilling rifles - got a pic?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
John, who is the booking agent? I'm familiar with many of them.

Still no response on who the Booking Agent Is. Interesting!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,336
Posts18,487,642
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.