Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 50 1 2 3 4 5 49 50
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MickeyD
I'm somewhat lacking in knowledge on buffalo and Indians restoration of them.
Many tribes? Which ones? How many buffalo involved with each? How much acreage involved with each of those restorations? Free ranging?
Documentation on how much buffalo eat compared to cattle? Documentation on reproductive rate comparisons.

Not saying your wrong or being a smart ass. I just don't know and your statements, if true, need documentation from reputable sources.

What I do know is that the myth about the Indians being great stewards of nature is just that-- a myth.

Ask the ranchers around ft belknap how well they maintain their herd lol.

MAGA
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Indigenous knowledge. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ’©πŸ§ 

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They taste good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many tribes? Which ones? How many buffalo involved with each? How much acreage involved with each of those restorations? Free ranging?
Documentation on how much buffalo eat compared to cattle? Documentation on reproductive rate comparisons.

Not saying your wrong or being a smart ass. I just don't know and your statements, if true, need documentation from reputable sources.

What I do know is that the myth about the Indians being great stewards of nature is just that-- a myth.

I have two within a short drive of me and know of many others. If you do a little homework you'll find the info you seek.
Some acreages are quite small actually and are stocked accordingly. Look up what an AUM is she you can find out a lot there as well. They have pretty much every animal you can think of figured out for how much it will graze. There are lots and lots of bison herds all over North America that do just fine. Yet this one will supposedly end mankind or destroy local beef markets, producers etc? Pick a new argument if you got something against Buffalo. Your talking points here have lost time and again and have been proven time and again to be unfounded. Sure you could probably cherry pick and find a case somewhere to back your claim, but isolated instances don't show a trend.

I won't argue the stewards of the land part you mentioned.

Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's someone else's duty to teach you. You possess the power and means to learn all on your own.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The govt. proposal reads like a fairy tale.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
So much info shared here is completely and horribly wrong.

Many tribes have restored bison herds and manage them well. Bison are heartier than cattle and eat about the same amount of grass, a little less actually. They reproduce at the same rates but often live longer. Brucellosis can be spread by cattle or bison just as easily and affects them similarly. That myth reminds me of some of the COVID BS we were told.

Threads like this remind me of the vast ignorance of boomers. No wonder they drove this country into the dirt.
Bison have exactly the same effect on grazing that European cattle do. They are probably tougher, I know the meat generally is tougher and not near as tasty as fed beef. Brucellosis has been eliminated in domestic cattle. The USDA has certified every state free of cattle brucellosis. Bison bulls will breed domestic cattle and vice versa which along with bison afterbirth could very well spread disease. Bison herds are infected and almost impossible to 100% corral as evidenced in the annual Custer Park roundup, therefore culling Bangs positive bison would be problematic if you can't even catch them. I can understand western farmers not wanting a bunch of fence breakers weighing up to a ton in their pastures, alfalfa fields, and highways.

As far as the Indians. For the most part their reservations are slums and would descend into a much worse abyss without the huge injections of federal aid every month.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Hebrew Roots Judaizer
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Restore the bison.

What could go wrong?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I was more savy …..

I would post Ted Nugent live….

The Great White Buffalo!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj8n5KF88n9AhXdIjQIHYW2BVEQ3yx6BAgYEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVMZwS0ZonEU&usg=AOvVaw1KdQoTyySdOlW7wHm5cYZp

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/07/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Many tribes have restored bison herds and manage them well. Bison are heartier than cattle and eat about the same amount of grass, a little less actually. They reproduce at the same rates but often live longer. Brucellosis can be spread by cattle or bison just as easily and affects them similarly. That myth reminds me of some of the COVID BS we were told.

Threads like this remind me of the vast ignorance of boomers. No wonder they drove this country into the dirt.

Not so much.

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The "buffalo commons" has been in the works for a long time and idealogues never give up.

Nothing against bison or the tribes tho.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Ask the ranchers around ft belknap how well they maintain their herd lol.

It's retarded.

Those Indians forgot the magical thrifty buffler needs water to drink......and killed a pile of them.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Supported by BCHA. Land Tawney quoted."

Why are these guys involved and what do they get out of it?

IDK, 25 million? Like it was mentioned above, the cookie jar will have all kinds of hands in it (maybe that answers my question above) and what is left over will be crumbs, not even scraps.

Best guess is:

Most of the money gets laundered to the DNC.
Res Chiefs get their cut.
BCHA gets theirs.
Becuz - climate change.
Democrats check off their "we tried for you box; so vote for us in order to save the planet from evil carbon (but really we need the money for more fuel for our private jets and support for evil commie activities).

Last edited by 4winds; 03/07/23.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Sounds like a great plan.πŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄πŸ₯΄

Full of .gov bullschit and plenty of potential graft for those connected to it....

Don't they have alot of problems with wild horses on fed and private lands out west also....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blanket
That will make driving exciting
That was my first thought as well! My second thought is that 85% (I have no idea what the percentage actually is) of those grasslands are owned by people, and a lot of them are fenced off for beef cattle.
You probably won’t find anybody who would love nothing more than to gaze upon a herd of buff stretching to the horizon as much as I would.
I know I was born late. I missed the muscle car era by 30 years and exploring the beautiful plains and mountains of the west by 100 years!
But I’m a realist, and I try to think and act on factual information.
Buff on the highways is gonna cause havoc. Buff pushing down fences to go where they please is gonna cause a separate havoc.
And as others have said, name one time anything the government has done worked out for the good.
Other than The Manhattan Project, I got nothing!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." οΏ½ Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Exactly! I'm aware of local regions where they are successfully restoring the bison herds and native grasses. I'm all in favor of restoring them on a much larger scale.

What a lot of those ignant-assed boomer comments are leaving out is that it was the US Govt and greedy buffalo hunters engaged in a genocidal war against the Indian tribes that nearly wiped out the great herds. As a matter of fact, in my early years, I lived just a few miles from where the last known eastern woodland buffalo was killed and it wasn't by an Indian. A dumbass hillbilly did it.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ah yes....but....there is a money laundering outfit called the American Prairie Reserve that is buying private property along with huge BLM leases with money swindled from retarded bleeding heart types from the coast.

Hell...they just got allowed to graze all year long by the BLM. NO for the cattlemen.

It just takes money.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Exactly! I'm aware of local regions where they are successfully restoring the bison herds and native grasses. I'm all in favor of restoring them on a much larger scale.

What a lot of those ignant-assed boomer comments are leaving out is that it was the US Govt and greedy buffalo hunters engaged in a genocidal war against the Indian tribes that nearly wiped out the great herds. As a matter of fact, in my early years, I lived just a few miles from where the last known eastern woodland buffalo was killed and it wasn't by an Indian. A dumbass hillbilly did it.

Oh my.

I guess bleeding hearts in Alaska too....

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Of course it's a scam of many prongs and proportions. One problem facing bison is inbreeding. There's vary limited DNA varieties, so the idea was to cross buffs with cattle, then back to kinda fix it. No idea if they did it or not. They really were nearly extinct. Having been stuck in traffic 2 1/2 hours while the Navaho held their annual fair in Shiprock, it seems prudent to leave Comanches in charge of logistics. Unless comic hilarity is the desired effect.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Lol

I’d be fine if the machine gunned the current herds from helicopter.

MAGA
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Jim is correct. One has to know which congressman to buy for whatever scheme you have. I like seeing a few buffalo in contained ares by private ranches. These are trying to make a profit and not drain tax payers money. Edk

Page 3 of 50 1 2 3 4 5 49 50

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 907brass, 32_20fan, 1badf350, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,672
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.