Print Thread
Hop To
C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Just finished the (audio) book. I've listened to a lot of books and probably this is my favorite. The television series is good but the book, as almost always is the case, is so much better. Half the book or more is thoughts of and commentary about the characters. Each one is known intimately.

Big picture? Bama aint so bad, believe I'll stay here. Women are freaking crazy and a man's carrot makes him do stupid things. grin grin grin

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have the regular type book. The movie is good, but the book is really good

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We listened to the audio book many years ago…..friggen awsome! The movie was good…..the book was great! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
One of my favorite movies of all time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I read it about a year before the movie came out. Really good.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I have the regular type book. The movie is good, but the book is really good
Million thoughts go thru my head trying to read a fuggin book

I should clean out the freezers
I should rig electrolysis and clean the rust off my tools
I should sharpen the chains on all of my Stihls
Am I a queer for reading
I need to change my oil in 7 vehicles
Damn, I need to take the backhoe dig out those stumps
That creek crossing is getting rough, need some rock in there
I gotta paint the fuggin house this summer
Yes reading is gay
Damn starlings are getting behind that floodlight
Need to respool all of my catfish rigs

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of what Larry McMurtry wrote is worth reading.

He also didn't give a chit about history, or using historic figures to entwine HIS perception of what they were... wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I read it over a winter. Long story.

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of my favorite books and favorite movies/tv series. His other books are good, but none compare to this one.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I think Comanche Moon was the best book of the series.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by memtb
We listened to the audio book many years ago…..friggen awsome! The movie was good…..the book was great! memtb

I have almost all of McMurtry's books in my library. I have read them all and will go back and read all of them again. Loved that movie too...... smile

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read all 4 in the Lonesome Dove series back to back while sitting in a National Forest I'm my RV.

Great story, best read in order 1 through 4.

1.Dead Man's Walk, 528 Pages, set in the early 1840s.
2.Comanche Moon, 816 Pages, set in the 1850–60s.
3.Lonesome Dove, 864 Pages, set in mid-to-late 1870s
4.Streets of Laredo, 589 Pages, set in the early 1890s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

He also didn't give a chit about history, or using historic figures to entwine HIS perception of what they were... wink

Yep. One of my favorite authors. Wonder if any of his kids are running his book store in Archer City now that he’s passed away in 2021 ?

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/07/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

In one of his books he has a young Gus and Call watching over a river crossing from Mexico with their Winchesters IN THE 1850s.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I read the book before the first series came out. I thought the series was great and the book was better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I believe that's true since Lonesome Dove was based on the Loving-Goodnight cattle venture which led to Loving's death. Loving and Goodnight weren't going to Montana, and the attack which led to Loving's demise took place on the Pecos River rather than in Montana but the parallels are not coincidental. McMurtry made one hell of a great story out of a real event.

The prequel, I believe, was Comanche Moon. I think that one is purely fictitious, but some of the places described can be recognized. One such place is present day Monahans. That was a great read as well.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read recently that Chip Gaines, the home restoration celebrity, bought McMurtry’s bookstore and intends to reopen it.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I believe that's true since Lonesome Dove was based on the Loving-Goodnight cattle venture which led to Loving's death. Loving and Goodnight weren't going to Montana, and the attack which led to Loving's demise took place on the Pecos River rather than in Montana but the parallels are not coincidental. McMurtry made one hell of a great story out of a real event.

The prequel, I believe, was Comanche Moon. I think that one is purely fictitious, but some of the places described can be recognized. One such place is present day Monahans. That was a great read as well.

McMurty pondered this very thing through the character Clara and her dream of becoming a writer. She pondered how to create a character, should they be based on someone you know and their story? Clara decided if she should ever write a book it would be based on her Mexican hand, Cholo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost becomes a hall of mirrors, doesn't it? Tickles the brain.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Just finished the (audio) book. I've listened to a lot of books and probably this is my favorite. The television series is good but the book, as almost always is the case, is so much better. Half the book or more is thoughts of and commentary about the characters. Each one is known intimately.

Big picture? Bama aint so bad, believe I'll stay here. Women are freaking crazy and a man's carrot makes him do stupid things. grin grin grin
I finished the audiobook last week. It was a great listen. I agree that the more intimate details expressed in the book shines a new light on the series.

I will give credit that the movie was not as far from the book's storyline, as is with most movies that are based on books.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.