Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Seriously. A buddy of mine had a set, said he picked them up at the county dump where someone had thrown them away. That turned out to not be the case as was later discovered. But that is another story…

There was five trumpet shaped horns of various lengths and sizes up to about 3 ft long on a single manifold. He set them in the back of his service truck and plumbed them in with an air tank. He had a 1/4 ball valve mounted in the truck cab to release the air from the tank into the horn manifold. You could literally hear them for three miles.

He had some good stories about folks with their heads up their ass or on a cell phone not paying attention at green lights! His helper commented one time, just don’t ever blow it when a little old lady is carrying her grocery’s to her car in the krogers parking lot!
I don’t see how it kept from cracking the windows in his truck. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah - they're a common addition to big trucks and I had a friend in HS who had a set plumbed into his Geo Prism. Saved for scaring people walking along, not paying attention. Lotta noise in that little car....

Me

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes. We hid a set in the bushes next to the front door of a classroom building at college.

It was across the street from the diesel shop where we were.

Our fun was mostly well received....until we honked an Auto teacher.

Fugg was he mad.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
These were not your everyday air horns.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've always wanted to get one and mount it to a wagon and run out of random yards at night with a spotlight aimed towards cars sitting at stop signs.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
These were not your everyday air horns.

Right.

The school had an agreement with the BNSF to service and repair the HVAC units on the GE engines.

Plus....we supplied techs to the GE engine shop.

We had access to train horns.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My Dad had a steam whistle from an old steam locomotive on his Aultman-Taylor steam tractor. It was deafening.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
We lived on a farm on the north side of the BN SF main line between Denver and Chicago. Many freight trains and Amtrak each day. Many times I would be on a tractor working the ground close to the tracks and have a train come up behind me. Engineer would blow the horn and you would almost jump right off the tractor. Learned to swivel head for sure.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I've been known to have a set or 2 laying around

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Me

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A friend of mine had a set at his camp at Cypremort Point, Louisiana. He had an old school air raid siren too. His Suburban was fitted with a set of Flowmasters which probably wouldn't pass legal scrutiny either.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No horns but I have a train headlight. Not sure what engine it’s from, it was here when my parents bought this place in the 60’s. Former owner worked in the RR shops. Also had a steam heated chicken house, guess where the boiler and pipes came from? grin

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A friend of mine and his partners in crime had one mounted on an old school bus they converted into transportation to NASCAR races. You could hear them coming from a long way off.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Be interestin, ta sit at a single track crossing and when a train's comin through blowin it's own horn, blow one back at it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There is a crossing in Ohio that has the track bed is cut thru a hill and the edge is lined with a fence row. I would often have to stop the locomotive there waiting for other train traffic. I would get within 150 feet of the crossing and turn off all lights including the number and running lights and wait for an unsuspecting motorist to approach and then hit the ditch lights and the horn and scare the [bleep] out of them before they crossed. Now that the Rail Road have cameras mounted inside the cab those schenanigans are over.

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny you should ask. We have (had) an asswipe that in the process of coming through our gates every morning, would blow his obnoxious train horn right at the gate which is covered and it was real painful on the ears for our guards. Turns out to be a contractor working on base and today we bushwachked him. DoN puckered him up so good he won't crap for a week AND he voluntarily removed the horn right there in the parking lot.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never owned any but, my father had a set on his car when I was a little kid. He was a fun loving guy that didn't give a schitt what other people thought.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 46 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,450
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.