Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Anyone on here enjoy the game of golf? It's a challenge that constantly brings you back on the course again and again. One minute, you think you are the best and could try and qualify for the Senior PGA. Then the next, you absolutely suck and can't the ball for anything with any club.

Me: Honest... I was kind of a "late bloomer" with golf, and took it up with help from my wife's sister's husband, back around 1987 or 1988. I remember picking up a cheesy set of Top Flite clubs at K-Mart (back then), and had no clue WTF about golf! Thankfully, my wife's brother-in-law, was kind enough to take me to a local driving range, and personally, one-on-one, teach me how to properly swing a golf club. That was it... I have been hooked ever since.

Best shot ever (Eagle): From around 145-ish in the fairway, I hit an 8-iron a bit too long, and it sailed over the green, bounced off the back grassy barrier, back onto the green, rolled... rolled... followed the "break" of the green, and straight into the cup! grin

Longest drive ever (Birdie): From the common white tees, I must have had "Divine Intervention" with my Ping driver, and cranked down on it with everything I had. I nailed it perfectly straight, ripping it down the fairway with a slight fade, to an incredible 287 yards (paced off by a nearby sprinkler head/distance marker, by my buddy).

Worst shot ever, that darn near almost gave me PTSD and want to sell my clubs (Quadruple Bogey): I landed in a fluffy greenside sand trap. I swung, and after a cloud of sand dispersed, the ball was still there! mad I swung again (repeat, but the ball went 3 feet forward). mad I swung yet again, and the ball hit the lip of the green, and rolled back down. mad I swung angrily not caring anymore, and the ball cleanly sailed out of the bunker but waaaaay out to the back edge of the green. mad 2 putts later, and I finally made it in the hole on the Par 3 and scored a disastrous 7 mad

Anyone got game? Ping? Callaway? Titleist? Taylor Made? Me.... I kind of play with a mish-mash of clubs. Ping Si3+ (from decades ago), but yet with a King Cobra 454 Driver that I found, tried out, and fell in love with. Precision Touch 52° wedge, that I stumbled upon at a garage sale, of all places. I bought it for $10 bucks, and it became my #1 short-game wedge of all time. Putters: I have an older Odyssey Dual Force putter, that I will never get rid of. I sink putts with it, and that's all that matters. My son-in-law teases me all the time and says it's an "old man putter", but I don't care. He can out-drive me, but I will out-putt him.

Last edited by ButchA61; 03/07/23.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Quickly thinking back to my original post, and people who you would never expect to be incredibly (GOOD!) golfers:

Country music star, Vince Gill --- He was so good back in the day, that the PGA actually approached HIM to join the tour! shocked Vince Gill turned down the PGA, as he made more millions playing country music and singing.

Shock rock legendary star, Alice Cooper --- Seriously... I know... Go ahead and laugh. But yes... Yes... Alice Cooper, of all people, is a freakin' "scratch golfer" and amazing back when he played in those celebrity Pro-Am events. His agents, managers, etc... constantly had to keep it quiet that the famous, hard rocking, goth rocker, Alice Cooper, was a tremendous golfer! LOL...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love golf. Played since I was a kid, 58 now. It’s addictive and gives me something to do when I can’t go hunting.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Still have my old Titlist set from back in the day when I was a regular golfer. I used to score in the middle 80s, and went golfing at least every weekend that weather permitted, and sometimes once during the week. Did that for years, mainly in the decade of the 1990s. I've played the infamous Black Course at Bethpage, on Long Island. I loved the courses at Bethpage. Things of beauty.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Golfed a lot in the high school/college years. Got away from the game for a few years. Made a brief re-entry in my late 20s, then had a long lay-off. Started up again a few years ago. I never have been much more than a bogey golfer, with occasional forays above and below that. Internal surgery that affected my core muscles, abused knees, and age have taken any sort of distance out of my shots. I have reached the point where I play up, enjoy the outing and companionship, and am playing as well as I ever did. We seldom play competitively and NEVER with "a little something going" - don't need that BS. Somewhere along the way, I lucked into a hole-in-one and a few eagles. Beyond golfing, I have many other character faults - please see first signature line.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like to play. Hate to practice and never do. I’m about an 8 or 10. As soon as it dries out a bit, I’ll start playing a time or two a week until hunting season.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a Callaway guy

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Glad to know there are other golfers on the Campfire! cool

My best round -ever- that to this day, I still can't beat: 84 on a full regulation sized 18-hole golf course.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There is a member here who hasn't logged on for years who is a pretty good golfer. He plays from the back tees and by strict rules of golf. Shooting 80 would be a very bad outing for him.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have played in a Tuesday league for many years. Play a few additional rounds, less than 5-10 per season, other than the league. The variation in my scores is pretty wide, can play well or very poor depending upon the day. Put the clubs away early October when our deer season begins.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve played since I was probably 13-14 (49 now). When I played a lot I was a 10 handicap. Haven’t swung a club in 5 years unfortunately.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
@goalie

I remember demo'ing a Callaway Big Bertha, back in the day. Unbelievable driver! You could play a draw, you could play a fade, but the price tag (back then) was like... shocked eek

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thinking about everyone else (non-golfers)...

Put it this way. You can slam a golf ball out 260-275 yards dead straight. But then your "short game" sucks, as in your pitching wedges, putting, etc...

Drive for show - Putt for dough, is a famous saying.

Believe me... I have played a few rounds with a few older Brothers from the Masonic Lodges and the Shriners... Seriously, those "old guys" will beat your a$$ every single time. I know, I know, I know. Sure... Sure... You me, and anyone, can out-drive them by 50 yards at least. But when it all comes down to it, those "old guys" will always somehow, someway, chip the ball up onto the green 1' from the cup, and sink a putt for Birdie! eek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ButchA61
@goalie

I remember demo'ing a Callaway Big Bertha, back in the day. Unbelievable driver! You could play a draw, you could play a fade, but the price tag (back then) was like... shocked eek

The stuff Callaway fit me into in December was ridiculous. $600 driver, $350 fairway woods, $325 hybrids, irons $200 each.

But the irons Paradym are amazing.

I think I came home with 4k in clubs. 😁

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If taking a 7 on a par 3 was a PTSD inducing event I'd posit you're a better golfer than you let on.

Was a time I could keep it in the low - mid 80's consistantly, sniff around 78-79 once a summer. Don't have the time available to play whenever I want anymore and am pretty happy to hover around a 90 - 92 while I house blue smoothies.

Srixon irons / Titleist woods / Cleveland wedges / Odyssey milled flat stick.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I used to play once a week or so. Never was any good at it, but enjoyed it. Never got too worked up over it. Got a nice set of Ping clubs a friend gave me when he was downsizing. Probably haven’t played in over ten years.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by ButchA61
@goalie

The stuff Callaway fit me into in December was ridiculous. $600 driver, $350 fairway woods, $325 hybrids, irons $200 each.

But the irons Paradym are amazing.

I think I came home with 4k in clubs. 😁

Helluva experience, but nice you got it.

I have to pay for mine; I try to play a couple of times a week, hit balls a couple of times a week.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love golf but sadly I cannot play anymore. Severe lower back issues, left knee is shot, right shoulder has rotator cuff issues that surgery didn't fix.

I'm on 52 but I have abuse this body beyond repair during my wild and adventurous 20's, 30's & 40's

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Golf? HA! I have a cannon that shoots them damn balls to the horizon. 300 Gr, of BP, and away they go!!!

A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
MOLON LABE
LET'S GO BRANDON!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.