Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Partagas
I have used the 130 tsx, ttsx, and now have been using the 129 lrx in 270 wby at 3450 fps. It has worked well for my on whitetail, mule deer and pronghorn. I haven't noticed a big difference but does seem to expand a bit quicker. I never had any complaints with the earlier ttsx version though. My son took this moose a little over 100 yards with the same 129 lrx load. Worked slick. He ended up taking a second shot but the moose was swaying and on its way to tipping over.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][img]https://imgur.com/OHFwBEB[/img]

Great picture!

Semper Fi
HR IC

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Partagas
I have used the 130 tsx, ttsx, and now have been using the 129 lrx in 270 wby at 3450 fps. It has worked well for my on whitetail, mule deer and pronghorn. I haven't noticed a big difference but does seem to expand a bit quicker. I never had any complaints with the earlier ttsx version though. My son took this moose a little over 100 yards with the same 129 lrx load. Worked slick. He ended up taking a second shot but the moose was swaying and on its way to tipping over.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][img]https://imgur.com/OHFwBEB[/img]

Great picture!

x2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have only shot the 127gr 6.5 m/m LRX. I took them on a cull hunt to South Africa and shot some Blue Wildebeest and a number of Springbucks with them. They worked quite well and I found it to be a very lethal bullet. I did not recover one. My main concern with them was if they would expand properly and cause enough tissue damage on the softly skinned lightly framed Springbucks at distances where the muzzle speed of 2,900+ fps would have dropped significantly. And this they did, delivering good expansion and reasonable tissue damage up to the 470 meters that I shot the furthest one (most of them I shot from 250 to 400 meters).

I took the same rifle and load to Mongolia and shot an Altai Ibex. Hit him in the front of the shoulder while slightly quartering on to me and recovered the bullet. You can see it in the picture below, which I had already put in another post here at the 24hrCF.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I shot a bull moose last year with a 30-06 using Barnes 175 LRX traveling around 2900fps. One shot @ 100 yards in the shoulder put him down, no need for follow up shot. Bullet made a complete pass through. I have had great luck with Barnes TTSX and LRX.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by lone wolf; 03/01/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by chamois
I have only shot the 127gr 6.5 m/m LRX. I took them on a cull hunt to South Africa and shot some Blue Wildebeest and a number of Springbucks with them. They worked quite well and I found it to be a very lethal bullet. I did not recover one. My main concern with them was if they would expand properly and cause enough tissue damage on the softly skinned lightly framed Springbucks at distances where the muzzle speed of 2,900+ fps would have dropped significantly. And this they did, delivering good expansion and reasonable tissue damage up to the 470 meters that I shot the furthest one (most of them I shot from 250 to 400 meters).

I took the same rifle and load to Mongolia and shot an Altai Ibex. Hit him in the front of the shoulder while slightly quartering on to me and recovered the bullet. You can see it in the picture below, which I had already put in another post here at the 24hrCF.

Awesome pictures Chamois! What was the rate of twist on the 6.5 used for the Ibex?

Semper Fi
IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W

Excellent! That Ibex pic is truly awesome. I'm sure it was an epic adventure

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[/quote]Awesome pictures Chamois! What was the rate of twist on the 6.5 used for the Ibex?[/quote]

Thank You, and WideOpenSpaces!

Twist is 1:7.75" which is standard in the 6.5X57R, the cartridge I was shooting in my Blaser K95 single shot rifle.

Notice how wide the engraving of the land is... That is because the CIP European standard for this cartridge is 4 groups and lands as opposed the the SAAMI standard of six for the US 6.5 m/m cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[/quote]Awesome pictures Chamois! What was the rate of twist on the 6.5 used for the Ibex?

Thank You, and WideOpenSpaces!

Twist is 1:7.75" which is standard in the 6.5X57R, the cartridge I was shooting in my Blaser K95 single shot rifle.

Notice how wide the engraving of the land is... That is because the CIP European standard for this cartridge is 4 groups and lands as opposed the the SAAMI standard of six for the US 6.5 m/m cartridges like the 6.5 Creedmoor.[/quote]

I saw that Chamois, I also saw the extreme angle the expanded petals were in relation to the shank. I kinda wondered if you had some extra twist on it. Lends some credence to RPM's doing some work...

Semper Fi
S
S
My son and I took one deer each this year with the same Browning X-bolt 300 WSM shooting 175 lrx hand loads at 2950 fps.
My whitetail buck was at 250 yards. The bullet went through both lungs, the deer ran 50 yards and then it dropped dead. There was considerable damage in the lungs. The bullet exited.
My son’s buck was at 185 yards, the bullet went through the heart, and exited. The deer run about 40 yards before it expired.
The bullets appear to have expanded fully in both deer.
No shoulder bone was hit on either deer.
The bucks dressed at 140 and 145 lbs. not sure what was the live weight.
I hope this helps.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
we've had great luck with them so far on deer and antelope, near and far..
127 from 6.5 Cm
129 from .270 win
145 from 280 AI.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
338-378 225 TTSX

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

30-378 175 LRX

6.5 x 300 Bee 127 LRX

And dozens more

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 32 invisible), 2,070 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,328
Posts18,526,547
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.