Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Not into politics mu h but I notice trends. The market will pick up this time next year leading up to the election. Clockwork

Hammer down!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When fuel goes up everything goes up....

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Don't want to pay the price for a good rifle, put your money in the bank and save it, I hear they're even paying a little interest on it now.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the market is soft, as a whole it won't last. Prices will rise as long as money is printed out of thin air.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m looking forward to some deals!
Let’s GOOOOOOO!
and F U { # eBay
I probably won’t ever sell another firearm again. I sold about 10 of mine off about 12 years and still regret it. My kids can have em later. They are gonna need em

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Kdf22
I’ve noticed that guns are not selling like they were. I definitely think it’s slowing down. Not just guns, everything including houses. I know my buying has halted

I agree, the economy sucks and many are not buying, or buying less, of most everything.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's a number of rifles I've been watching on gunbroker over the past 2 months and they're still selling at what I consider stupid high prices. So much so that I've thought of selling a few from the back of the safe that never see the light of day. The hassle of shipping and the cost make me reconsider. I shipped a rifle to Montana last month and it cost $105. By the time I buy a hard case and find a box to put it in you're already at $40 without shipping and insurance.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most all of us have less discretionary income than we did last year and certainly 2 years ago. And it's not just inflation, but also greed. I was at the store today and saw a popular grocery items that's up probably 60% over what it was this time last year, maybe more. There is no justification for that kind of price increase during a time of 10% inflation. I rarely leave WalMart grocery without spending $100 now. Companies are charging higher prices because they can. If we have less money to spend, firearm demand goes down and prices have to follow....or the guns just stay off the market. There are several rifles in the classifieds right now that would have been snapped up a year ago.

With our political climate now, the very real increase in crime and the very real loss of freedoms, I have to wonder if firearm buying patterns have changed. Are people buying more self-defense firearms now instead of sporting arms? Might also be a factor.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
its been slow on the local forums for sure. I would actually come here to get a decent price over what they sell for locally in most cases. The hastle and expense of shipping is going to be a real problem though.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I think what is hurting this gun market is online auctions man have you seen what guys are paying its crazy. It only takes 2 to run the price thru the roof.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Market soft, at least for things I have tracked pricing and sales for at lesst a year. I have a few nice rifles I want to sell but this is not the place.

I listed a SWFA scope for $260 with $110 rings that could be discussed if buyer was interested. Received offer for $250 and wanted the rings thrown in for free. Get f$*king bent on that. Sold on another site for asking price, then made someone a sweet deal on the rings on this site just out of principle and helping a young shooter out.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
All the things that folks have been mentioning.

For me, I'm hesitant to list things for sale now just because of shipping. I try to give folks fair deals when I sell something, but I feel dirty about the shipping costs... Using the same shipping method I've used previously the cost to ship is so much more now. After quoting someone a shipping cost a couple of days ago I felt so bad about it that I decided to cover a fair part of it.

I shipped one out a little while back and USPS gave me a massive headache about it. I explained things to the teller clearly and precisely. He called in his "boss". They discussed, tried to look up the "rules", and eventually said "We'll try it". I won't use that post office again.

If I'm not shipping, it means I'm not selling off stuff I don't use or I'm through playing with. If I'm not selling off those I'm done with, I'm probably not buying something new to play with or at least bringing in few new things.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
10% inflation...???
How come so much stuff costs almost twice as much?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I shipped one out a little while back and USPS gave me a massive headache about it. I explained things to the teller clearly and precisely. He called in his "boss". They discussed, tried to look up the "rules", and eventually said "We'll try it". I won't use that post office again.

I've found that if I'm shipping a rifle through a post office that I'm not familiar with I take a copy of the usps paperwork showing their gun shipping policies. They should know their policies, and shouldn't be up to me to educate them, but in the long run it saves me the hassle.

Last edited by codybrown; 03/09/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by chuckh_02
10% inflation...???
How come so much stuff costs almost twice as much?

The metrics which we calculate inflation with has been conveniently changed.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by D_Dial
Seems to me that the Encore and Contender inflated prices are not getting paid out anymore. Not sure on the rest of the market tho.
I’ve noticed used leupolds are hot at the moment

"Hot" on places like Ebay or gunbroker. Not here. If you want to sell one here, you have to sell it for less than actual market value. I saw an older gloss Leupold sell here a few hours ago for $100-$150 less than it sells for on ebay. That is fine, if you feel like you want to give guys here good deals.

Nothing about scopes makes them collector items. No way would I pay more now than they cost when new since manufacturing has evolved to currently produce a much better product.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The .gov sent people checks for sitting at home. Then told them they didn't have to pay rent, mortgage, student loans etc. Coincidentally, the price of funs tuff like guns, boats, quads, etc went through the roof. Now credit card balances, and repossessions are rising while savings are shrinking, so things are starting to even out.

The price of housing has also risen dramatically. We bought our home in 2017. Between the appreciation and rise in interest rates, if someone bought it from me today they'd be payin double what our mortgage is.

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Price of everything has gone through the roof. Food costs, housing, and investments have doubled in price. What makes guns any different ? Look at all the Congress critters who sold all their stocks before all the covid lockdowns and advised many large financial institutions. That's who y'all should be getting mad at.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by D_Dial
Seems to me that the Encore and Contender inflated prices are not getting paid out anymore. Not sure on the rest of the market tho.
I’ve noticed used leupolds are hot at the moment

"Hot" on places like Ebay or gunbroker. Not here. If you want to sell one here, you have to sell it for less than actual market value. I saw an older gloss Leupold sell here a few hours ago for $100-$150 less than it sells for on ebay. That is fine, if you feel like you want to give guys here good deals.

^^^^This^^^^^. The absolute worst place to sell any gun related item.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Gun sales have slowed down a fair amount. Everybody I've talked in the retail guns/shooting has said things have slowed down. There are some hard to find items (LR primers) that are still a hot ticket. Remington stuff and slowed down noticeably, although some of the desirable variations of M700/870 still sell pretty quick.

Just see all the sales/free shipping on the shooting retail websites.

The same thing is happening in a lot of other outdoor equipment markets, from skis to RVs. It's part the economy and part people bought a ton of crap.

Sellers are always the last to capitulate..

This part of the economy is where 'extra' income 'was' spent. People no longer have 'extra' income. It's going to gas, food, rent. FJB.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.