Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
If not and you live in ID, now is your chance!

HOWE, ID — Seventeen elk were killed in Howe Monday night after a semi-truck hit the animals on Idaho Highway 33.

The collision happened around 9 p.m. at mile marker 21.5, according to a news release from the Butte County Sheriff’s Office.

Brian Mays, who lives in the area where the crash occurred, tells EastIdahoNews.com the elk were standing in the middle of the road eating hay bales near his haystack. The semi driver was hauling cattle. He didn’t expect the elk to be there and was unable to avoid hitting them.

“There was probably 50 to 100 head in the road. He got 17 of them,” Mays says.

Sheriff’s office reports show a 2007 Peterbilt semi was on the scene when deputies arrived.

“Some of the elk were severely injured and had to be euthanized, several others were already deceased,” the news release says.

The Idaho Transportation Department came to help clear the road, and the Idaho Department of Fish and Game worked to remove the dead elk.

Clean-up efforts finished Tuesday morning. Fish and Game spokesman James Brower says most of the meat was salvaged by families in the area.

“It’s legal to salvage road kill in the state of Idaho. You have to report it within 24 hours. Elk meat is very good, and the economy being the way it is, people are all about getting some free, fresh meat in the freezer,” Brower explains.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is one of multiple accidents in this area involving elk in the last month.

Mays says it’s common for elk to gather on the road near his haystack during the winter. It’s a remote area with an abundance of wildlife and elk come looking for food. He works with Fish and Game to help feed them.

Tara Bowen, Mays’ daughter, says they’ve made numerous calls to Fish and Game and Butte County commissioners to try and get a sign placed on the side of the road to alert drivers about wildlife in the area. EastIdahoNews.com was unable to reach a county commissioner for comment.

Mays’ primary concern is keeping the elk away from his cattle to prevent any potential infection.

“Elk can carry disease, and if they get close to my feedlot they could infect my cattle,” says Mays.

Despite his concerns, Mays says there isn’t much that can be done because his property is in close proximity to the elk’s habitat and there isn’t anywhere else for the animals to go.

“We deal with it all year long,” he says. “They’re working with me but I don’t know what we can do right now. They’re thinking maybe the population (of elk) is getting too big in this area and they might try to get a few more hunts going during the season and help alleviate the problem.”

The Butte County Sheriff’s Office is grateful to everyone who assisted in the clean-up. The crash remains under investigation.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]imagehost

Looks like some pretty nice bulls too!

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/03/17-elk-killed-in-howe-following-semi-truck-collision/

Yours in Liberty,

BL
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, it wasn't exactly road kill, but I saw a bald eagle nail a walleye one time. As he struggled to gain altitude the fish proved too heavy for him and he released it. Some minutes later it floated in to my dock. One talon had gone perfectly into the brain is why it didn't make a getaway. Anyhow, I fileted it, breaded it in cornmeal, threw it in a pan of hot oil and it was great.

Two things. One I never expected a walleye to be on the surface on a bright, blue sky afternoon in the summer. You never know.

Two, I hated hearing about those elk. What a waste.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took home and grilled up the breast off a peasant I whacked with my pickup once.

It was good.

Black Cows Matter!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Well, it wasn't exactly road kill, but I saw a bald eagle nail a walleye one time. As he struggled to gain altitude the fish proved too heavy for him and he released it. Some minutes later it floated in to my dock. One talon had gone perfectly into the brain is why it didn't make a getaway. Anyhow, I fileted it, breaded it in cornmeal, threw it in a pan of hot oil and it was great.

Two things. One I never expected a walleye to be on the surface on a bright, blue sky afternoon in the summer. You never know.

Two, I hated hearing about those elk. What a waste.

Could've been worse

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I smacked a deer with a 1968 Ford pickup years ago. Deer looked good, so I took it home. Called game warden to get a tag, no problem.

Skinned it out. All the meat was bloody and bruised. Threw it in the field for the coyotes.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite a few road killed deer over the years. Usually salvage the end opposite of where their body was hit. The POI is usually pretty bloodshot at you wood expect.

Fear the crabcat.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I swerved and popped the nogin of a cottontail one day in the parking lot of a ski resort. Brought it home and had it for dinner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I took home and grilled up the breast off a peasant I whacked with my pickup once.

It was good.

I've done that a couple times with grouse.

Picking up deer or moose off the road will get you charged here with illegal possession without a permit.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Friend going elk hunting. Driving up to his camp site. While still on state highway, he hit a spike bull elk. Trashed his jeep and the officer let him keep it.

Good hunter. Only elk he got that year.

Made mostly stew and burger out of it. Tasted fine.

He'd often tell know-it-all types that he killed more elk with his jeep than they had with a rifle.

His son took the antlers and made a mount using beat up license plates.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Guy on the next shift said he hit a buck on his way in. We found it and cut out the backstraps and antlers. Tested just like a deer that had been shot.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sure, beef when a locker could process it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hit a turkey with my Kenworth T600 on the way home one afternoon, took it home and smoked it the next day....

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That poor Peterbilt!

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
At least two deer and one hog.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That poor Peterbilt!
John Wayne Bobbit got himself a new peterbilt

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A Calf Moose was hit by a bus, it was wounded, the cops shot it, I took it home.
Only thing wrong with it was a portion of bruised meat about the size of your fist, the rest was fine.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
If not and you live in ID, now is your chance!

HOWE, ID — Seventeen elk were killed in Howe Monday night after a semi-truck hit the animals on Idaho Highway 33.

I saw the results of a similar incident last winter driving through Idaho - counted 13 dead elk in the median along the interstate.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Roadkill deer is great for dried dog snacks, Usually there is at least one quarter that is not significantly damaged and during the winter it doesnt spoil, but frozen can be hard to cut up onsite. best to find it before it freezes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,383
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.