Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Would you rebarrel an inherited rifle to a faster twist barrel?
It’s not a collectors item. It’s just a Model 700 SA made in the 70s.
It’s not a matter of the cartridge it’s in but a question of would you rebarrel an inherited rifle? That’s the only question.
It’s a Model 700 243 made in the 70s in good condition.
Does a 700 ADL even have enough magazine length for 103’s -108’s?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 03/09/23.
HR IC

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your post is overflowing with details...it's so hard to take it all in at once.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

I wouldn't do that to any rifle...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

You wouldn’t rebarrel any rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Caliber and current barrel condition ?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Seriously, what's the chamber now & what are you considering changing to?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I wouldn't do that with any rifle either!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bugger

I wouldn't do that with any rifle either!

Not any rifle or not an inherited rifle?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You wouldn’t rebarrel any rifle?

Fast twist is one of the most over rated concepts to happen, next to the 6.5 Creedmoor...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The rifle being inherited wouldn't likely play much into my decision process - given the rifle you've mentioned. An old Sav 99 or something, yeah but a M700? That's hardly "special" outside if the inheritance.

If - all things considered - I needed/wanted the rifle to have more RPMs - yeah.

I mean - you've not mentioned how important the person was who gave you the rifle and all. I assume it's not a President or someone famous but family. How important to you were they and what part did the rifle play into your relationship?

I can't answer that for you. Just know for me - even inherited, it would have to be awful special in some way to keep me from doing the work. It was given to you to use and enjoy - I assume without condition. Do so as best you see fit. Life's too short.

That said - if I was looking for a fast twist 6mm - I'd just go buy a new 6Creedmoor and be done. Save the heartburn on the old rifle.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What bullet are you wanting to shoot and what purpose is the rifle used for?

100 gr bullets (or less) are sufficient for hunting purposes.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s not a matter of the cartridge it’s in but a question of would you rebarrel an inherited rifle? That’s the only question.
It’s a Model 243 made in the 70s in good condition.

I've done it with several hand-me-down bolt actions already. In both cases, the barrels were getting tired. I use the rifles now more than I would have if I'd left them alone, but they are still that heirloom rifle at heart. If you wanted to, you could always go for a new faster-twist SS sporter 6mm tube and then coat all metal black. It'd still look fairly similar, much like an older factory 700, but it'd now be updated with regards to twist and weatherproofing.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
fast twist isn't the answer for almost any hunting rifle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It’s a Model 243 made in the 70s in good condition.
It would depend on who handed the rifle down to me and it would also depend on how much it was cherished by the original owner.
If I were to re-barrel a M700 short action, it would probably be chambered in 6mm Creedmoor which is owning the segment now.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If it wasn't shooting good enough, yes, I would rebarrel

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
That someone would ask such a question to a wide audience is quite a tribute to the person who left the rifle. But only one person can answer the question.

I would hope that my heirs don't feel compelled to maintain a defacto museum or shrine containing unaltered artifacts of mine that bring them no enjoyment. Guns included.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
What bullet are you wanting to shoot and what purpose is the rifle used for?

100 gr bullets (or less) are sufficient for hunting purposes.

Mike

For several years when it was the only centerfire rifle I owned you could fill up a Semi-Truck with the deer it’s killed with 95 grain purple meanies. The last time I took it hunting I killed a deer with an 80 grain purple meanie.
I’ve just wanted to try some heavy bullets in 243, 103’s and up.
Reality is when I take it hunting I probably won’t shoot at anything past 300 yards with it anyway. Although a 95 BT zeroed at 200 yards has more wind drift in a 10mph crosswind than drop at 300 yards.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I don’t have the notes what we use to use behind the 95BT’s. It think it was the same load my dad used in his which back then was usually RL22 I think. It would touch bullet holes. Then a couple years ago I used 80 grain BT’s loaded with H100V and it touched bullet holes with that also.
Would like to use 90 grains and up and go with temp stable powder these days. I have a post in the reloading section for that.

The rifle in question belonged to my grandpa. WWII vet and would have been 12-14 at the start of the depression. I’m sure he would just tell me to use the heck out of it and do whatever I want with it.
I don’t know why but I use to think you shouldn’t make changes to an inherited rifle etc. I don’t know why as that doesn’t make sense. They are made to use not look at.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Do with it what you want. I agree with the fast twist opinions, but I know the rest of the world thinks you must shoot the heaviest bullet out there and in some cases, there isn’t a bullet heavy enough yet. I’m on the other side unless we’re talking about a target rifle. Rifles are to be used and enjoyed and not as static items that were once great but past it’s prime. If the idea of replacing the barrel bugs you and takes away from the original, then keep the old barrel after replacement and that way you still have it. Maybe it will trick your mind into believing its still a part of the idea of originality.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I don’t have the notes what we use to use behind the 95BT’s. It think it was the same load my dad used in his which back then was usually RL22 I think. It would touch bullet holes. Then a couple years ago I used 80 grain BT’s loaded with H100V and it touched bullet holes with that also.
Would like to use 90 grains and up and go with temp stable powder these days. I have a post in the reloading section for that.

The rifle in question belonged to my grandpa. WWII vet and would have been 12-14 at the start of the depression. I’m sure he would just tell me to use the heck out of it and do whatever I want with it.
I don’t know why but I use to think you shouldn’t make changes to an inherited rifle etc. I don’t know why as that doesn’t make sense. They are made to use not look at.

Nothing wrong with looking at them, but a true travesty if you don't use them. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (338reddog, 300_savage, 308xray, 16penny, 280shooter, 27 invisible), 2,136 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.